Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Tires again SilverWing

Go down 
+5
moonshiner
Davefirestorm
Gustafa
Chilliwing
john grinsel
9 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Tires again SilverWing Empty
PostSubject: Tires again SilverWing   Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 11:29 am

Some SilverWing tire experience passed on:
#1 IRC front works best---I have had Bridgestone, Michelin and IRC. Michelin Power Pure SC---really screwed up low speed handling/feel for me--took off replaced with Honda recommended IRC.
#2 Michelin Power Pure Rear works best as it wears round not square and will go 10,000 miles plus. This tire, rear also works well with IRC on front. IRC rear wears square...and won't go 10,000 miles. Current Bridgestone Hoop at 5,000 miles has squared, does have effect on cornering feel....going to change on July before trip.In past I have had Bridgestone rear scooter tire failures on both Helix and Reflex OEM,so no fan of the brand---current got on, after big nail in other tire and only Bridgestone was available right now at Honda dealer.

I do own tire work, find I get near best price at local Honda dealer. Recent ordered IRC matched pair under Honda parts number---$150 for the pair---3 day delivery.

Knowing that matched IRC is what Honda has tested and recommeds, Michelin Power Pure rear is fine with me,too---experience with at least 2 on SilverWings, one on Burgman 400.
Back to top Go down
Chilliwing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Chilliwing

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Tires again SilverWing   Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 2:52 pm

I am in the market for a new rear (maybe front too) and have the original 2009 Bridgstone Hoops on my swing at 14,000kms.
John if I am summarizing your post correctly the best combo in your opinion would be Michelin Power Pure on the rear and IRC on the front?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Tires again SilverWing   Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 3:56 pm

Yes I find as tires are replaced, IRC front "feels" good, Michelin wears round, lasts long time and "feel" is fine.....even at high miles
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Tires again SilverWing   Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 3:57 pm

Last post, should have said, Michelin Rear wears etc,etc.
Back to top Go down
Chilliwing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Chilliwing

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Tires again SilverWing   Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 8:23 pm

Thanks for the info John, I value your opinion given your scooter experience and many miles on the various brands of tires.
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2015-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Tires again SilverWing   Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 9:38 am

Going to check out the Michelin rear when my rear Pirelli wears out, Pirelli squares out.
Back to top Go down
Davefirestorm
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davefirestorm

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2016-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Tires again SilverWing   Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 07, 2016 4:48 pm

Have a new Avon Cobra Stryke on front and just ordered a new rear to match,run Avon Cobras on my Harley and they are a great tyre for this bike used by lot of UK riders
Back to top Go down
moonshiner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
moonshiner

Registration date : 2011-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Tires again SilverWing   Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2016 10:58 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Some SilverWing tire experience passed on:
#1 IRC front works best---I have had Bridgestone, Michelin and IRC.  Michelin Power Pure SC---really screwed up low speed handling/feel for me--took off replaced with Honda recommended IRC.
#2  Michelin Power Pure Rear works best as it wears round not square and will go 10,000 miles plus.  This tire, rear also works well with IRC on front. IRC rear wears square...and won't go 10,000 miles.  Current Bridgestone Hoop at 5,000 miles has squared, does have effect on cornering feel....going to change on July before trip.In past I have had Bridgestone rear scooter tire failures on both Helix and Reflex OEM,so no fan of the brand---current got on, after big nail in other tire and only Bridgestone was available right now at Honda dealer.

I do own tire work, find I get near best price at local Honda dealer.  Recent ordered IRC matched pair under Honda parts number---$150 for the pair---3 day delivery.

Knowing that matched IRC is what Honda has tested and recommeds,  Michelin Power Pure rear is fine with me,too---experience with at least 2 on SilverWings, one on Burgman 400.

how dose the IRC's compare to the metzeler's ?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Tires again SilverWing   Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 7:09 am

Little experience with Metzeler over past 50 years on motorcycles, lived/rode over 20 years in Germany-I remember it took a lot of weight to balance Metzeler- no experience with them on scooter----but have had Pirelli Diablo on Burgman 400---some handling minus in wet. Pirelli/Metzeler same company.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Tires again SilverWing   Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 8:59 am

I am on my 3rd or 4th set of Metzler tires. The rear will last a little less than 8,000 miles, but the grip and ride is excellent under all sorts of conditions. The original Hoops became cupped and didn't track nearly as well as the Metzlers.
Back to top Go down
moonshiner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
moonshiner

Registration date : 2011-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Tires again SilverWing   Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2016 11:32 pm

over the years i have tried about all the tires on the market except metzeler , i did not like the diablo's on bike or scooter , i like calling them "flat masters ",  i was particularly fond of the IRC durotours on bikes  but they don't make them for scooters , the tire i have used the most is Dunlop , they wear quick , they are hard to get off and even harder to get on , but they tend to stay on even when low or flat at least long enough to get stopped or get it pumped back up , i have run over stuff in the road that would of flatted  others , they are tough and have the most plies of any scooter tire , 3 plies in the sidewall and 4 plies in the tread , i am not saying they are the best , cause they lack a lot to be desired , i am just saying that my experience with them is that they are tough .
Back to top Go down
Bcook01
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2015-11-05

PostSubject: Confused over tires   Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 12:38 pm

I am thoroughly confused.

Honda and other manufactures state the tires recommended for a specific product. I know for a fact they do extensive testing not only to provide a good product but to limit their liability. They spend hundreds of hours testing the product in all weather, then there are the "experts" that can recommend a different product to others without the extensive testing afforded by the manufacturer.

I have never failed to be satisfied with a manufacturer's recommendation on anything they recommend or specify for their product. It may not be ideal for a specific application, however, i drive a motorcycle and other vehicles within their intended application.

Can you go to a manufacturer of a tire and have them provide you with their certification, or show they has been endorsed by the manufacturer on a specific product or model? I don't think you will obtain any response other it meets a general standard (minimim) set by the governing Federal authority of the country you are in.

For the sake of a few miles or a few $$ why would you possibly risk your life "experimenting" with an unknown and unproven tire!

Too me it defies all logic and common sense. It could be another loophole for insurance companies to possibly disqualify a claim based on "improper tires" remains a possibility.

Honda does not make money when they specify a specific tire to be used on the Silverwing!

New tires are a relatively small investment for peace of mind even before they hit the wear marks.

Bob
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: Tires again SilverWing   Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 2:45 pm

A manufacturer choses a tire based on two things, suitability for the application such as safety and durability, and, cost.

The tires that come on any vehicle, no mater how many wheels, are not exclusive to that vehicle and that vehicle is not exclusive to that brand of tire.

Tires are always a compromise between traction, durability and cost.
Each rider has their own priorities and requirements, sometimes it's ultimate cost per mile, sometimes it's ultimate traction at the extreme edge of operational limits and for others it's a combination of the above.

OEM tires are usually in the third category, but they are not necessarily the best or only choice.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Tires again SilverWing   Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 4:09 pm

My thoughts on MC tires are as follows. Honda has not made any design changes to the Silverwing yet MC tire manufacturers are constantly testing and making improvements and introducing new tires. The new tires may be an improvement to the OEM recommended tires years ago. We humans are always experimenting with new things. It is in our genes. My 2¢.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Tires again SilverWing   Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 4:23 pm

Based on ownership of 2 new Silverwings----2009 Bridgestone Hoop recommend tire on US models,2013 IRC.
I find scooter goes better with IRC, feels better.
Since I ride SilverWing as scooter and not as sub for real motorcycle--I find OEM IRC work fine as set, further IRC front works ok with Michelin Power Pure SC rear thru out its life. and Hoop rear (until it squares off at about 5,000 miles). My tire experieince---61 years of riding, over 1.5 million miles and probably up to 450 tires used up.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Tires again SilverWing   Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2016 11:21 pm

Does any MC tire manufacturer make radial tires for the Swing? It would have to be for the front and back wheels.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Tires again SilverWing   Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2016 7:12 am

Why? Bike was designed for bias ply tires.
Back to top Go down
Bcook01
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2015-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Tires again SilverWing   Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2016 8:23 am

Perhaps i should have been more specific as I was more or less refering to "darkside" and experimenting with tires not specifically designed for mc.    

Yes it has been a long time since the sw was introduced but how much has tire technology changed?  I don't see manufacturers willing to invest in a lot of research based on such a small market segment (scooters).

John, are you saying the placard on the 2013 models says to use IRC?

I dont think cost is a high priority with any manufacturer over safety, performance, and market availability.  Tires can change the handling characteristics of a bike as we all know.

If something better comes along the manufacturer always superceeds the p/n with a new one or puts out a change notice if a part is no longer available. This would apply to tires as well as Honda.

Bob
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Tires again SilverWing   Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 11, 2016 10:28 am

Sticker on my leftover 2013 says IRC.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Tires again SilverWing   Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 14, 2016 12:21 am

john grinsel wrote:
Why? Bike was designed for bias ply tires.

Well, some sizes of the Michelin Power Pure SC tires come in radials. Just in the sizes for the Swing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tires again SilverWing   Tires again SilverWing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tires again SilverWing
Page 1 of 1