Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK... I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK... I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK... I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK... I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK... I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK... I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK... Empty
PostSubject: From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK...   From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK... I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 7:35 pm

... I send greetings.

My real name is Paul and yesterday I added a 2006 FJS600 A6 to my collection of wheels. I have a Honda ST1100 Pan European and also Kawasaki KLV 1000.

Typical of a SWing owner, I've got knee problems and while the KLV 1000 is a tall adventure style bike that is easy going on my knee, the ST1100 is painful after an hour in traffic. The Silver Wing is comfy, but I'm 6'3" and 250lbs.  The "butt rest" will have to be removed and the seat raised an inch or so with some padding where the butt rest brackets were.

Now the REAL agony starts - After spending many hours and much money doing my own extensive rebuild on my beloved ST1100, it has to be sold.  Sad  Sad  Sad  If anyone knows anyone who has a friend of friend whose cousin of theirs who might be interested, my ST1100 rebuild can be seen in part (and my other bikes) on my YouTube channel. Just enter my username on this forum in the YouTube search box and you'll get it.

Anyway, I've been buzzing around on the swing today and feel happy with my choice over the burgervan 650 and 400. Overly complex and a bit slow are the two main problems there. So here's a pic I took tonight... or not, maybe ? I'll try again...
From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK... Dsc01010

Last edited by Flyingpanman on Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2015-09-28

PostSubject: Re: From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK...   From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK... I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 03, 2016 8:49 pm

Flyingpanman...Welcome to the forum from Northeastern Illinois not too many miles from Chicago, USA. Sounds like you may find your SWing a bit easier on your knees than your other bikes. You may want to check out the Modifications and Accessories section as there is a conversion of the butt rest to a back rest that a lot of SWing owners make to gain another 1 1/2-inches of seat. Lots of great riders on this site and a wealth of information. Again...Welcome!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK...   From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK... I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 2:55 am

Flyingpanman wrote:
Typical of a SWing owner, I've got knee problems.

Hello mate, at the risk of repeating myself, aren't you're more typical of the biker that wouldn't have been seen dead on any maxi scooter before you had knackered knees. That seems to be the trend these days.

I came to maxi scooters 20 years ago after getting bored with motorcycles and I haven't got knee problems, and neither have the majority of the maxi riders I've met over the years. They're either old bikers like myself who appreciate the sheer practicality of a maxi scooter, or riders who opted for an Auto Only Licence as a novice rider and have moved up to a Silver Wing after a few years restricted to smaller capacity scooters.

Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

PostSubject: Re: From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK...   From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK... I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 3:52 am

Meldrew wrote:

... aren't you're more typical of the biker that wouldn't have been seen dead on any maxi scooter before you had knackered knees. That seems to be the trend these days.

I wouldn't say that - I just went for bikes because scooters simply didn't have enough power for my liking. I also preferred the stability of those bigger wheels. If someone had given me a scooter I'd have rode it, but only round town.

Meldrew wrote:

I came to maxi scooters 20 years ago after getting bored with motorcycles and I haven't got knee problems, and neither have the majority of the maxi riders I've met over the years. They're either old bikers like myself who appreciate the sheer practicality of a maxi scooter, or riders who opted for an Auto Only Licence as a novice rider and have moved up to a Silver Wing after a few years restricted to smaller capacity scooters.

I can't say I've ever been bored with motorcycles. Maybe some of the riders  Sleep? My knee problem is the legacy of a motorcycle accident 45 years ago.

My experience is that most of the olde fartes I know have migrated due to joint problems. I think that is what is trending in the UK. I know of four in my home area off the top of my head. I'm also the fifth member of another forum I frequent to convert, and I hold a bus pass which I'm not afraid to use! So, my personal image has nothing to do with it.

But perhaps you move in younger circles - the "auto only" licence is a comparatively recent thing and didn't exist in 1966 when I passed my test. Neither did "maxi-scooters". Things have certainly changed and I can't wait to get a test ride on the first 1,000cc step-through "Adventure Scooter".
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK...   From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK... I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 4:21 am

Welcome Flyinganman, I regulary  visit Knott End and Glasson Dock, i am going to Knott End later today. For the butt rest conversion to a back rest look in archives, well worth doing.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

PostSubject: Re: From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK...   From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK... I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 4:35 am

Old Limey wrote:
Welcome Flyinganman, I regulary  visit Knott End and Glasson Dock, i am going to Knott End later today. For the butt rest conversion to a back rest look in archives, well worth doing.

Hi Old Limey. I'm just waiting for a friend to decide what he's doing today. Is there anything happening at Knott End?

Give me an idea what time you'll be there and I might just get there myself.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK...   From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK... I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 5:08 am

Old Limey wrote:

Did you ever get to the Port of Lancaster Smokehouse shop at Glasson Dock I mentioned ages ago and buy some kippers?

They had a stand at the BBC Good Food Show in Harragate a couple of months ago.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK...   From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK... I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 8:49 am

It seems it's my gardening day today, she, who must be obeyed, has decreed. Iam out tomorrow though as my son in law  likes to ride with me. We will do my Yorkshire run about 140mls. Taking in Mythmloyd, Haworth, Keigthly Skipton and Settle. Then over the tops to Lancaster and Glasson Dock  arriving about 2-2.40pm. Them we come home via Garstang and Ribchester  Blackburn and Rawtenstall. No Meldrew never did find the Kipper place, then again never really looked. I normally ride alone, but, being family he is okay.He is also called Paul.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

PostSubject: Re: From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK...   From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK... I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 04, 2016 8:37 pm

Didn't get to Knott End or Glasson Dock yesterday. I've seen and heard about the smokehouse and their kippers. I even know where it is but haven't bought any yet.

Today I'm going to a biker's breakfast at Torver near Coniston, then we'll make it up from there as we go along. Probably head to the west coast.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK...   From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK... I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2016 2:53 am

That'll be the bikers breakfast organised by the Christian Motorcyclists Association, Lakes and Lancs Section at St Luke's Anglican Church in Torver.

I used to have the occasional ride round the Coniston area, I could choose to go down the A595 to Silecroft then through the Witcham Valley to Broughton-in-Furness and on to Coniston. Or down the A596 towards Waberthwaite and go over Corney Fell towards B-i-F and have to contend with dim Herdwick sheep wandering about on the roads.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

PostSubject: Re: From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK...   From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK... I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2016 3:05 am

Yes, Meldrew I think you're right. I'm just going along for the ride with some friends and never been before.

I'll lookout for those roads you mentioned too, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK...   From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

From the Seaside Town of Morecambe in the UK...
Page 1 of 1