Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» May 2024 forum picture
TORX socket I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 9:42 am

» Sinko De Mayo
TORX socket I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 8:33 pm

» checking the oil
TORX socket I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:13 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
TORX socket I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:08 am

» LF extended back rest
TORX socket I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
TORX socket I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
TORX socket I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
TORX socket I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
TORX socket I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
TORX socket I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

TORX socket

Go down 
+6
jmaslak
bigbird
model28a
Old Limey
Mudnman
john grinsel
10 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

TORX socket Empty
PostSubject: TORX socket   TORX socket I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 12:29 am

In prepping new tool kit for my new SilverWing----discover front axle pinch bolts are now TORX  T 5..... on my previous SilverWing I think they were allen head??  Going thru the bike, I found many bolts overtightened-----non-JIS/Japanese screwdriver used on battery box cover----screw already screwed up---replaced with regular head bolt----anyway angle to get at it better with box wrench or socket.

Looks like somebody used impact wrench on some nuts and bolts.

Rear axle nut---so tight 1/2 drive socket and breaker bar, standing on it will not come off----taking it back to dealer in the AM---let them figure out

Enjoy the new bike-----but Burgman had easier to use and bigger under seat storage/outside temp gauge/MPG display.  SilverWing handles better and buffeting with stock windshield better than Suzuki with stock shield

My GIVI scooter "Tank bag" fits well----I do not use straps but industrial Velcro to hold it on=works.

End:  Glad I do not have to depend on dealer to get things right!
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2014-01-16

TORX socket Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORX socket   TORX socket I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 27, 2014 1:32 am

Yah, impact= on =fast in-out work
That tight nut standing on breaker bar needed a bounce on the bar.Sounds like 200 ft.lbs
Your smart for checking things out at home .Hello AAA I need an impact.lol
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

TORX socket Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORX socket   TORX socket I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 5:36 pm

I have not trusted a dealer to do anything right for at least 20yrs. I once bought a new Honda Superdream 250. On the first "Free " service i was charged £25, i asked what for and they said oil was £20 ( you could buy 10/40w semi- syn for £15- 5 litres or 1gallon as it was then) the bike used 2litre max. What was the other £5 for? ancillaries, explain i said, well oiling the cables and topping up the brake fluid. I have never had a bike serviced by a dealer since. If i do it, I know it's done, and my life may depend on something "they "forgot to do. Smile I had to get a torx set of male sockets. the suspension arm at the engine side has two torx bolts.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-04

TORX socket Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORX socket   TORX socket I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 9:46 pm

I had dealer fix scooter after a hit and run put me down. I was in hospital and insurance paid so I thought I might as well have it ready when I healed. When I got it back it had no front reflectors. They said there weren't any on when it came in. I told them I purchased the scooter from them and I hadn't taken them off and asked them if would sell a scooter or bike without something required by law. They reluctantly ordered them and put them on when they came in, never found out what happened to the old ones. Next and last time I took it to them was when they had a sale if you bought a set of tires they would mount them for free. When I got my scooter back they had taken the Honda weights off and put stick on weights on. I did not get my old weights back and I didn't notice right away so I didn't bother to go back to ask for them. (if you look them up they are not cheap) Now the next time I change tires I will have to buy new weights. I will have to buy an assortment ahead of time so I don't have to wait for them  to come in.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-03

TORX socket Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORX socket   TORX socket I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 28, 2014 10:46 pm

model28a wrote:
When I got my scooter back they had taken the Honda weights off and put stick on weights on. I did not get my old weights back and I didn't notice right away so I didn't bother to go back to ask for them. (if you look them up they are not cheap) Now the next time I change tires I will have to buy new weights. I will have to buy an assortment ahead of time so I don't have to wait for them  to come in.

Hey Roger.
Be glad they used stick on weights. Aluminum wheels, whether car, motorcycle, or scooter, should never use squeeze on weights on the visible side of the wheel. They'll leave an ugly scar on the cast wheels.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-04

TORX socket Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORX socket   TORX socket I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 7:57 am

bigbird I'm sure you are right and if I ever wash my rims I'll probably see the damage. I did like how they distributed the weight equity on both sides of the rims. I guess what made me mad was they didn't give my weights back and I paid a good bit for them.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

TORX socket Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORX socket   TORX socket I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 1:10 pm

On wheel weights----Use "Ride On" @ about $15 per wheel each time tire is changed----not only balances wheel and tire WELL but can act as sealant as well. Not too messy when tire is removed from rim---So Ride ON=NO wheel weights.

Most shops do not do real good job of balancing scooter wheels/tires, anyway, especially 13" rear. I recently got over 30,000 miles from front Bridegstone Hoop that was balanced with Ride On.

Weights are considered throw away in shop.

Do own tire work=done right and good exercise.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

TORX socket Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORX socket   TORX socket I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 29, 2014 5:36 pm

Each time i have a new tyre fitted, i take the wheel with tyre to the tyre people and watch them remove the old tyre, clean the rim, fit new tyre and valve and balance the wheel. They always use the stick on weights and i have never had a problem. Smile 
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

TORX socket Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORX socket   TORX socket I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 2:06 am

I'm not a fan of the tire sealants - I think they work simply by increasing the weight of the wheel fairly uniformly, making imperfections smaller in relation to the total weight of the tire. I don't think they distribute the goop where the weight is light. Besides, whenever I think of what an out-of-balance wheel would do, I think the goop would collect where the wheel is already heaviest (like a drum in a washing machine that is out of balance collects more, not less, stuff as in the heavy spot as it spins). But from experience, I know it seems to help people (experience with balance beads, not goop, but I think the principle is the same), I think because of this making the whole wheel heavier thing, but it doesn't help as much as actually balancing the wheel. If you've ridden both, you won't go back to goop and beads.

I also find it interesting that I've never found a two wheel or four wheel OEM that delivers a vehicle with goop or beads in the wheels. I'm sure it's a conspiracy, but... Wink
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

TORX socket Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORX socket   TORX socket I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 7:25 am

Tyre sealant is NOT a substitute for wheel balancing. It's for sealing small punctures!

Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
TORX socket 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

TORX socket Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORX socket   TORX socket I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 8:24 am

And another thread becomes unbalanced and spins out of control!!!  Crying or Very sad 
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

TORX socket Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORX socket   TORX socket I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 9:11 am

What about Dyna Beads, more junk you stuff into your tyres that claims to 'balance' the wheels.  Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

TORX socket Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORX socket   TORX socket I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 6:26 pm

john grinsel wrote:

Looks like somebody used impact wrench on some nuts and bolts.

Rear axle nut---so tight 1/2 drive socket and breaker bar, standing on it will not come off----

My GIVI scooter "Tank bag" fits well----I do not use straps but industrial Velcro to hold it on=works.

End:  Glad I do not have to depend on dealer to get things right!

I have (so far) purchased two used SWings - a 2003 and a 2008. BOTH had bolts that were WAY over-torqued - especially the oil drain plug on the bottom of engine case and the rear axle bolt - so tight that I was worried that some damage may have been done to threads - hard to tell. I do my own maintenance and all bolts come off easily as they are being torqued properly. Suggest that any any of you not using torque wrenches consider doing so.

Like the idea of the GIVI tank bag with Velcro! Any pictures? Do you take it off much or do you typically just leave it on?

Thanks for your feedback John - good luck with your new SWing!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

TORX socket Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORX socket   TORX socket I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 30, 2014 7:27 pm

GIVI Bag=I only use it when I need extra carrying space---it ruins the step thru feature of scooter and must come off at each fuel stop. SilverWing is well balanced and good handling....my Burgman 400 poorly balanced front to rear so bag moved weight forward on long trips==I am cheap and carry WalMart water along and in the bag it went
Back to top Go down
Mudnman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2014-01-16

TORX socket Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORX socket   TORX socket I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 31, 2014 3:11 am

Hah I had to use a breaker bar to get oil drain cap off the 08 I just bought.The varo was over 100 ft lbs.It has new tires on it so bet that's tighter than called for too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

TORX socket Empty
PostSubject: Re: TORX socket   TORX socket I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TORX socket
Page 1 of 1