Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing

Go down 
+6
Meldrew
exavid
LDB
Chilliwing
JeffR
john grinsel
10 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing Empty
PostSubject: Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing   Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2014 10:56 am

Put a new 2013 on the road Feb. 2014, my second new SilverWing.
Current miles 22,000.

#1 works fine as scooter

#2 best solution to the buffeting=Givi Adjustable windshield. Basic maxi scooter design flaw it that your nose is too far from tip of shield----I have purchased and used up 9 maxi scooters since 1990 and wasted lots of money on after market shields....trying to get calm air around my head.

#3 one small warranty claim----oil leak in rear drive----had dealer look at/fix and while stuff was apart, had him install new drive belt (purchased there)

#4 complaints==too heavy!! can be top heavy loaded for tour. I do not think drive line take up is as nice as it could for real slow speed stuff----linked brakes not my favorite for the slow stuff----Helix best with foot brake/Burgman 400 with left hand controlling rear good, too. Is dated...at least in US market-no electric plug, or 4-way flashers, heated grips.

#5 Maint. simple: keep lever pivots oiled,wash bike----oil I use WalMart 10-40 and change at 2,000 miles or 60 days. Reg. Gas works fine. MPG about 55 mpg on extended trips with camping gear, tools, etc. I will not check valves unless noise develops. Lemon Pledge works on plastic and windshield. Bike only goes to dealer for warranty. Blackpaint can chip---black fingernail polish is good touch up.

I understand NEW 600SilverWings are/is dead issue in US market----but there seems to be a lot of new leftovers out there waiting to be purchased....and as years go by this will be "used SilverWing" forum.

My opinion: still good buy-----when I bought this one, though about Suzuki 650, but the $2500 more or so scared me off.

As I usually traded at or before 50,000 miles----current SilverWing will be around another year or so----Next bike? stayed tuned.

Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing   Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2014 12:49 pm

John,

Would you consider the BMW scooter? I hear they are nice but I'm not sure if BMW lets you do your own maintenance without voiding the warranty. There really isn't a good selection since the SWing may be hard to find new, when you want to buy, and the TMAX not here anymore. There is also the Kymco 700i that is supposed to be a nice bike from what I read.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
Chilliwing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Chilliwing

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing   Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 pm

I agree with your summation John. The Yamaha Bronze Max is available here, seems like a nice machine and I hear it handles the best of the maxi
scooters. I rode the BMW and also handles well, bit pricey for purchase and parts. These plus the Burgy may be the last maxis available in Canada. The last Swing sold here was in 2009.

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing   Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 11, 2014 3:24 pm

I have had new TMAX---probably best handling scooter and fast. But as miles piled up----complicated drive train scared me off before I had to pay to fix.

BMW....I have been BMW owner since 1958----they have built some real junk. Did try the new BMW scooter=overpriced, Taiwan heart---much better to buy Kymco, at least their parts are fairly priced.
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2014-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing   Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2014 4:34 pm

In the U.S. your warranty can not be voided. That is law, Magnusson-Moss. A specific portion of your warranty could be voided if it can be proven that a non-standard part or service was done that caused a subsequent warrantable failure. IOW, if you add say a 2000 watt widget that over stresses and fries the alternator the warranty of the alternator will be voided. They can not void the warranty on the brakes or exhaust or whatever because of it though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing   Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2014 9:41 pm

The BMW C600 Sport and the C650 GT are definitely not made in Taiwan. They are produced in Spandau-Berlin Germany.

Kymco made a 450cc engine for a BMW scooter, not the 650s.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing   Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2014 11:32 pm

Actually the BMW C600 Sport and the C650GT have engines built by Kymco under license from BMW. The rest of the bike is indeed built in Berlin. Some Honda engines are also being built by Kymco under license. From what I've read in several places Kymco's manufacturing facility is one of the best in the world. Also if BMW and Honda think Kymco builds engines good enough for their marque they're okay by me.
I liked my two SWs. Nice scoots once you change the windshield to the Givi Adjustable. I think the SW is one of the most bulletproof maxi scooter going. That said I think the BMW scooters are superior in most ways, handling is immensely better to me. More power, stock ABS, heated seat and grips, cubby with 12V outlet, tire pressure monitor, air temperature with frost warning, large underseat storeage and on mine the factory top box. The 15" wheels handle rough roads better than the smaller wheels on the SW and the bike is very solid in the twisties. I was very surprised how well it does in the curves. I can beat my friend's Goldwings around some tight curves and a GL1800 is no slouch.

I still like the SW and if I was to buy a stable mate scooter for my 650GT it would be a SW. For town the SW is excellent but on the longer runs and in cold weather the GT shines. The Burgman 650 is more expensive than the BMW with the luxury package too. I don't think there are any 'bad' maxi scooters, it's a matter of taste, riding style, and needs. I have a BMW K1100LT motorcycle which I love for getting out on the backroads and byways, but for comfort and running errands a scooter is better if not quite as satisfying to ride.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing   Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2014 11:36 pm

I think rear wheel removal on BMW is easier than SilverWing=good feature. I agree on engine made in Taiwan, not bike.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing   Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 12, 2014 11:40 pm

I stand corrected, the F650 engine is built in Germany, not the C600's engine nor the C650.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing   Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 12:22 am

Exavid is correct about where the engines are made and I would have no problem with having a Kymco engine or bike. I'm surprised that Honda doesn't upgrade the SWing or bring over the Intregra scooter. I will never understand why the U.S. gets the short end of the stick with bikes. But the SWing is bullet-proof and a very enjoyable ride.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing   Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 4:37 am

JeffR wrote:
I'm surprised that Honda doesn't upgrade the SWing or bring over the Intregra scooter.  I will never understand why the U.S. gets the short end of the stick with bikes.  But the SWing is bullet-proof and a very enjoyable ride.  

As I've mentioned in previous posts, Honda upgraded the FJS/FSC Silver Wing in 2010. It's now called the SW-T Silver Wing and is available in Europe in 600 and 400 versions with ABS. Why Honda UK don't import it I've no idea.

As for the Integra, a couple of weeks ago I took an interest in a very low mileage 2014 red 750 Integra in a local dealers. Then when I thought of the rubbish trade in price they offered me, plus the cost of adding a Givi rack, panniers/saddlebags, replacement screen, hugger, RAM mounts, and a few other bits I'd need to bring it up to spec for my needs, I lost interest.

I've had a look at the SYM Maxsym 600i in another dealers and I can't get worked up about that either. I'm seriously thinking I'd like to replace the Silver Wing with the Peugeot Metropolis 400i 3 wheel scooter.

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing   Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 10:27 am

US Market no longer important to Honda, especially Big Scooters and they don't sell or get ridden a lot=no new models. Just business plan and the real world.

My SilverWing will be ridden/used for next 25,000-30,000 miles and time for new bike. MyTU250 Suzuki resides as spare===cheap to run, low cost insurance and actually quite fun on long trips. No centerstand sucks, though. Lots of oil slopped on chain=40,000 miles expected life for chain and sprockets
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing   Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 12:31 pm

In Canada you have a better chance of a bigfoot sighting than a scooter sighting!! Ive had my swing for around 3 years and i only recall getting a fleeting glance of another swing, maybe twice! Honda pulled the swing off the shelves due to the lack of interest. Too many goatee and bandana wearing HD clones!
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing   Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 2:15 pm

I think the main reason for disinterest in scooters in North America is due to Harley Davidson's excellence at creating an image of the "outlaw" biker. Seems the common herd in Canada and the US have a need to be 'rugged individuals' and macho by dressing alike and buying HDs. Even better if they have a large beer gut and scraggly grey beards. The HD creed seems to be looking down on other brands and thinking they're superior because of their choice of bikes. I agree to an extent, Harleys are very nice 1950s bikes.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing   Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 4:24 pm

Agree on HD thing---I had 4 Electra Glides,including one new as factory sidecar outfit(1966),last new one 1973. They were nice as transportation/touring--55-60mph or they shook apart!! or blew engine up. Seat (solo) choice great. This was in the pre dress in Haloween costume and hide under bridges when it rains! days.( not me, them)----Their question to me---in the middle of nowhere---you rode that here?
Nice feature of pre-belt drive=chain oiler.
Really funny when I had TMAX----I could "smoke" them in most cases with NO NOISE.

Three Sportsters----'66 XLH--kick starter, centerstand (accessory) Windshield, hard bags, 4 Gallon tank----not bad bike if you could stand all the shaking. -- Last time working in Japan----my boss gave me Sportster(Hugger) Crap---told him I would quit if I had to ride it----was quickly exchanged for Normal spoke wheel black sportster=ok if you liked small gas tank, shaking and SLOW!! 250 Suzuki scooter smoked me on Express way! My GIVI rode proudly over rear fender.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing   Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 13, 2014 7:24 pm

One thing for sure after 55 years or so of riding bikes is that I'll never again own an air cooled bike. The simplicity is nice but the over heating problems aren't. Here in Southern Oregon it gets over 100F quite a few days in the summer. On a short trip down to CA and back a few summers ago with friends one of whom had a HD trike had his bike overheat in the hills and Harley's ingenious (not) system of cutting off the rear cylinder when it overheats reduced this guy's top speed on the freeway to about 35mph. None of the rest of us with water cooled bikes had any heating problems at all.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing   Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2014 8:05 am

I used to think that water cooling on a bike/scooter was over engineering and not necessary. My KLR was my first water cooled bike the Silver Wing the 2nd. I am amazed at how well the SWing and Goldwing cope with high temps in Arizona and the like. I ride frequently with Harley people and they still have problems when the temps soar. So yes, a street bike with air cooling is NOT in the cards for me! My Trail 90 is air cooled of course but at the speeds it is capable of, there is not really a problem!
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing   Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2014 11:46 pm

John that was a great write up.
Back to top Go down
Porkie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Porkie

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2014-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing   Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2014 8:49 pm

Hi John!

You and I have exchanged thoughts on many scooter forums and even the NT forum over the years. I still quote you from time to time.

Last I heard you were giving up "rubber band drive scooters."

All I have now is a 2005 Burgman 650, a 2013 Kymco Xciting 500RI ABS and my 2012 Goldwing.

Currently, I'm seriously thinking of buying a new Silverwing.

Take care!

Sam Porter
Back to top Go down
http://www.carthageelectronics.com
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing   Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2014 9:26 am

Left over/new SilverWings are fine, but bad windshield,no plug in, etc and 16,000 mile belt change......but in their price range, probably no competition.

Hondas are reliable, still many dealers-----rode my SilverWing to 46 states 2014, the other 3 states, my Suzuki TU250, which I enjoy.

No new Silverwings found? New Suzuki Burgman 400 good alternative (bought 2 new)...maybe 100 lbs lighter than SilverWing.

I did look at Suzuki 650---but the extra $2500 or so cared me off...this time.

Goal on current 2013 SilverWing left over is to ride it out to 50,000 miles and trade.
Back to top Go down
Porkie
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Porkie

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2014-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing   Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 12:20 pm

Well, I'm almost ready to pull the trigger and buy a new 2013 Silver Wing cheers

I found one for $6,500 out the door, which I think sounds good??

The only thing I dislike is the color is BLACK Rolling Eyes It will always be dirty and dusty even just an hour after it's spotless---yes, I'm meticulous about my scoots and bikes being pristine.

The sale is in progress---sorta-maybe!

Happy New Year Folk's.

Sam Cool
Back to top Go down
http://www.carthageelectronics.com
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing   Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 12:51 pm

Porkie wrote:
Well, I'm almost ready to pull the trigger and buy a new 2013 Silver Wing cheers

I found one for $6,500 out the door, which I think sounds good??

The only thing I dislike is the color is BLACK Rolling Eyes  It will always be dirty and dusty even just an hour after it's spotless---yes, I'm meticulous about my scoots and bikes being pristine.

The sale is in progress---sorta-maybe!

Happy New Year Folk's.

Sam Cool

Sounds like a great deal!!! Enjoy the new SWing oh and by the way you can get the Silver Wing in any color you want as long as it is BLACK!
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing   Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2014 12:54 pm

Sam,

Congrats and that is a really good price you are getting. I had the 2007 and in 2008 they put some kind of O2 sensor in the exhaust which increased the mpg's. I kind of wish I waited a year but I sure miss my Swing in many ways. Keep us informed and make sure you post a pic because I don't think anyone has ever seen a black SWing. rolling laughter
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing   Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Experiences with new (left over 2013) SilverWing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: