Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Scottlandtrip in May

Go down 
+5
model28a
Meldrew
sctr199
john grinsel
Dreirad
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Dreirad
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dreirad

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2015-03-15

Scottlandtrip in May  Empty
PostSubject: Scottlandtrip in May    Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2015 8:43 am

Hello UK,

I am planning a trip to Scottland in May and so I´ve read all travel guides I could get.  "Lonely planet - Scottland" seems to be the very best.
Thats the theoretical preparation..

The route is Newcastle upon Tyne- Glasgow/Drymen - Inverness - Kinross - Newcastle and I want to avoid the motorways.

I´d like to know, if there are  some hidden corners beside the way which we should not miss.

Thanks and Greetings from Heidelberg

Peter
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Scottlandtrip in May    Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2015 9:04 am

Make sure you carry spare drive belt.
Back to top Go down
Dreirad
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dreirad

PostSubject: Re: Scottlandtrip in May    Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2015 5:38 pm

Already done, John!
Got a new one in March. The old one is placed with some tools in the sidecar cargo bay.

Peter
Back to top Go down
sctr199
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
sctr199

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Scottlandtrip in May    Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2015 6:39 pm

Recommend a good rainsuit stowed where you can get to it quickly
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Scottlandtrip in May    Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2015 6:53 pm

sctr199 wrote:
Recommend a good rainsuit stowed where you can get to it quickly

Is that based on your experience of riding and touring in Scotland, or just a general assumption?
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Scottlandtrip in May    Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2015 7:31 pm

Peter since I have no experience of riding and touring in Scotland I guess I'm not qualified to offer any advice or suggestions. So I'll just wish you a safe and enjoyable trip. Cool
Back to top Go down
sctr199
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
sctr199

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2013-07-29

PostSubject: Re: Scottlandtrip in May    Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2015 11:21 pm

Meldrew wrote:

Is that based on your experience of riding and touring in Scotland, or just a general assumption?[/quote]

Spent a few months there spread over a couple of years courtesy of the U.S. Submarine Service.  Have to admit my travel there was limited. Incredibly beautiful country. May should be a very nice time of the year.  Wish I could go.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Scottlandtrip in May    Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2015 8:23 am

What Americans describe as "Rain-suit"-----does not work in Europe......I rode and lived in Europe for over 20 years----rode from North Cap to southern Italy-----the writer already living in Germany, will or should have professional riding gear-----so no need to change clothes as the local conditions change-----you already have them on, I like rubber boots, too.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Scottlandtrip in May    Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2015 10:28 am

john grinsel wrote:
What Americans describe as "Rain-suit"-----does not work in Europe......I rode and lived in Europe for over 20 years----rode from North Cap to southern Italy-----the writer already living in Germany, will or should have professional riding gear-----so no need to change clothes as the local conditions change-----you already have them on,   I like rubber boots, too.

The rain is actually wetter over there! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Dreirad
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dreirad

PostSubject: Re: Scottlandtrip in May    Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2015 11:19 am

Summery of bikers weatherforecast for Western Europe in May: I am going to wear a dry divingsuit on the trip... clown
Back to top Go down
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2014-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Scottlandtrip in May    Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2015 4:22 pm

Difference between summer and winter in Scotland ? the rain gets warmer in summer (usually)

Seriously it's a great country, if you have the time for a detour try and do the Applecross pass, serious alpine type road and the road back to make a circular route is great, good pub at the bottem of the pass.Getting from Fort William to the Skye bridge is also a great road.

Watch the A82 on the way up from Glasgow, nice road but a bad reputation for accidents, Stirling to Green Welly is a better bet but not as scenic. Coming back down you could divert off and come down the coast via Aberdeen, Dundee, St Andrews and all the lovely coastal villages along the way, avoid A9 same as A82 and well policed.

