Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Dr Pulley's HiT Clutch Installed I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 1:08 pm

» Sinko De Mayo
Dr Pulley's HiT Clutch Installed I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Dr Pulley's HiT Clutch Installed I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» checking the oil
Dr Pulley's HiT Clutch Installed I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Dr Pulley's HiT Clutch Installed I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Dr Pulley's HiT Clutch Installed I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Dr Pulley's HiT Clutch Installed I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Dr Pulley's HiT Clutch Installed I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Dr Pulley's HiT Clutch Installed I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Dr Pulley's HiT Clutch Installed I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Dr Pulley's HiT Clutch Installed

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Dr Pulley's HiT Clutch Installed Empty
PostSubject: Dr Pulley's HiT Clutch Installed   Dr Pulley's HiT Clutch Installed I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 05, 2009 9:56 pm

Paul Wu, from Dr Pulley's parent company, Union Material, (www.unionmaterial.com) sent along the new High Thrust Clutch Kit along with a few Sliding and Roller Weights to try out.

Having been sent via DHL, the package arrived in only three business days. So I had the opportunity to get into the Variator and Clutch and install some of the new goodies over this past holiday weekend.

Replacing the new Clutch Kit is actually easier than changing a drive belt. While the Honda Serv Manual indicated that you need 'special tools' to get the clutch and rear pulley assy off, in fact, all you need to do is to set the parking brake on and zip tie the rear brake lever tight. That'll lock up the rear wheel, Clutch & Driven Pulley assy. At that point all you need do is to remove the center 22 mm (IIRC) nut (40 ft lbs torque) and the whole assy slides off the shaft leaving the clutch-outer (clutch bell) on the shaft.

Then you flip the whole bit over, and remove the six 15 mm (IIRC) bolts holding the clutch assy to the Driven Face of the Driven Pulley. Installing the new HiT Clutch is a simple matter of reversing the above steps.

One curious note is that while the OEM Clutch has 5 Clutch Shoes, the HiT Clutch has only three shoes with the shoe lining size the same as the OEM shoes. However there are also large counter weights as part of the shoes that take up the difference in the (missing) 4th & 5th clutch shoes.

The HiT kit also comes with a whole range of extra shoe springs and two large Torque Spring Washers so that you'll be able to tweak the clutch performance as your riding habit calls for.

That Dr Pulley see fit to enclose the Torque Spring Washers (2mm & 4mm thick) so that the hefty torque spring tension can be increased, suggests to me that an 'inspired' DIYer could come up with similar washers as an alternative to going to a Malossi torque spring.

However, to install the Washers or a new Malossi Spring, you're still going to need a 'special tool' Torque Spring Compressor to get the old spring and snap ring off.

I took the scoot out for a 100 mile test ride, and am extremely impressed with the acceleration. While the operating RPM's seems to have dropped from my previous report (elsewhere of this forum), I really didn't take any notes on this ride as it was the first out with the new goody. Dr Pulley's tag line sez "Explosive Acceleration". I think that's an apt metaphor. Not 4th of July fireworks explosive, mind you, but pretty damn quick. Whiz Bang Fun

On a downside note; about 75 miles into the ride I got a rear tire puncture. I took me about an hour and half of dick-fingered fooling around to find the puncture, buy a gummy worm patch kit from the mini mart and get back on the road. Well, despite that my luck has probably changed, as it wasn't raining while I was laying along side the scoot getting things sorted out --now that's a good thing.

However, now I'll be going to the Dark Side and changing to a Sumitomo tire. That will change my speedo & odo readings, so mpg or road speed/rpm notes I post won't have the same common basis as most of you other riders.

On another note, toward the end of the day I noticed quite a bit of clutch chatter on initial clutch engagement. Reading the material and instruction sheets that came with the clutch, as well as email discussions with Dr Pulley's, very helpful Paul Wu, I'll be needing to get back into the clutch to change the springs --6 extra sets came with the kit-- to sort out the initial clutch-in performance.

More about all that later, and thank again to Paul Wu for his excellent service.

Tim
'03 Silver Wing, Cosmic Jumper
Philadelphia

Never Just a Ride, Always an Adventure

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MikeH

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-05-02

Dr Pulley's HiT Clutch Installed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dr Pulley's HiT Clutch Installed   Dr Pulley's HiT Clutch Installed I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 06, 2009 1:52 am

Thanks for the report Tim. Looking forward to more reports as you collect additional data.
Back to top Go down

Dr Pulley's HiT Clutch Installed
Page 1 of 1