Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Twice damned! I_icon_minitimeby ButlerZoie Today at 4:21 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Twice damned! I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Yesterday at 9:47 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to progreso, and could use some advice
Twice damned! I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Yesterday at 9:27 pm

» LF extended back rest
Twice damned! I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Twice damned! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Twice damned! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Twice damned! I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Twice damned! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Twice damned! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
Twice damned! I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Twice damned!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2013-04-07

Twice damned! Empty
PostSubject: Twice damned!   Twice damned! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 8:13 pm

Not only am I one of those heretical Trike riders on one of those "not German/European Safety Approved" modified abominations, (at least, according to a select few forum members) but now I'm joining the Dark
Side! Laughing Twisted Evil Twisted Evil  

My 155/70R13 75T Hercules Raptis tire will be here Friday. Even more amazing, my local Honda dealer has agreed to mount it for me. They will not mount Darkside tires on 2-wheelers, but have no issues mounting one on my trike.

I was seriously disappointed to find my rear tire resembling a racing slick after only 5,000 miles. Mad 
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Twice damned! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twice damned!   Twice damned! I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 18, 2013 11:01 pm

Gyro could you tell us where you ordered your tire and what the cost with shipping was? Also let us know if there are any problems mounting the tire after you get it. I'm sure you will get a lot better mileage out of your new tire. Good luck, and keep us informed. pirat
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

Twice damned! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twice damned!   Twice damned! I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 1:47 am

Gyro I have 28k kl on my Hercules Raptis tire. 18k kl with my Trigg trike kit .My is good 2/3 rd left on my tire. My 140 70 14 was a bust 1/2 the tire was scalloped 1/4 " deep on one side 10k kl on tire . My 120 80 14 Pure sport looks new after riding 8k kl .
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

Twice damned! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twice damned!   Twice damned! I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 7:23 am

model28a wrote:
Gyro could you tell us where you ordered your tire and what the cost with shipping was? Also let us know if there are any problems mounting the tire after you get it. I'm sure you will get a lot better mileage out of your new tire. Good luck, and keep us informed. pirat
Amazon.com/sold by Direct Buy Tire.

$43.99 + $18.74 UPS shipping.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Twice damned! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twice damned!   Twice damned! I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2013 4:18 pm

Thank you, let us know how it works out.
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

Twice damned! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twice damned!   Twice damned! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 1:02 pm

The tire arrived on Friday, right on Schedule! Smile  My appointment to get it installed is Oct 2.  I'll take a couple of photos when it's mounted.

I thought about tackling removing/re-installing the rear wheel myself, but decided my lack of experience vs the shop fee was a no-brainer.  Maybe next time. tongue
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

Twice damned! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twice damned!   Twice damned! I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 22, 2013 3:58 pm

Here's a close-up of the Hercules Raptis tread, for anyone interested:

Twice damned! DRK0002_zps709fe9a9
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

Twice damned! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twice damned!   Twice damned! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 10:47 am

It's official!  I've now joined the Darkside!  I've been riding on the Hercules Raptis tire since yesterday afternoon. Smile 

My local Honda shop reported absolutely no problems mounting and balancing the Hercules tire. I passed along a tip I read to use extra lubricant on the tire bead. They did say it required about 60 psi to seat the bead. The shop guys said they've had nothing but bad experiences with balance beads, so they only use external lead weights. This tire only needed 1-1/8 oz to balance. The only down side? They zinged me $15 for a new valve stem. Shocked 

Twice damned! DRK0003_zpsf844fdd6
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

Twice damned! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twice damned!   Twice damned! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 2:34 pm

I wondered if the new tire would improve speedometer accuracy on my S'wing, or make it worse. The 155/70r-13 Raptis is supposed to have "almost" the same circumference as the stock S'wing tire. So, I clipped my Rider GPS on the trike and took a test ride:

spd = speedometer reading
gps = speed displayed on a TomTom Rider GPS unit
speed units = mph

spd - 30
gps - 29

spd - 45
gps - 43

spd - 55
gps - 52

spd - 65
gps - 61

That's slightly better than with the stock tire.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Twice damned! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twice damned!   Twice damned! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Thank you for the follow up. Yes $15 is a lot to pay for a new valve stem but it is better to have a new one than to have it fail on the road. Not as dangerous as on two wheels but still no fun to be stuck on the side of the road. Keep us informed on how it holds up compared to the old one.
Back to top Go down

Twice damned! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twice damned!   Twice damned! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 09, 2013 12:14 pm

Thanks so much for the info Gyro. I am definitely pulled towards the darkside every time I get another tire replaced. Next time I'm going to pull the wheel myself and do it. The improved speedo numbers pushed me over the edge!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Twice damned! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Twice damned!   Twice damned! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Twice damned!
Page 1 of 1