All depends how long you've got, like I say to my boss at work I love coming to work - its the 8 hours till i can ride home that's a bitch. My 20 mile journey is very mainly country roads with a 1 mile roller coaster called the Breich Braes
Back to top Go down
Dreirad
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dreirad

PostSubject: Re: Scottlandtrip in May    Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 8:08 am

Thanks for your helpful lines, Phil!
We will try the Applecross pass on our day in Inverness. The Skye bridge will be out off range. I thougt for nothern end of Loch Awe and riding westward from there.
Studying maps is my main job at the moment!
Back to top Go down
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

PostSubject: Re: Scottlandtrip in May    Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 2:49 pm

Check the maps, your not far off skye when you turn off, mind you coming from from inverness will save the miles. Worth a trip
Back to top Go down
derekg
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2010-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Scottlandtrip in May    Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 5:28 pm

I agree with Phils advice and enjoy the trip...Hope the weather is kind for you
One thing...The West coast of Scotland is recognized as being much more scenic than the East Coast....and I think better for riding.... Just my view ( and no offense meant to any East coasters as I am from the East Coast originally) but if I had limited time in Scotland I would stick to the West coast as much as possible and get as far North as time allowed...North West Scotland is just fantastic for scenery and interesting journeys. It does not sound like you will have the time but North of Ullapool into LochInver and Achiltibuie is simply dramatic...perhaps for another visit if you enjoy this trip....Have a great time.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Scottlandtrip in May  510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Scottlandtrip in May    Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2015 10:11 pm

Dreirad wrote:

Studying maps is my main job at the moment!
Planning is half the fun. Enjoy your trip. small moped
Back to top Go down
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

PostSubject: Re: Scottlandtrip in May    Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2015 1:53 pm

just one point to remember, the drink drive limit is lower in scotland than the rest of the uk, our beloved leaders seem to think we have a drink problem and the worst offenders, buckfast, strong cider and carlsberg specialbrew arent even brewed here! though the single malts if your not riding are worth a try
Back to top Go down
Dreirad
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dreirad

PostSubject: Re: Scottlandtrip in May    Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2015 3:19 pm

Of course, drinking and riding doesn´t fit together. But that will not prevent me from taking single malt samples during the day´s stages and examine the in the evening.
The countdown is running!
Back to top Go down
Dreirad
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dreirad

PostSubject: Re: Scottlandtrip in May    Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 1:43 pm

Back again and WOW! What a trip!!
Weather was rather dry, rainsuits were only two times in use. But a strong, cold wind was blowing from the beginning until the end.
But that´s the minor point! The landscape was the top event. May be round the next corner the landscape changes completely, so you get a problem to keep your eyes on the road. On our way to Inveress I had to stop just to assimilate the mass of views I caught(Glencoe and the eastern Bank of Loch Ness around Foyers).
From Inverness we tried to reach Applecross. First bad luck: Battery was down. With a new one we tried again but there were lots of snow to be seen in the mountains ahead and it started raining. O.K. lets visit the destillery Glen Orch!
The Cairngorms, Dalwhinnie, Kinross and St.Andrews were the stationes of the next two days.
This was our first biketour and it was more than successfull!
So much impressions, so many kind and friendly people!
We enjoyed Scottland very,very much. There will be a next time!
I miss haggis for breakfast!
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Scottlandtrip in May    Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 4:23 pm

applause Peter thank you for your trip report. It sounds like you had a great time. I sure wish I could ride abroad someday.
Back to top Go down
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

PostSubject: Re: Scottlandtrip in May    Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2015 5:15 pm

glad to hear you enjoyed the trip, first 2 weeks in May we were in Portugal and the weather reports from back home were horrendous. Shame you missed Applecross but if there was snow still on the hills then the pass would have snow as well for sure. not advisable as the road closes in winter.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Scottlandtrip in May    Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2015 1:38 pm

cheers Glad you had a great trip! cheers Now you're hooked.
Back to top Go down
Dreirad
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Dreirad

PostSubject: Re: Scottlandtrip in May    Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2015 1:06 pm

Hello everyone,
for completing the trip report I droped some pictures in my personal Album to give some imresions of Scottland. I hope you will enjoy them.
Greetings from the european center of summerheat - Heidelberg

Peter
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Scottlandtrip in May    Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 13, 2015 6:01 pm

applause I really liked the one of the stone bridge. That water really looked inviting after triple digit days we've been having. applause
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scottlandtrip in May    Scottlandtrip in May  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scottlandtrip in May
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Riding :: Rides and Stories-
Jump to: