Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Second Tail Light

Go down 
+5
Winger61
dalehazelton
Gustafa
Old Limey
Kenjj50
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 220
Registration date : 2015-09-28

Second Tail Light Empty
PostSubject: Second Tail Light   Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 07, 2016 3:33 pm

A while back I bought a Perfect Connector made up by Cosmic_Jumper for a project I wanted to do this winter.  Today, I finished the project.  I have added a 48 diode brake light (including a 19 diode running light) to the underside of my Swing spoiler.

I really like my '02 Swing.  I bought it with the HID low beam headlight conversion.  I was not satisfied with the tail/brake lights.  They are low and angle downward.  I thought I could modify this and improve my visibility from the rear.

After a lot of Google work, I found a LED light from etrailer.com that satisfied all my requirements.  The Optronics STL70RB light was $25.00 and the mounting bracket, grommet and pigtail cost another $5.00.  I spent about $10 on miscellaneous hardware.  Most of which I still have!

I mounted it to the underside of the spoiler on my Swing.  The two rear bolts that would be used to mount the anchoring frame for my Givi topcase were positioned really close to where I needed them to mount the bracket for the tail light.  I had to elongate the predrilled holes in the bracket about 1/4-inch and use 2-inch bolts to penetrate the spoiler.  I added lock nuts, and the mounting position was perfect.

I drilled a 1/2 inch hole through the rear body cover into the underseat storage and another through the removable panel to in the seat storage to feed the wires to the Perfect Connector.  I had removed the left side body cover to install the Perfect Connector.  It wasn't too difficult to remove left rear body cover and removing the spoiler is really easy.   The spoiler had to be removed to mount the bracket.

I connected the wiring with 18/22 butt end shrink wrap connectors and covered all the wiring with 3/8-inch black plastic flex tubing.  The flex tubing fit snuggly into the 1/2-hole in the rear panel and I sealed the penetration with clear latex caulk.  The mounting bracket was black powder coat, the grommet was black and my scooter is black, so it looks pretty professional.

I have some photos of the running light and brake light, but I can't get the "Host an Image" function to let me insert them in the narrative. I can send you the photos if you want to email me.

albino
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Second Tail Light Empty
PostSubject: Second Tail Light   Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2016 10:11 am

This should be a photo of the tail/brake light in running light mode...

Second Tail Light Img_0315

Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Second Tail Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Second Tail Light   Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2016 10:13 am

This should be a photo of the tail/brake light in braking mode...

Second Tail Light Img_0316
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

Second Tail Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Second Tail Light   Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2016 12:10 pm

I have the Honda topbox,it has a large area in the centre that is red plastic. I wired a "tigers eye"  light into the upper sectiion from the brake lightThis is more or less on a motorists eyeline,so I feel a bit safer.
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2015-10-10

Second Tail Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Second Tail Light   Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2016 12:28 pm

It is, we see it twice.

Care to share a link to what you've got there? thats pretty nice!
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Second Tail Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Second Tail Light   Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2016 12:33 pm

I detailed the installation and links related to the hardware under "Second Tail Light". If you do a Search for that phrase it will bring up the narrative. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Gustafa
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Gustafa

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2015-10-10

Second Tail Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Second Tail Light   Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2016 12:35 pm

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
dalehazelton
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dalehazelton

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2015-08-18

Second Tail Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Second Tail Light   Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2016 2:05 pm

Can we see what the housing looks like from the side?
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

Second Tail Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Second Tail Light   Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2016 3:05 pm

I put a set of Admore led strip lights behind the reflectors in my Honda top box, wired in for running and stop lights, using one of DerekB's connector. Option was there for turn signals also, but red turn signals are illegal in the UK, so didn't use that wire. As Old Limey says, the lights are in the drivers eyeline, just makes you feel a bit safer.

Pics are in my album
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Second Tail Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Second Tail Light   Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2016 7:25 pm

This is a photo of the Second Tail Light from the left side.

Second Tail Light Img_0317

Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Second Tail Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Second Tail Light   Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2016 7:27 pm

This is a photo of the Second Tail Light from the left side and below the spoiler showing the mounting hardware.

Second Tail Light Img_0318
Back to top Go down
Kenjj50
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Second Tail Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Second Tail Light   Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 08, 2016 7:44 pm

Old Limey wrote:
I have the Honda topbox,it has a large area in the centre that is red plastic. I wired a "tigers eye"  light into the upper sectiion from the brake lightThis is more or less on a motorists eyeline,so I feel a bit safer.

I have a Givi top case that looks like it could be modified for a second tail/brake light. I don't plan to ride with it unless I'm on a multi day trip. I have one planned for June. I thought that the second tail light mod would work with or without the Givi case. I agree that having the elevated tail light will improve safety.
Back to top Go down
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2015-09-04

Second Tail Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Second Tail Light   Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 14, 2016 7:52 pm

As a winter project I also bought a perfect connector II from Cosmic_Jumper and added a Admore LED light bar.  Easy to wire in with the connector and just mounted it under my Givi plate and made a small hole to run the wire under the plastic spoiler cap.  I also updated the taillight/brakelight bulbs with some Phillips LED bulbs so I hopefully won't have to worry about changing them anytime soon.  The LED lights don't appear any brighter but the lightbar at a higher location seems to make the brake light and turn signals more visible. Between the Admore warning flash when brakes are first applied and the Vololight license plate deceleration light, lots of flashing going on when stopping to catch the attention of following cars. Need to have someone follow me and let me know how it all is working and looks when coming to a stop.

Second Tail Light Admore10

Second Tail Light Admore11
Back to top Go down
http://www.MarkNovackPhotography.com
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

Second Tail Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Second Tail Light   Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 5:57 am

That's a good one, bicyclenut ! One of my main concerns has always been that someone will rear end me. ( It has happened twice to me whilst driving a car and once whilst driving a 50 tonne mobile crane. It's one of the few risks that are hard to control and this might just make me a bit more visible. It is also not expensive and within my mechanical capabilities. Ordered the parts already, thanks.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Second Tail Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Second Tail Light   Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 8:10 am

If you look in my Gallery you can see how I fitted an Admore Light Bar to my Silverwing.

https://www.silverwing600.com/gallery/Personal-album-of-MikeO/Personal-album-of-MikeO-cat_u308.htm
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

Second Tail Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Second Tail Light   Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 3:40 pm

MikeO, thanks for the link to the photos for your light bar. That is my preferred mounting point too.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Second Tail Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Second Tail Light   Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 4:42 pm

Pleasure!

I mounted the bar under the spoiler so it would still be on the bike if I rode without the top box.

I have the Silverwing to Admore colour 'code' if anyone needs it.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Second Tail Light Empty
PostSubject: Second tail light   Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 8:55 pm

Admore make an LED kit to fit into the Honda top box, I imagine it would also fit into the Givi box.
Back to top Go down
bicyclenut
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
bicyclenut

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2015-09-04

Second Tail Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Second Tail Light   Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2016 11:43 pm

MikeO,

I mounted mine same as you did, think I saw your photos previously and that helped.  I previously was looking at mounting to the plastic under the spoiler but no drilling needed to use the Givi plate, just remove the top and fit with some bolts.  That also brought it up a bit higher and further back. Drilled a small hole to hide the cable as the mounting fasteners would not adhere in the cold and that ended up hiding the cable. Can still be used with the Givi box off as I leave the mounting plate on all the time. I have solid LED's in my Givi box that I run at night off a Lithium Ion battery pack. Don't have a photo of the all the lights working together yet.

Second Tail Light Img_1310
Back to top Go down
http://www.MarkNovackPhotography.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Second Tail Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Second Tail Light   Second Tail Light I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2016 4:05 am

Admore make specific kits for several of the Givi boxes:

http://www.admorelighting.com/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Second Tail Light Empty
PostSubject: Re: Second Tail Light   Second Tail Light I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Second Tail Light
Page 1 of 1