Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
New Drive Belt and Sliders I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
New Drive Belt and Sliders I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
New Drive Belt and Sliders I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
New Drive Belt and Sliders I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
New Drive Belt and Sliders I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
New Drive Belt and Sliders I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
New Drive Belt and Sliders I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
New Drive Belt and Sliders I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
New Drive Belt and Sliders I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New Drive Belt and Sliders I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New Drive Belt and Sliders

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
powpilot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
powpilot

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2014-06-30

New Drive Belt and Sliders Empty
PostSubject: New Drive Belt and Sliders   New Drive Belt and Sliders I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2014 4:04 pm

So I picked up my 2003 SWing about 5 weeks ago and have been cleaning it up and changing the liquids, etc.  With 14,800 miles, I decided to change out the drive belt and while in there, to replace the rollers with Dr Pulley sliders (26 gr).  The objective, aside from a new belt, was to quiet down some of the vibration and associated noise.

First, a thanks to Bigbird for the video demonstrating the procedure.  I probably would not have tried it without that.

It took about an hour and a half to do the whole thing.  The only problem was twisting off a bolt when putting it back together and that was easily handled.

The results:  while there is still vibration, it is noticeably quieter.  Acceleration appears to be a little bit better (subjective judgement) and at 65MPH actual, I was running at 5,000 RPM as opposed to 5,400 with the old belt and rollers.  All in all, a worthwhile effort and doable by pretty much anybody with the tools.

Gary
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: New Drive Belt and Sliders   New Drive Belt and Sliders I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2014 5:13 pm

Congrats Gary! Glad it worked out good for you. Keep us posted. And don't throw away your old belt Embarassed
Back to top Go down
powpilot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
powpilot

PostSubject: Re: New Drive Belt and Sliders   New Drive Belt and Sliders I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2014 6:08 pm

GHM-PM wrote:
Congrats Gary!  Glad it worked out good for you.  Keep us posted.  And don't throw away your old belt Embarassed

Yeah, I will hang on to that. Have not checked the belt and rollers to see if they remain in spec, but I will do that tomorrow. Been busy riding my scooter all over town today! The weather is gorgeous and the roads are full of bikes.

Gary
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: New Drive Belt and Sliders   New Drive Belt and Sliders I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2014 7:42 pm

Gary,

It is good you did your own maintenance. It saves a lot of money and feels good sometimes to do your own work. I liked the sliders better than the rollers and felt it was a bit nicer riding.
Back to top Go down
powpilot
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
powpilot

PostSubject: Re: New Drive Belt and Sliders   New Drive Belt and Sliders I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 27, 2014 7:49 pm

JeffR_ wrote:
It is good you did your own maintenance.  It saves a lot of money and feels good sometimes to do your own work.  I liked the sliders better than the rollers and felt it was a bit nicer riding.

You know, Jeff, it really does feel good to do something like that. I'm not a "wrench", but I can follow instructions. I was thinking about that when I was buttoning the job up. And while it may just be perception, the bike does feel smoother to me.

Gary
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Drive Belt and Sliders   New Drive Belt and Sliders I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Drive Belt and Sliders
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: