Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
New Member says hi and thanks! I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 10:31 am

» New to Me Swing
New Member says hi and thanks! I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
New Member says hi and thanks! I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
New Member says hi and thanks! I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New Member says hi and thanks! I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
New Member says hi and thanks! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
New Member says hi and thanks! I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
New Member says hi and thanks! I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
New Member says hi and thanks! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
New Member says hi and thanks! I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New Member says hi and thanks!

Go down 
+5
DickO
billc.
model28a
"Hi Yo"
ScootK
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ScootK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-01-14

New Member says hi and thanks! Empty
PostSubject: New Member says hi and thanks!   New Member says hi and thanks! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 2:02 pm

Fellow Swingers,

Hello from the Pacific NW! lots of great info here, thank you!
Will pick up my wife's new (2002 w 280 miles) from dealer on Thursday. Paid $3600.
I am looking forward to the 35 mile ride home for the maiden voyage to meet my '93
Concours.
Swing's color is black, and I'll be checking prior posts for brake flashers, aux. lights, etc. for better visibility.
Those cagers are dangerous! Especially here, where the main population is in their harvest years, blind in one
eye, and can't see out of the other!
Safe rides for '14.

Scott

Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
New Member says hi and thanks! 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: New Member says hi and thanks!   New Member says hi and thanks! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 2:16 pm

welcome    applause    welcome    A 2002 with 280 miles? Is that correct?
Back to top Go down
ScootK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New Member says hi and thanks!   New Member says hi and thanks! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 2:48 pm

Unbelievable, but true! I just hope the belt is OK. It was indoor/heated storage and started once in a while. The prior owner has LOTS of bikes, and needed to make room for something else.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New Member says hi and thanks!   New Member says hi and thanks! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 3:50 pm

welcome applause welcome 
I would check the date code on the tires and replace if they are to old. Also I think I would replace the drive belt if you plan on riding far and by far I mean more than 10 or 20 miles from home. I get a new belt from my local dealer for around $130 and I think that is not to much to spend for peace of mind. Good luck with your "new" scooter.
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: New Member says hi and thanks!   New Member says hi and thanks! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 4:45 pm

My local Honda dealer will NOT sevice a Honda product over 10 years old. Has anyone ever experienced this with their Honda dealer?
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: New Member says hi and thanks!   New Member says hi and thanks! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 5:39 pm

"billc.",
Sounds rather incredulous that Honda would not work on their own units after ten years. Especially when the latest models (Silver Wings) are, more or less, just like the oldest models. Looks to me like a "money losing" proposition. Still, I guess weirder things have happened.

Anyway,,, to "ScootK",,, Welcome to the forum !! It's the place to be for all things "Silver Wing" !!
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New Member says hi and thanks!   New Member says hi and thanks! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 5:58 pm

billc. wrote:
My local Honda dealer will NOT sevice a Honda product over 10 years old.  Has anyone ever experienced this with their Honda dealer?
Stupidest thing I've ever heard of from a dealer Exclamation  scratch
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: New Member says hi and thanks!   New Member says hi and thanks! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 7:06 pm

billc. wrote:
My local Honda dealer will NOT sevice a Honda product over 10 years old.  Has anyone ever experienced this with their Honda dealer?

Betcha if corporate Honda heard about that things would change quickly
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: New Member says hi and thanks!   New Member says hi and thanks! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 7:58 pm

ScootK,

Welcome to the forum and hope you enjoy it. Since your wife has a 2002 I would suggest checking the screws that keep the front fender on every so often. Just tighten them up when you can. They changed the screws from the 2002 model to a safer product since 'a couple' of 2002 SWings had the screws come loose and the fender dug into the tire. Not to scare you but just check them to see if they are tight every so often. The Swing will take your wife anywhere she wants to go in comfort.

billc,

That is strange about not working on bikes 10 years old. I'm not sure how old the Goldwing is but they have been around a long time.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
ScootK
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New Member says hi and thanks!   New Member says hi and thanks! I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 14, 2014 9:03 pm

Thanks everybody, I appreciate any tech tidbits to keep Kscoot (wife) safe. That is if I let her ride it.
Local Honda shop is happy to work on just about all motorcycle  Hondas.
My first shake out ride is tomorrow or Thursday. I'll let y'all know how it goes!
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2013-11-09

PostSubject: Re: New Member says hi and thanks!   New Member says hi and thanks! I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 5:02 am

Welcome from Seattle. I get over that way quite a bit on my scooter as my brother lives between Silverdale and Poulsbo. He rides a Honda Helix scooter.

New Member says hi and thanks! Wttg
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: New Member says hi and thanks!   New Member says hi and thanks! I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 15, 2014 8:42 am

Welcome, Scott! And congrats on the find too. I agree with the above, you got a good deal on the scoot but check/replace the tires and belt. Better safe than sorry.

As to the 10 year rule; I had a local shop here in Phoenix tell me that H-D dealers and others (Honda included) farm a lot of their work on 10 year old + bikes to the mom-pop shops. Something to do with keeping their techs up to date on new vehicles... No idea how true this is; will have to ask at my local dealer when next I am there.
Back to top Go down
billc.
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
billc.

Number of posts : 189
Registration date : 2010-02-19

PostSubject: Re: New Member says hi and thanks!   New Member says hi and thanks! I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 16, 2014 2:57 pm

My SWing is 2003, is 11 years young this year (2014)! I just wanted to verify if anyone else has/has not experienced the 10 yr. age limit of service from Honda dealers. I would guess most Swings on the forum are much newer than my 2003... thanks billc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Member says hi and thanks!   New Member says hi and thanks! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Member says hi and thanks!
Page 1 of 1