Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Forgive My Rookie Questions
noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Today at 9:47 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to progreso, and could use some advice
noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Today at 9:27 pm

» LF extended back rest
noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Today at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes)

Go down 
+4
model28a
cerve137
NWSSC
joe manista
8 posters
AuthorMessage
joe manista
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-05-05

noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) Empty
PostSubject: noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes)   noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 04, 2015 6:58 pm

the person I bought the scooter from said he had a new drive belt installed at 15,000 miles,since I bought the scooter ,I get a small squeal once in a while on take off,then all is well,is there maybe some thing that he or who ever installed the belt forgot to grease/ // thank y6u joe manista lake havasu city,az
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes)   noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2015 12:52 am

If you check some older posts you will find this topic discussed many times. It is usually caused by one of two things. Some times it is glazed shoes in the clutch drum or a small bearing in the clutch that needs to be lubricated. There is never any lubrication of the belt.
Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
joe manista
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2015-05-05

PostSubject: Re: noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes)   noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2015 5:30 pm

hi howard, regarding that noise sometimes coming from the clutch,you think that the shoes are glased, so that is not a big deal,i can keep ridind an wear off the glase as I ride,thanks joe
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes)    noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2015 6:48 pm

The noise is more annoying than serious. Try applying the left brake lever firmly and running the RPM up to 2,000-3,000 for 3 to 4 seconds should take care of the noise if it is the clutch shoes.
Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
cerve137
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes)   noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2015 3:30 pm

Just pulled both the trans all apart on our 'wings and deglazed shoes, cleaned and re-lubed bearings, cleaned clutch bell and all belt mating surfaces and scrubbed all the parts of the variator. What a difference! Buttery smooth and no noise. Feels better at high speed and backshifts beautifully. I may do this yearly from now on.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes)   noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2015 7:01 pm

applause  cerve137 could you tell us how many miles since the last time the clutches were serviced? Are you running stock rollers or Dr Pulley sliders? Glad they're both running smoothly now.
I like when you can feel the benefits from servicing. Getting new tires, is another one where you can feel the improvement.
Back to top Go down
cerve137
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes)   noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2015 7:27 pm

One has 18k and the other has 21k. Both have Dr pulley rollers. Clutches had never been serviced other than a good blow from the air hose. Feels better at all speeds. The lady even commented twice and she rarely feels difference(s) after mods or service.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes)   noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2015 8:00 pm

cerve137 it sounds like every 15,000 miles would be a good service interval for a maintenance schedule.Wink
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes)   noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 2:59 pm

I'd like to add to this topic because of a recent experience with clutch/belt squeal.

I've been getting a low tone, rubbing, squealing noise from the rear end on take off and slow maneuvering a short time after setting off. I assumed it was something 'warming up'. I've removed the clutch assembly and found that the shoes and the drum are black with.....grease? This is not the first time that this has happened.

It got me thinking that each time I remove the clutch assembly I have a habit it cleaning off the old grease and putting on new grease. I suspect that this is building up over time and grease is being squeezed inside the shaft and making it's way out into the clutch drum area, because of centrifugal force. I'm going to clean it up and put it back as it is without the greasing habit.

Just thought I would add this post in case anybody is trying to detect a noise which might 'not' be coming from the belt.

Another lesson learned  Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2019-10-09

PostSubject: Re: noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes)   noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 6:58 pm

only grease i ever put in the clutch in where the needle rollers are. and the only grease i ever use is white chain grease. it is designed to stick in place and it is white so it is more easy to spot in a cleaned up environment if it migrates close to the clutch (never happened)
once a year take the transmisssion appart , clean with compressed air and wipe with paper towel with some rubbing alcohol on it to get things nice. then check everything, spray a bit grease on the needle rollers and maybe a tuck inside a clutch pad where it is mounted to swing around if needed.

Do not forget to blow out the air filter from the transmission (Piaggio could not get rid of this filter fast enough and prefers the more amount of unfiltered air because of better cooling. (2006)
Back to top Go down
https://hosiwi.blogspot.com/
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes)   noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 10, 2020 9:16 pm

only grease i ever put in the clutch in where the needle rollers are.

Just use a little grease on that bearing. Noise from clutch shoes is a common problem and an issue with many scooters. Lite sanding of shoes and drum with some 320-400 sand paper will help but it always seems to come back.

Grease on clutch shoes drum not good.

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes)   noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2020 11:01 am

Groan from rear clutch seems to be common on rubber band drive scooter----my first 2009 new SilverWing seemed to have it thruout its near 50,000 mile life with me.....fix=run engine up against brakes for 10 seconds or do-----problem would go away for awhile----I never bothered to take anything apart, except for belt changes every 15,000 miles or so-----second new leftover 2013, never had problem with its near 50,000 miles with me. Think my 4 Helix did now and then, but 3 of the 4 new did have rear clutch bearing problems, all fixed under warranty
Back to top Go down
Sepp
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2019-10-09

PostSubject: Re: noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes)   noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2020 12:51 pm

jupp, because they are designed for a soft smooooth start. If you drive stick it is the same as slowly releasing the clutch. Comfortable, but takes its toll on the clutch.
I wrote a blogpost about this when I was experimenting with the different weights and numbers or rollers in the CVT.
With my 4 slider CVT setup this is a problem from the past. It can be still reproduced if I let the bike roll on very slow, especially up hill.
Back to top Go down
https://hosiwi.blogspot.com/
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1564
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes)   noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 11, 2020 1:01 pm

Very useful and interesting comments from everybody. Sepps idea of white chain grease seems logical too. I'll have it all back together on Monday ready for a short tour, despite the weather!

BTW, this is how the axle looks after sliding off the clutch assembly. I don't like the 'black' grease but it seems to be operating OK. The bearings on the assembly seem to be sound but I would like to replace them in a future project....which begs the question....how on earth do you replace the shaft outer bearing which fits inside the metal drive cover? I couldn't see a way of removing it, even with a special tool. Any ideas?

noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) Clutch10
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes)   noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

noise coming from clutch only at take off(sometimes)
Page 1 of 1