Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
no respect for wheels I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
no respect for wheels I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
no respect for wheels I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
no respect for wheels I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
no respect for wheels I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
no respect for wheels I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
no respect for wheels I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
no respect for wheels I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
no respect for wheels I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
no respect for wheels I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

no respect for wheels

Go down 
+2
dspevack
silverwingproud
6 posters
AuthorMessage
silverwingproud
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2009-07-19

no respect for wheels Empty
PostSubject: no respect for wheels   no respect for wheels I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 11:58 pm

I have only been riding again for about 1 year i am convinced that everyone thinks that if you dont have foot pegs and loud pipes you are slow and should be passed
no matter what the risk. this week I have run off the road once and passed in a blind turn only to be setting behind them at the light to go on the interstate.T hey gaied nothing by passing me. does this happen everwhere or does my state just have all the crazy drivers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: no respect for wheels   no respect for wheels I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 1:55 am

the best way to be seen is to fit hdi lights then fit spot lights then loud horn stebel then carry a genarator to power it all or do as i do wear my police hi viz and turn on blue lights on the fron the front no i not a police man but it seems to work for me
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: no respect for wheels   no respect for wheels I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 2:06 am

I think its universally agreed that the more visibility you have, the better off you are. However, no its not just your town. Its Anytown, USA, and probably a good many in other countries too.

Everyone is so interested in getting there faster, they really don't care, about the rules of the road if they can get away with it.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: no respect for wheels   no respect for wheels I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 5:28 am

It happens everywhere.
I ride to the motto
"Ride like everyone is has a duty to knock you off your bike"

That helps limit surprises as to how desperate and stupid some cage drivers are. In"text"icated drivers are the worst.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: no respect for wheels   no respect for wheels I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 5:30 am

I know this is a blanket statement, but I'm fairly comfortable making the following generalization.

We live in a "me centric" world. The first question that must be asked in every situation is, "Who's important here?" And the answer is obvious - "It can't be you, since you're not me!"

Our nature is generally to be selfish. I'm guilty. I don't think people are responding to the scooter (as if they view it as an inferior vehicle) as much as that is just how they (we) always drive. Being inside a cage certainly nakes us feel isolated from the surroundings. We notice the aggressive self absorbed drivers less when we are in our cages.

Making yourself visible helps a lot. So does driving defensively, and watching out for the other guy. Assume they can't see you.

Don't get mad, don't get even - do something unusual, drive defensively, in the cage or on the bike.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com

PostSubject: Re: no respect for wheels   no respect for wheels I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 7:03 am

jdeereanton wrote:
Don't get mad, don't get even - do something unusual, drive defensively, in the cage or on the bike.

Kudos to you, Dale. The instructors in the motorcycle safety class told us that if you're riding two wheels and you get into an accident, it's your fault. No excuses. In other words, expect problems and keep alert to avoid them. Drive defensively all the time.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: no respect for wheels   no respect for wheels I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 7:35 am

I thing it's the same almost anywhere although, in spite of the fact that Belgians are crazy drivers/tail-gaters, most have some respect for PTW riders probably, I think, because many ride mopeds from the age of 14 so they have some idea what it's like to be vulnerable, it's a triple-serious offence to mow down a cyclist (and most people seem to ride bikes as well as drive) and the roads for the most part aren't overloaded with traffic.

I agree whole-heartedly with remarks about making sure you're seen - one must give the cagers a chance - so I wear a HiViz H-Belt and a white helmet always and try not to creep up on cars.
Incidentally, reflective stickers on crash helmets are mandatory here.
Back to top Go down
Janice
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Janice

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-05-11

PostSubject: Re: no respect for wheels   no respect for wheels I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 28, 2009 2:14 pm

I was told in my safety course to ride as if I was invisible, which I do, and I also ride as if the few people who can see me are out to kill me. The drivers here have a very "me first" attitude even if it only gets them one car ahead at a stop light. I have had cars pass me on the right- using a bicycle lane.
My sister in law was out here from Vancouver B.C. for a week, and I took her out for a few spins on the S'Wing - she is a passenger on her husband's sport bike- and she was appalled at the number of drivers who regard stop signs as "suggestions" , and just roll through intersections, rather than requirements to come to a complete halt.
I give car drivers every chance to see me - I tend to move from one track to the other at intersections to give oncoming traffic a better view, I move over to the other track when nearing the top of a hill in case a car has decided to pass another on the other side, I swerve a bit to increase my profile when approaching cross streets , and I always try to stay aware of what and who is around me. Another thing we were taught at my safety course was to check our mirrors after every intersection to see if the situation behind had changed (this in addition to the constant mirror and shoulder checks)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: no respect for wheels   no respect for wheels I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

no respect for wheels
Page 1 of 1