Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hello from Northamptonshire, UK

Go down 
+12
Bash On!
cotetoi
Dale N.
HORNBLOWER
dwoodul
model28a
The Bern
Oscar K
SuzySwing
MikeO
JeffR
Tone
16 posters
AuthorMessage
Tone
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tone

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2014-11-20

Hello from Northamptonshire, UK Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Northamptonshire, UK   Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 1:46 pm

Hi, I've been browsing the web for SW info and have just found this site. I've been riding bikes since 1964, starting on a LD150 Lambretta and at present have a BMW1150GS which at 68 is getting a bit too much for the old codger!
I guess it really does not fulfill my present requirements and so I'm looking for a good low-mileage SW as soon as the BM is sold and from what I have read so far it looks as though I have made the right choice of future mount.band
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northamptonshire, UK   Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 2:02 pm

Tone,

Welcome to the site and hope you have good luck finding a nice SWing. Just ask away if you have any questions or use the 'search' function for lots of info.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3790
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northamptonshire, UK   Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 2:57 pm

Hello from Salisbury. Smile
Back to top Go down
SuzySwing
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SuzySwing

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2014-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northamptonshire, UK   Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 3:15 pm

Hello and welcome. I was staying in Daventry last week and rode through Northampton on a rental/hire motorcycle. I love my Silver Wing in Atlanta and hope you will enjoy yours. I suggest you find one with ABS - very nice extra safety margin over non-ABS. If you buy an old one please check the tires for cracking. Other than that they work really well and do not seem to mind if they are washed or not. Be careful to close the seat with a click, else the light inside the compartment will drain the battery. I have bought a GIVI topbox and throttle lock. The box is great. The lock is good on long Interstate rides but probably not of use in your area or on UK Motorways.

All the Best
Suzi
Back to top Go down
Oscar K
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Oscar K

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-10-28

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northamptonshire, UK   Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 3:42 pm

Hi

I'm very new to the Swing myself but have just cruised home at 80 mph on the motorway, out accelerated cars from the lights and all in complete comfort.

I'm starting to bond with this scoot!

Good hunting

Oscar
Back to top Go down
The Bern
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Bern

Number of posts : 897

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northamptonshire, UK   Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 20, 2014 3:52 pm

Smile Hello & Welcome Smile
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northamptonshire, UK   Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 2:15 am

welcome
Good luck selling your BMW fast and finding that perfect Silverwing quickly.
Back to top Go down
Tone
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tone

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northamptonshire, UK   Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2014 3:22 am

Thanks,Guys - I'll keep you posted on how things go....little matter of a new fuel pump to go on the BM first!!
Back to top Go down
dwoodul
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dwoodul

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2014-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northamptonshire, UK   Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2014 9:18 am

Welcome.!!! This is a great site. Lots of info... Just sold my 2 "motorcycles" :-) and will stick with the SWing for a while as I fits all my needs.
Back to top Go down
HORNBLOWER
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2013-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northamptonshire, UK   Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2014 2:30 pm

Hi Tone, I lived in Wellingborough for quite a while from the age of 8 till I went to study I Birmingham. My first bike was an LD150 too that I bought in 1972 and I still have it! I have been riding A Honda Blackbird as a tourer and a GSXR1000 for fun the past few years, Ive had several modern scooters recently and I bought a Silverwing for town and short distance commuting last year. I think its a brilliant bit of kit but just a little thirsty given that it isn't particularly swift, however the job I bought it for it does well. The weather protection is good but I am planning on getting one of the Tourano Urbano aprons during the winter.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1983
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northamptonshire, UK   Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2014 4:40 pm

Welcome to the site Tone. I bought my 08 SWing in April of this year and like it a lot. It does our highway speeds without breaking a sweat and gets about 50 miles per gallon.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northamptonshire, UK   Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2014 9:02 am

I am chiming in a bit late, but reading this post brought very fond memories of Northampton. I lived there from 1973-1976 while I trained as a Nurse at the ( then) St Andrews Hospital on Billing Road.
I am 62 and, Hey Tone, we might even have crossed paths unknowingly.
Welcome to the forum; you will meet lots of interesting people from everywhere who are passionate about their rides.
Back to top Go down
Tone
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tone

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northamptonshire, UK   Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2015 3:20 pm

As I have posted in another topic, I have now p/x-ed the GS for a 2011, black Silverwing with just under 8000 miles on the clock and a load of good add-ons - such as a Givi air-flow windscreen and E55 topcase, as well as mirror and legshield extenders. The dealer I am buying from (Hughenden M40) is fitting Oxford heated grips and I have a topcase backrest and fender-extenda on order from e-bay.
Picking the bike up on Monday and looking forward to the 50 mile ride home!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northamptonshire, UK   Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2015 4:41 pm

Sounds like you'll have a great set-up on your new scooter.  Congratulations, and have a terrific inaugural ride home!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northamptonshire, UK   Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2015 8:57 am

Ride safe!

I find my Silverwing lively in the wind but it never frightens me because I know it will keep me safe if I let it. Wink

Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northamptonshire, UK   Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2015 1:32 pm

Welcome Tone, you will soon find the Silverwing just as nimble and steady as any bike, first thing to watch is pulling the left lever for the clutch (which is now the brake), you soon get the hang of it. Best advice you will ever get is to remove the underseat light bulb, it is not needed and can drain the battery overnight if seat not fully closed. Hope it stays fine on Monday that storm is still around. Smile
Back to top Go down
Tone
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tone

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northamptonshire, UK   Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 14, 2015 6:23 pm

Thanks, chaps - will let you know how I get on!
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northamptonshire, UK   Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2015 1:59 pm

When one of my friends transitions to a SW from a motorcycle I always nag them to emulate a boxer and "lead with your left" when using the brakes. It does take some getting used to going easy on that 'clutch' lever.
Back to top Go down
Tone
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tone

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northamptonshire, UK   Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2015 1:04 pm

Blustery day but fairly clear. Left the dealers and filled the tank at Oxford Services and headed North to Banbury. Very impressed with the smooth take up and the protection from the windshield and fairing.
Really had to concentrate to keep the speed down to the limit! Met a few side winds and passed many lorries without being blown across the road - very reassuring.
Thanks for the advice on the rear brake lever, I did forget once at a roundabout - fortunately there was noone behind me!
Left Banbury on the A361 to Daventry and then up the A5 to home - nice twisty road through pictureque villages with a 50mph limit and then a straight run up the A5. A little spot of rain as I left the motorway but otherwise a dry ride. The bike was a joy to ride. I made the right decision!!
Back to top Go down
Dave Weller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northamptonshire, UK   Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2015 1:35 pm

Tone,
Interesting comments for me to ponder over, I ended up buying a Deauville 3 years ago instead of going the FJS600 route. But the FJS600 could still be on the cards as a replacement one day.
Spanners (on X9 Site).
Back to top Go down
Cookie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Cookie

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2011-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northamptonshire, UK   Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2015 2:15 pm

Glad you're enjoying it Tone - they do crack on a bit eh?

Nighthawk - I moved from a Deauville to a Silverwing. I loved the Deauville and it did everything I wanted but I did find it a bit cumbersome sometimes. I went on a camping trip to Mid Wales and got a bit fed up with spending nearly all the time changing between second and third gears on many of the small roads in the hills.
I did exactly the same trip on the same roads a couple of years later on the Silverwing. It handled the motorway run to get there every bit as well and took my tent and luggage comfortably. In the hills it was a revelation and was much more pleasant. The CVT transmission meant that I could sit back and enjoy the ride and the scenery more than I had done previously. I haven't regretted the change. The only downside being a slightly more bumpy ride on rough roads due to the smaller wheels.
The Silverwing used a little bit less fuel too and was much easier to hop on and off of with my tent and stuff strapped onto the pillion seat.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northamptonshire, UK   Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2015 2:21 pm

'ello, 'ello!

Is that really you, Dave?
Back to top Go down
Dave Weller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northamptonshire, UK   Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2015 5:50 pm

Mike, covers blown, it really is me, I've been very busy lately, the bank of dad has financed a few jobs at my daughters new flat, which I organised for her.
I have an interest in Silverwing's as there are no members of the local Honda Owner's Club I attend with one, most members are 60+ and it would be a better bike for most of them if only they would take the plunge. They know that even my Beverly 350 can easy keep up on ride outs, if a good example became available I could p/ex Beverly for one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Northamptonshire, UK   Hello from Northamptonshire, UK I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from Northamptonshire, UK
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Introductions-
Jump to: