Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Going visible I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Going visible I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Going visible I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Going visible I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Going visible I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Going visible I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Going visible I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Going visible I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Going visible I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Going visible I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Going visible

Go down 
+5
MikeO
vader1701
Stuart Walker
hotwings
roders
9 posters
AuthorMessage
roders
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2015-05-22

Going visible Empty
PostSubject: Going visible   Going visible I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2015 9:48 pm

I am thinking of putting some kind of high viz graphics or paint on my Swing to make it more visible. Have any of you done this?
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Going visible Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going visible   Going visible I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2015 10:08 pm

You could use self adhesive vinyl. I did my silver underskirt with carbon fiber. All you need is the vinyl in the colour of your choice and a hair dryer and a sharp knife. The results are impressive. It's been applied now for two years on my swing and it still looks good. The nice part is that it can easily be peeled off with no residue if you get tired of the look. I would think the vinyl is available in any imagined colour. I ordered my carbon fiber from eBay. I think there's probably a pic of my project if you search for "carbon fiber" in the search box.
Back to top Go down
Stuart Walker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2013-03-25

Going visible Empty
PostSubject: REFELECTIVE TAPE FOR IMPROVED VISIBILITY>>   Going visible I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2015 4:49 am

Hi there

I have used bright yellow/black diagonal striped reflective tape on both sides and front/rear surfaces for the past 3 years or so, it does make the bike more visible.
Last year I added suplementary low voltage LED lights at front and back, in colours that comply with UK traffic law - so no issues arise in their use.

All this helps to improve visibility, but does not work if the idiot driver is looking the other way !
Hope this helps...?

PS: Motorcycle Helmet has the addition of RED reflctive V shape markers, which are highly visible all round both both by day and night.
Back to top Go down
vader1701
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
vader1701

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2015-01-07

Going visible Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going visible   Going visible I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2015 7:05 am

I like the idea of the reflective on the helmet
Back to top Go down
roders
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Going visible Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going visible   Going visible I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2015 7:50 pm

I have reflective tape on my helmet already, front and back!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Going visible Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going visible   Going visible I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2015 4:28 am

I have a few little reflective dots and stripes on my crash helmet but like to think the lights on the bike are sufficient in the dark.

The helmet itself - a Nolan N-44 - is day-glow orange, visible for miles!
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Going visible 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Going visible Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going visible   Going visible I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2015 4:38 am

MikeO wrote:

The helmet itself - a Nolan N-44 - is day-glow orange, visible for miles!

But invisible across the intersection!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Going visible Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going visible   Going visible I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2015 6:08 am

One has to make an assumption or two, one being that it is highly unlikely that the other driver/rider arriving at the intersection will not have spotted the approaching head-light beam of the motorcycle.

If he spots reflective stickers on the side of a motorcycle only as they appear close-up in the beams of his head-lights, it's too late. If he spots them earlier, the bike will have passed before he's reached the intersection, so they are redundant.

Anyway, I thought motorcycles in the US have to have amber reflectors on the sides, front and back. Reflective stripes and so on serve only to break up an already 'busy' outline during daylight hours. Wink
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Going visible 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Going visible Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going visible   Going visible I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2015 11:13 am

Sorry Mike, I was referring to the drivers who say; "Sorry mate, I never saw you." No amount of lights, paint, or reflective tape will help them. Your choice of helmet is commended.

I am amazed that two year olds strapped in the back seat can see motorcycles blocks away, but the drivers can't. Mad

Be visible and safe out there! motorcycle
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Going visible Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going visible   Going visible I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2015 1:08 pm

Understood, my friend - my misunderstanding. Smile
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Going visible Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going visible   Going visible I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2015 6:19 am

Saw a show on TV called "brain games", one episode explained why some people at an intersection sometimes don't see a motorcycle. Sometimes the brain only locks onto what you think your looking for i.e. cars only, and cannot see that motorcycle. The show gave a good example- it said to find a magician in a picture that would be on the screen for ten seconds. After the ten seconds it asked if you found the magician, an easy yes, but then it asked if you saw the elephant standing on its head, or the lion walking a tightrope, or the juggler juggling chainsaws, etc etc. I'm thinking there's no way that was in the picture. Then they re show the pic and wow it's clearly all there. Seems everyone (most everyone) gets so fixated on what they need to see that they miss the obvious. Remember that at your next intersection!!!!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Going visible Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going visible   Going visible I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2015 6:56 am

I found out yesterday in York city centre that my hi-vis yellow cycle vest is really a Ferengi cloaking device. Because I was totally invisible to the idiot who drove down the exit ramp of a multi-storey car park and shot out straight in front of me without even a cursory glance in my direction.

Afterwards I noticed he'd registered a 10 on my bikes twatometer!    Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Silver Dave K
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2014-06-12

Going visible Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going visible   Going visible I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2015 10:09 am

Doesn't anyone here use a headlight modulator? I've used one for years. Lots easier than wiring in a bunch of extra lights.  Dave swing
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Going visible Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going visible   Going visible I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2015 10:30 am

Not in the UK; they're illegal here.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Going visible Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going visible   Going visible I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 12:15 am

Luckily for us here modulators are legal in the US and Canada. I've had them on my last seven bikes. They catch the eye. A person is far more likely to notice a light that appears to be moving or blinking than a steady state light. I know it's kept me from a nasty situation a couple times at least over the past six years or so. A lot of people don't know about modulated motorcycle headlights so they often think you might be a cop which doesn't hurt your chances of not being hit by them even more.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Going visible Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going visible   Going visible I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 4:34 am

One of the problems associated with flashing headlights here is that as far as the Highway Code, the 'Rules of the Road' we have to know (ha ha), is concerned, flashing lights are to warn of the presence of the vehicle.
However, they are usually used as a 'come on' signal - completely the opposite.

Until road-users follow the Rules, headlight modulators will not become acceptable here. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
roders
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Going visible Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going visible   Going visible I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 9:17 pm

where would one find /buy a headlight modulator? Do they snap on between the light and the stock wiring?
Back to top Go down
roders
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Going visible Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going visible   Going visible I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2015 9:22 pm

The reason this came up is while I was bopping along on US2, I noticed a vehicle passing, caught out approaching in my lane. I drove onto the shoulder allowing him to continue his pass in my lane. My experience as a cop was that a head on collision at highway speeds tends to be fatal to motorcyclists so I just moved on over. This got me to thinking about ways to make myself more visible. I was wearing my blaze orange vest at the time so the idiot should have seen me.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Going visible Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going visible   Going visible I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 19, 2015 1:09 am

A headlight modulator would help with a head on situation. Kisan is one of the best, I've installed them on several bikes including two Silverwings I've had.

http://kisantech.com/mag/index.php/pathblazer.html

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Going visible Empty
PostSubject: Re: Going visible   Going visible I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Going visible
Page 1 of 1