Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
Thank you from Clarksville, TN I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Today at 10:58 pm

» LF extended back rest
Thank you from Clarksville, TN I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:29 pm

» noise under load
Thank you from Clarksville, TN I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Thank you from Clarksville, TN I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Thank you from Clarksville, TN I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Thank you from Clarksville, TN I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Thank you from Clarksville, TN I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Thank you from Clarksville, TN I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Thank you from Clarksville, TN I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Thank you from Clarksville, TN I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Thank you from Clarksville, TN

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Thank you from Clarksville, TN Empty
PostSubject: Thank you from Clarksville, TN   Thank you from Clarksville, TN I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 5:37 pm

I purchased a new 2008 Silver Wing last spring, and now have 6,000 miles on it. Except for the "Scooter Trash" sticker on the rear, no mods yet, although I have a few I want to do once I have some spare cash. I ride in any weather, nearly year round here.

I signed up specifically to say "thank you." Recently I have been noticing a "chirp-chirp" noise as I would accelerate from a stop. As I plan to do all my own maintenance (or at least what I can), I decided to put it in the garage and open things up. Your forum not only gave me good information on how to open up the tranny case, but also told me about the belt slap. I confirmed this as the sound I have been hearing, so I can rest easy now.

My only question is will this be okay until the 16,000 mile service, or should I go ahead and replace the belt soon?

Thank you from Clarksville, TN 189431 Thank you from Clarksville, TN 419816 Thank you from Clarksville, TN 189431
Jerry
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Thank you from Clarksville, TN   Thank you from Clarksville, TN I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 6:08 pm

Being new to the Silverwing I will simply say Hi from a not so sunny UK.

I will leave the mechanical advice to others ultimately more qualified than I. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Thank you from Clarksville, TN   Thank you from Clarksville, TN I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 6:37 pm

Jerry,

Welcome to the forum. Are you one of the Screaming Eagles?

There is no need to replace the belt yet. The little squealing noise is quite distracting, but not the sound of impending belt failure. The best preventive method I used was an occasional rapid take-off.

The OEM belt is quite rugged and should make it to 16,000 with no difficulty. Many have gone longer than 16,000 miles and I myself went about 17,550 on the OEM belt before replacing the belt. I rode in quite a few low speed PGR missions in the heat and that environment seemed to breed the belt squeal. Belt was still within the service limits when I replaced it.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com

PostSubject: Re: Thank you from Clarksville, TN   Thank you from Clarksville, TN I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 04, 2009 8:35 pm

At one time I was honored to be a part of the Screaming Eagles. I am now retired after 20 years, came back to Clarksville to start a business. Been running a computer business for over 13 years now. I am actually pursuing a GS position that may allow me to get back into some of that more adventurous deployment time. Being an Army brat to begin with, then 20 years going all over, I have discovered that I am ill-suited to sitting on my duff!

The belt recommendation is as I expected, just more comforting to hear it from experience!

Jerry
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3798
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Thank you from Clarksville, TN   Thank you from Clarksville, TN I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 10:49 am

And just a welcome from me, too, in a rather (today) wet Belgium! Thank you from Clarksville, TN Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
Cornishman
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Cornishman

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2009-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Thank you from Clarksville, TN   Thank you from Clarksville, TN I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 12:50 pm

Hi from another Brit. Thank you from Clarksville, TN 993612
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Thank you from Clarksville, TN   Thank you from Clarksville, TN I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 4:51 pm

Welcome. You have a beautiful state to ride in. My Silverwing that I got in March, new, just hit 8k today. Thank you from Clarksville, TN Icon_wink I just scheduled my 8k mile tune up with the dealership. I don't want to do any maintenance just want to get on and ride...shame on me... Thank you from Clarksville, TN Sleep
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Thank you from Clarksville, TN   Thank you from Clarksville, TN I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 12:27 am

Jerry,

The belt should be good for 16,000 miles. I did change mine at about 13,000 miles just to try out the Mitshibishi belt at www.scootertrap.com . But I didn't need to change it , I just wanted to. Welcome to the site and hope it helps you out with maintenance and just to chat with others. The SWing is a great bike and will take you in comfort anywhere. Welcome.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Thank you from Clarksville, TN   Thank you from Clarksville, TN I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 8:05 am

Jerry,

Good luck on the job front. I'm a 20 year Army vet although I spent most of my time in Germany with the heavy tank divisions. I'm an "Iron Soldier" having served my "hostile time" with the fine folks of Old Ironsides - 1st Armored Division.

You're not far from Sturgis, KY which hosts a rally each year - although it seems to cater (as does Sturgis, SD) to the seamier side of riding.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thank you from Clarksville, TN   Thank you from Clarksville, TN I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thank you from Clarksville, TN
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Introductions-
Jump to: