Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Remove trunk light bulb ... help

Go down 
+11
bikerboy
Old Limey
ScooterBJ
Colin B
Meldrew
ericclapham
GHM-PM
dspevack
KurtPerthWA
Dale N.
Greysilver
15 posters
AuthorMessage
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2014-04-08

Remove trunk light bulb ... help Empty
PostSubject: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 8:37 pm

I did a search, this topic and found about removing the light bulb. Ok, got that. How do I get the plastic cover off?  I see no screws.

(No, I have not pit crewed for Jackie Stewart).

Thank you for your answer.  Smile
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 11:09 pm

You just have to pry it off. I forget whether the tabs are on the sides or front and back. I just used a small screwdriver to get mine off.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 6:29 am

Replace the globe with LED globe. That way it will still start in the morning if your seat doesn't latch properly.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 8:36 am

There is also a drop in replacement of that fixture which adds a switch to it.
This way you can manually switch it on and off and never have to worry about
whether the seat has latched properly. Its about $25+shipping.

Dan
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 8:59 am

I installed the Honda/Acura unit that mentions above. It works slick and is easy to install. Do a search on here for the exact part number (that is what I did). Or simply remove the bulb altogether...
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 1:11 pm

GHM-PM and/or dspevack - More info perleeeeease!!!Do a search on where ???? "It's about $25 + shipping."- from where????
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 1:42 pm

Why don't you just remove the bulb and buy a $5 LED light, and keep it under the seat.
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 1:50 pm

Agreed! The built in light is pretty useless, once you have anything under the seat, as the light from it is obscured. Stick a light to the underside of the seat. NO chance then of flattening the bike's battery if you don't fully close the seat.  Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 3:13 pm

Back to top Go down
ScooterBJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2013-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 5:54 pm

I removed my entire light, sealed off the wires and made a cover for the hole. I never trusted the light anyway.
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 6:49 pm

Thank you everyone. I'm sure I'll remove at least the bulb and eventually the fixture. It looks exactly like a misfortune waiting to happen. I'll probably get an LED light and keep it in the trunk.  Smile
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2014 2:27 pm

Greysilver by all means remove the bulb(one of the first things i did) but, don't take the fitting out. You may want to sell in the future,as i intend doing soon so you just have to put the bulb back. Dennis B has many fittings and advice on bypassing unwanted things, but his advice is always do not cut or remove any standard fittings or joints. Smile 
Back to top Go down
Greysilver
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Greysilver

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 1:24 am

TY Limey, I did exactly that, remove bulb, replace plastic lens and keep bulb in an envelope.
I don't have the expertise to remove the mount anyway.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Trunk light bulb   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 1:44 am

I replaced my fitting with the switched one but hardly ever used it.  It's probably easier to carry an LED torch in the glove box, it is a lot more versatile and useful out on the road.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2014 7:23 am

bikerboy wrote:
I replaced my fitting with the switched one but hardly ever used it.  It's probably easier to carry an LED torch in the glove box, it is a lot more versatile and useful out on the road.

I agree, I replaced mine with the switched model and use it seldom but it does look good and if I ever sell won't have to swap them back out. I carry a small LED flashlight up near the owners manual for serious light.
Back to top Go down
mslinda
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
mslinda

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2014-06-02

PostSubject: Trunk Light Blub   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 7:10 pm

I had the same thing that happened to me when I got my silverwing. Left the seat up and came out 2 days later and bike was dead. Charged the battery, got it to work and removed the trunk bulb, as I don't use it at all.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1986
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 02, 2014 10:04 pm

I just order several of these: http://tinyurl.com/oma5dzm  and keep them on hand in all my vehicles. They run on AA batteries and are very bright.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 3:25 pm

Removing the bulb is admitting your old  Laughing  
(Dspevack are these words soft enough  Laughing )
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 3:42 pm

hotwings wrote:
Removing the bulb is admitting your old 

But old people at least had an education that taught the difference between 'your' (belonging to you) and 'you're' (abbreviated form of 'you are').  Rolling Eyes 

Anyway, what's your point  Question
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 5:21 pm

I think that removing the bulb avoids the problem,
while the switch fixture corrects the problem,
and there is nothing wrong with either one.

I don't know what age has to do with that.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 6:27 am

Collinb- never wuz wun fer dat fancy book lurnin,  Wink
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 8:29 am

I think because I bought my SWing new it made a difference. I was more inclined to replace the fixture than simply remove the bulb. Now if the scoot had been 10 years old... In any case, either solution works and I KNOW from experience during the last two years that had I not read on this forum about the problem I would have had at least one dead battery. The seat just does not always close properly although it looks like it does.

So regardless which approach you use... Use one!!!
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2014-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 12:38 am

I'm thinking remove the bulb and stick one of these to the bottom of the seat. I just have to be sure it isn't in the area where my helmet parks while I'm off the bike. I don't think there would be enough clearance.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/stick-n-39-click-lights-set-of-3/1014296999
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 6:40 am

LDB wrote:
I'm thinking remove the bulb and stick one of these to the bottom of the seat. I just have to be sure it isn't in the area where my helmet parks while I'm off the bike. I don't think there would be enough clearance.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/stick-n-39-click-lights-set-of-3/1014296999

The only issue with the stick on lights is the glue that holds the light seems to melt when the bike is in the sun on those hot summer days, making the light fall off. Tried it on my topbox but keeps falling off. Maybe a little epoxy would fix this, but would make the cheap light permanent!!
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 7:46 am

hotwings wrote:
LDB wrote:

The only issue with the stick on lights is the glue that holds the light seems to melt when the bike is in the sun on those hot summer days, making the light fall off. Tried it on my topbox but keeps falling off. Maybe a little epoxy would fix this, but would make the cheap light permanent!!

I used one of these lights in my left front cubby and it worked great. But as was stated it fell off relatively quickly... I glued it with an epoxy type glue and it has been attached for over 2 years with no problems.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 10:59 am

If you are going to use a light other than the built in one, I recommend something like this.
Remove trunk light bulb ... help Trailfinder-3-led-headlight

You can keep it in your hand or wear it like a headband and put light where you want it.

Dan
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 12:54 pm

dspevack wrote:
If you are going to use a light other than the built in one, I recommend something like this.
Remove trunk light bulb ... help Trailfinder-3-led-headlight

You can keep it in your hand or wear it like a headband and put light where you want it.

Dan
If riding a scooter dont keep you humble, strapping this to your head to get something will! I guess it will be at night so hopefully you wont get noticed Smile
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 3:06 pm

They also come in handy if you're ever doing any shaft mining.
Open pit, not so much.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 3:29 pm

hotwings wrote:

If riding a scooter dont keep you humble, strapping this to your head to get something will! I guess it will be at night so hopefully you wont get noticed Smile

I don't think it takes humility to use this. Its a tool.
Based on the tone of your comment I would guess you think choosing not to use it is a function of vanity.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 3:43 pm

bigbird wrote:
They also come in handy if you're ever doing any shaft mining.
Open pit, not so much.
 :lol!:
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 4:36 pm

dspevack wrote:

I think only a tool would wear such a tool while driving their scooter.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 4:52 pm

bigbird wrote:
dspevack wrote:

I think only a tool would wear such a tool while driving their scooter.

Ignoring for a moment that that's a derogatory and unnecessary comment, similar to JG saying. "Only real riders yatta yatta"...

We were referring to wearing this while standing over your bike trunk or open seat using it to see whatever it is you are doing. Sometimes you need two hands, and a fixed light on the interior top of your seat or trunk can end up giving you shadows where your arms and hands are.
Putting on a headlight means the light is always where you need it.

Now back to what I was ignoring....do I need to spell it out for you further Terry?
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 7:47 pm

Sorry, I misinterpreted. All I could picture was a scooter rider wearing one in lieu of a headlight. To keep one in the seat storage area would be a good idea in an emergency.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 8:18 pm

bigbird wrote:
Sorry, I misinterpreted.  All I could picture was a scooter rider wearing one in lieu of a headlight. To keep one in the seat storage area would be a good idea in an emergency.

Although I've never done it because there have always been better alternatives....

The theory of the third brake light being central and high for other drivers to better notice also applies to headlights. So if one was going to extremes to be careful...on say, a rental scooter that did not have additional lighting...wearing a headlamp while riding would serve a valuable, though not aesthetic purpose.  It would also have the benefit of lighting where you turn your head, where as your scooter would just light directly in front of you.  Amusingly, if at night you turn your head a lot, or bounce your head in time with the music, you would appear as a lunatic driver to oncoming traffic.  They would definitely steer clear of you.

Necessity is often the mother of invention, but rarely fashion. (Good save btw)  Smile 

Dan
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 10:01 pm

Bigbird get back in line. This site is no place for opinions. Smile Smile Smile .
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2014 11:11 pm

hotwings wrote:
Bigbird get back in line. This site is no place for opinions. Smile Smile Smile .

After apologizing and getting another dig in at JG for his ludicrous statements, I'm back in the queue.
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 6:40 am

I too opted for the light with switch for the trunk. As some have previously stated, it was not quite a 5min.job,mainly because the two springy plastic retainer lugs did not have enough give to allow the assy.to be pushed into the existing cut-out.This was overcome by a little "adjustment"wih a heat gun! As a portable torch ,I use a little gizmo called a Blocklite Mini Compact.
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2014-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 7:26 am

I can see myself turning on the switchable light and forgetting to turn it off just as likely as the current light not turning off due to the seat being improperly latched.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 25, 2014 8:16 am

LDB wrote:
I can see myself turning on the switchable light and forgetting to turn it off just as likely as the current light not turning off due to the seat being improperly latched.

Then you are probably a good candidate for removing the bulb totally...  clown 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Remove trunk light bulb ... help   Remove trunk light bulb ... help I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Remove trunk light bulb ... help
Page 1 of 1