Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» May 2024 forum picture
Newby from Indy I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Newby from Indy I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» checking the oil
Newby from Indy I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Newby from Indy I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Newby from Indy I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Newby from Indy I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Newby from Indy I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Newby from Indy I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Newby from Indy I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Newby from Indy I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Newby from Indy

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
barnstormer37
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2015-05-31

Newby from Indy Empty
PostSubject: Newby from Indy   Newby from Indy I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 10:22 am

Greetings to all from Indianapolis, Indiana. First scooter I have ever owned. A 2007 SWING, just brought it home two days ago. Still dealing with getting insurance documentation, heading to the BMV probably tomorrow for title and registration. It was on consignment at a dealer, 18,000+ miles. Has more scratches and dings than I hoped for, but I kinda bought it as a project anyway.  I figure I pretty much got for a decent price at $3,250. Seems to run fine, I'll give it fresh oil and a filter, not sure about doing the scheduled maintenance stuff (valve adjustment?).

Last scooter I rode was around 1953 or 1954, would have been borrowed (I had a Schwinn) and was either a Cushman Eagle or a Salsbury. Both were fast and fun to ride. The Salsbury was very futuristc looking, had both throttle and brake on the floor-board.

Now 78 years young, Charter Life Member of the AMA, can't remember all the motorcycles I've owned, at least fourteen. Last was a Honda Gold Wing, sold it April of 2014. I find that I need to have something in the garage, wife is NOT happy, she says I'm too old. I don't plan on riding a lot.

Looking forward to familiarizing myself to the new scoot and this forum. I've already seen the info on how to remove front and rear wheels (I hate to pay the dealers to do things I can do) as It will soon need tires.

I'll be back to ask some specific questions to pick the brains of you experienced members. Maybe I'll even be able to contribute a tid-bit occasionally.

barnstormer37
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Newby from Indy 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Newby from Indy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newby from Indy   Newby from Indy I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 11:59 am

welcome Welcome to the forum. It sounds as if you have a lot to contribute. I have a feeling you will do a lot more riding than you think. And a lot more smiling. Enjoy the ride! motorcycle

Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Newby from Indy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newby from Indy   Newby from Indy I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 6:20 pm

welcome barnstormer37 welcome to the best Silverwing forum on the net. I think you'll find the Silverwing is as reliable as your Gold Wing was. Did your wife ride with you on the Gold Wing? Maybe you can get her to ride with you on your little wing. Just remember do not try to pull the "clutch" too hard when moving, but do pull kinda hard when starting the engine.   Wink    
If you are looking forward to learning and plan on doing your own maintenance you'll find you can do anything you need or want with the service manual and help from this forum.
I add the paragraph below for most new members because there's a lot of information in the links and may save you some work.

Here are some links(3 below in blue)that will help you learn a lot about your Silverwing. If you can't find what you need in the links below the search on this forum works good, and if you still need help just ask and someone will do what they can to answer your questions.

Maintenance, Tips and Hints
Maintenance "Pictorials"
Accessories-Modifications
Back to top Go down
barnstormer37
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2015-05-31

Newby from Indy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newby from Indy   Newby from Indy I_icon_minitimeSun May 31, 2015 9:25 pm

Hi Yo & model28a---- well, the Guru and Administrator have made it official, I'm in. I have belonged to a Venture forum (I rode a 1984 Yamaha Venture until 2004 and a 2007 Royal Star Venture before the Gold Wing) and a couple Gold Wing forums. I know a lot can be learned from the experiences of others. Thanks for your welcome, I'm sure I will ejoy being a member.
Back to top Go down
rjdoles
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
rjdoles

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2012-09-24

Newby from Indy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newby from Indy   Newby from Indy I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 02, 2015 9:54 am

Barnstormer 37, welcome to the forum. I am sure that you will enjoy your swing. With your current mileage, you will need to do the 15,000 mile service or have it done. It calls for a drive belt replacement, spark plug replacement, and fluid changes.

I bought my 05 swing several years ago with 18,000 on it. It needed tires and the 15k service done on it. I got the service manual fully intending to do the work myself. After finding this site and the great pictorial's of the belt replacement, fluid change etc. I found that I really didn't really need the service manual to do those things.

If you have the tools, the belt replacement takes about an hour and it was pretty easy. The spark plug replacement was a breeze. The fluid change was a little messy but easy enough once you know where to drain the antifreeze and where to refill it. Again, if you follow the tutorials on this site, it makes it pretty easy.

Changing out the tires was like trying to stuff an angry badger in a lunch pail. I spent way too much time wrestling with the tire and rim. I will probably just take the wheels to a bike shop and let them do it the next time.

Ride Safe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Newby from Indy Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newby from Indy   Newby from Indy I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Newby from Indy
Page 1 of 1