Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Delamination of Tyre I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 1:55 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Delamination of Tyre I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Delamination of Tyre I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Delamination of Tyre I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Delamination of Tyre I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Delamination of Tyre I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
Delamination of Tyre I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Delamination of Tyre I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Delamination of Tyre I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Delamination of Tyre I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Delamination of Tyre

Go down 
+3
Cosmic_Jumper
Silver Dave K
Black Sapper
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Black Sapper
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-01-01

Delamination of Tyre Empty
PostSubject: Delamination of Tyre   Delamination of Tyre I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 7:55 am

I was riding my 2004 Wing on a dual carriage way road at about fifty mph, when I noticed a "bumping" coming from the rear of the bike. The handling was not affected, so I pulled into a service area to check the tyres, to my horror, I noticed that an area of rubber, approximately the size of my hand had separated from the tread and had disappeared!!!!! The canvas and cords were intact and I had been running on this for approximately three miles before stopping. The tyres were Avon Viper Strykes with about 2500miles on them. The recovery truck driver said he had not seen tyre damage like that and was amazed that I had not had the tyre blow.
Back to top Go down
Silver Dave K
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2014-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Delamination of Tyre   Delamination of Tyre I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 9:31 am

That's two of us that probably will never purchase another Avon tire. Mad
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Delamination of Tyre   Delamination of Tyre I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 10:14 am

That happened here as well. It wasn't my SW but a friend's. Unfortunately the tire brand is lost to memory, but I kind of doubt that it was an Avon.

Tim
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Delamination of Tyre 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Delamination of Tyre   Delamination of Tyre I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 12:14 pm

It would be interesting to know the age of the tires/tyres. Not when they were installed, but when they were made.
Back to top Go down
yammer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
yammer

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2013-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Delamination of Tyre   Delamination of Tyre I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 03, 2014 5:18 pm

I had this happening to my front tyre on my XJR, I was doing about 180 KPH on a stretch of road when I noticed the front juddering. It's a Dunlop Roadsmart but it may be due to the age of the tyre as it's been around 4 years on the bike as I don't ride it much.Delamination of Tyre <a href=Delamination of Tyre Faultytyre_zpsc5892bae" />
Back to top Go down
Rs42sport
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Rs42sport

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2014-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Delamination of Tyre   Delamination of Tyre I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 3:02 am

Black Sapper wrote:
I was riding my 2004 Wing on a dual carriage way road at about fifty mph, when I noticed a "bumping" coming from the rear of the bike. The handling was not affected, so I pulled into a service area to check the tyres, to my horror, I noticed that an area of rubber, approximately the size of my hand had separated from the tread and had disappeared!!!!! The canvas and cords were intact and I had been running on this for approximately three miles before stopping. The tyres were Avon Viper Strykes with about 2500miles on them. The recovery truck driver said he had not seen tyre damage like that and was amazed that I had not had the tyre blow.

Do you have a picture of the tire???
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Delamination of Tyre   Delamination of Tyre I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 10:30 am

yammer wrote:
Delamination of Tyre <a href=Delamination of Tyre Faultytyre_zpsc5892bae" />

Ooo!...Now that I've had a 2nd cup of coffee, I recall having a similar delamination. It was caused by the tire being nicked or cut at the bead as the tire was being mounted on the wheel. When they added enough pressure to seat the tire a large bubble appeared on the side wall. They deflated the tire and tried again. This time two large bubbles appeared -both on the side wall again. On the third try the bubbles appeared at different locations with the addition of one new bubble on the tire thread.

Evidentally the 'defective' bead was allowing air to enter the laminations causing the delamination. So even if those delamination bubbles didn't initially appear, with the tire heating up and pressure increasing when riding at high speeds those delamination bubbles and tire failure would certainly develop.

Scary thought ain't it?

Tim
Back to top Go down
Mrpw666
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2012-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Delamination of Tyre   Delamination of Tyre I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2014 10:54 am

Hi there

I had fitted Avon Vipers last year and they have never inspired total confidence. Having just checked the rear for tread depth well its finished! 2500 miles and trashed, just as well really coz I'm going to try the Michelin Power Pure next which I have heard great reviews for.

Enjoy the fine weather

Mark
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Delamination of Tyre   Delamination of Tyre I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Delamination of Tyre
Page 1 of 1