Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Givi AF214 damaged

Go down 
+8
janitorj1
exavid
gremlin
the_mad_rshn
tinman
hotwings
vmaximus
Cosmic_Jumper
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Givi AF214 damaged  Empty
PostSubject: Givi AF214 damaged    Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2015 8:13 pm

Does anyone have the bottom half of a Givi Air Flow windscreen for sale? I broke the ear off my Givi, and had just replaced the upper half with a new piece after the original top piece became one with the wind & passing traffic.

If I'm unable to locate a gently used bottom half I'll need to replace the entire AF214 Air Flow windscreen. If that's the case then I'll be selling this (almost new) top half. PM me if interested.

Tim
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Givi AF 214 damaged   Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2015 4:18 am

Hi, like you I damaged the bottom half of my air flow screen. I was unable to get a second hand bottom half and Givi only sell the top half and not the bottom, so I will eventually replace it with a Kappa but I hope you have luck finding one.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 damaged    Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 12, 2015 5:57 am

Keep your top half so your ready when it flies off again. Especially since its "new".
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 damaged    Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 14, 2015 9:05 am

The KAPPA AF 214 Site, seams to sell the Ears locking assembly as a replacement kit.They look identical to the Givi set up.
Back to top Go down
the_mad_rshn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
the_mad_rshn

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2016-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 damaged    Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2016 11:51 am

Hey guys,

Any progress here? I am having the same issue after my scoot was blown off the stand by wind and fell on my wife's car. Luckly this was the only damage. My wife's car not so lucky.

Thank you.
Cheers,
Mad
Back to top Go down
gremlin
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
gremlin

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2015-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 damaged    Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2016 4:09 pm

the_mad_rshn wrote:
Hey guys,

Any progress here? I am having the same issue after my scoot was blown off the stand by wind and fell on my wife's car.  
Thank you.
Cheers,
Mad

Hi, can you remember whether you had it on the center stand or the side stand at that time? We have been discussing this issue before.

regards
Back to top Go down
the_mad_rshn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
the_mad_rshn

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 damaged    Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2016 4:14 pm

gremlin wrote:
the_mad_rshn wrote:
Hey guys,

Any progress here? I am having the same issue after my scoot was blown off the stand by wind and fell on my wife's car.  
Thank you.
Cheers,
Mad

Hi, can you remember whether you had it on the center stand or the side stand at that time?  We have been discussing this issue before.

regards

The center-stand. I also had my top box on and the rain cover, which i think played the role of a sale, because the windshield and the top box sit so high up. Now i take the box off before covering the Singer.

Cheers,
Mad
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 damaged    Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2016 4:16 pm

the_mad_rshn wrote:
Hey guys,Any progress here? I am having the same issue after my scoot was blown off the stand by wind and fell on my wife's car.  Luckly this was the only damage. My wife's car not so lucky. Mad

Ooo, tough luck Crying or Very sad ...and you just got that windscreen too.
Back to top Go down
the_mad_rshn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
the_mad_rshn

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 damaged    Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2016 11:57 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

Ooo, tough luck Crying or Very sad ...and you just got that windscreen too.

Yes, sir. And my wife's car is only 4 months old too No

Cheers,
Mad
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 damaged    Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 12:34 am

There are cements that will do a good job of reattaching the broken part. I presume that you're referring to the little pieces that are on the lower outside edge? I ordered an Airflow for a friend's SW from Partszilla and it came with one ear broken off. I notified them and the sent me a new windshield along with a shipping label to send in the new one. The first thing is to determine whether the screen is polycarbonate or acrylic.
On the adjustable Givi the bottom is Acrylic (Plexiglas) and the top piece is polycarbonate (Lexan).

Polycarbonate glue:
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?partnumber=1363589&utm_source=google&utm_medium=nonpaid&utm_campaign=frooglePN&utm_term=LOCTITE&crossref=LOCTITE&gclid=CPuW1MGa_ssCFYJZhgod7gQIHQ

Acrylic glue:
https://www.zoro.com/loctite-acrylic-adhesive-bottle-50ml-brown-32530/i/G1774911/?gdffi=047ada998cf641fa93e55ae8579df863&gdfms=779BEFA0978C4F55B6C092763595A53E&gclid=CKKEppOb_ssCFcUdgQodbdMENg&gclsrc=aw.ds
Back to top Go down
the_mad_rshn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
the_mad_rshn

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 damaged    Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 11:39 am

exavid wrote:
There are cements that will do a good job of reattaching the broken part. I presume that you're referring to the little pieces that are on the lower outside edge? I ordered an Airflow for a friend's SW from Partszilla and it came with one ear broken off. I notified them and the sent me a new windshield along with a shipping label to send in the new one.  The first thing is to determine whether the screen is polycarbonate or acrylic.
On the adjustable Givi the bottom is Acrylic (Plexiglas) and the top piece is polycarbonate (Lexan).

Polycarbonate glue:
http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?partnumber=1363589&utm_source=google&utm_medium=nonpaid&utm_campaign=frooglePN&utm_term=LOCTITE&crossref=LOCTITE&gclid=CPuW1MGa_ssCFYJZhgod7gQIHQ

Acrylic glue:
https://www.zoro.com/loctite-acrylic-adhesive-bottle-50ml-brown-32530/i/G1774911/?gdffi=047ada998cf641fa93e55ae8579df863&gdfms=779BEFA0978C4F55B6C092763595A53E&gclid=CKKEppOb_ssCFcUdgQodbdMENg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Thank you, sir.

Do you think the glue will be strong enough to hold all of the pressure caused by air on that part of the shield?

Cheers,
Mad
Back to top Go down
janitorj1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2014-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 damaged    Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 4:35 pm

I just installed a Givi 214 AF to my 05. Bolted right up. So what's the deal with those metal brackets, screws, and drilling instructions on the instruction sheet? As I said, I just bolted it up. And what's this I'm seeing about the top half flying off? That's scary. BTW, this months pic is just like mine, yellow with grey bottom panels, and a few other things I don't have, but it's pretty close. Next project is the revzilla.com install of a complete light kit for the Givi V46 Topbox. Any tips there? Looks "complicated". Jon
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 damaged    Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 10:11 pm

janitorj1 wrote:
I just installed a Givi 214 AF to my 05.  Bolted right up.  So what's the deal with those metal brackets, screws, and drilling instructions on the instruction sheet?  As I said, I just bolted it up.  And what's this I'm seeing about the top half flying off?  That's scary.  BTW, this months pic is just like mine, yellow with grey bottom panels, and a few other things I don't have, but it's pretty close.  Next project is the revzilla.com install of a complete light kit for the Givi V46 Topbox.  Any tips there?  Looks "complicated".  Jon

The metal brackets are for added strength. The base shield may flex at faster speeds. It requires drilling an extra center hole. There is a pre-threaded hole under the plastic. Using the bracket for a pattern, drill through the plastic, but do not go any further. The top half can fly off if the clamps are not adjusted correctly. As for lights on your top box, try looking at AdMore lighting.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 damaged    Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 11:37 pm

The brackets give the only direct to the bike frame mounting. The other bolts are mounted through rubber based nuts. The OEM windshield was quite small and light and even then it flexed in the wind and at speed. The GIVI brackets add one solid point on each side that will reduce the movement of the windshield. There's a lot more pressure on the GIVI windshields, both adjustable and non due to their size and weight. The non-adjustable screen has a lot more area exposed to the slip stream than the OEM. The adjustable has much more weight higher up than the OEM which gives the wind more leverage.
I've installed three of these windshields now, two non-adjustable and one adjustable. The brackets are easy to install and greatly reinforce the windshield. GIVI isn't offering these things just to make a few more bucks.
Back to top Go down
janitorj1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 damaged    Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2016 7:14 am

K, I'll take another crack at the wind screen (I think I kept the brackets). And yes I did get an AdMore kit, but it came from revzilla. That's todays project. I assume I have to take the seat and tail apart to get the wires into the tail lamp area. If anybody out there has any do's and don'ts please let me know before I get myself into too much trouble. Thanks all.
Back to top Go down
janitorj1
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 damaged    Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2016 8:35 am

The brackets give the only direct to the bike frame mounting.

So is there a threaded hole in the frame behind there?
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 damaged    Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2016 8:47 am

The above is exactly why I bought a Cee Bailey screen in the proper size! I have an adjustable on the Goldwing and once it is set properly I NEVER adjust it so for me just not worth the extra expense.
Good luck!
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2015-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 damaged    Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2016 10:14 am

I adjust mine almost daily. Raise it for the cooler morning ride to work. Lower it on the way home to catch some of that warm breeze. That's why no one solution is good for everyone and we shouldn't fault anyone for the mod choices they make.
Back to top Go down
the_mad_rshn
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
the_mad_rshn

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 damaged    Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2016 10:26 am

hankster wrote:
...That's why no one solution is good for everyone and we shouldn't fault anyone for the mod choices they make.

It's a very good point,  sir!

Cheers,
Mad
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 damaged    Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2016 4:10 pm

I know when I had my SWing, and the AF, I would keep it up in the highest position on the interstate and doing the colder rides. When it was warm or hot I would adjust it down, sometimes all the way. I wrote to Givi to ask them if they are going to make one for the CTX700 and they said that they are not. It doesn't seem they are making it for too many bikes at all. But it was the best screen I had on my SWing and wish they would make if for more. When Givi sent me the AF for my review here I was really amazed at how smooth the wind was even at it's lowest position. It let a lot of air in to hit my body but it wasn't a turbulent airflow, but more gentle. I'm surprised someone hasn't come out with something similar for more bikes. This is the one thing my CTX lacks, and that is the AF screen, and of course the storage.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 damaged    Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2016 4:44 pm

janitorj1 wrote:
The brackets give the only direct to the bike frame mounting.

So is there a threaded hole in the frame behind there?

Yes indeed, there's a threaded hole back there. No one knows why Honda put it there but it did come in useful. Drill slowly with light pressure through the plastic with a small bit, that way if you get off center a bit, which doesn't usually happen, you can adjust when you drill full diameter. Sounds tricky but it really isn't.

Also previous question about glue strength. If you use the right glue on those plastics the joint will be as strong as the original material it's more of a chemical weld than a surface adhesion. Don't slop any of it on the windscreen because it will permanently mar the surface. I normally mask off any area near a joint when I glue plastics.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 damaged    Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2016 4:55 pm

As for the original post, when one of my lower section (ears) cracked, I cut the other ear off and sanded both sides to match. Could not afford to replace the Airflow. Tempture does not go below 60 degrees here, but it does rain a lot and my hands get wet. On another post, I am looking for water proof gloves. Cutting off the other ear to match may not work if you drive in cold weather.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Givi AF214 damaged    Givi AF214 damaged  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Givi AF214 damaged
Page 1 of 1