Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
contemplating buying 2005 Swing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 9:12 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
contemplating buying 2005 Swing I_icon_minitimeby landisr Today at 2:15 am

» Drive belt prices
contemplating buying 2005 Swing I_icon_minitimeby landisr Today at 1:28 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
contemplating buying 2005 Swing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:27 am

» New to Me Swing
contemplating buying 2005 Swing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
contemplating buying 2005 Swing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 9:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
contemplating buying 2005 Swing I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
contemplating buying 2005 Swing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
contemplating buying 2005 Swing I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
contemplating buying 2005 Swing I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

contemplating buying 2005 Swing

Go down 
+4
Dimond
sonuvabug
hotwings
cotetoi
8 posters
AuthorMessage
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

contemplating buying 2005 Swing Empty
PostSubject: contemplating buying 2005 Swing   contemplating buying 2005 Swing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 4:15 am

Hi folks, I joined this forum with the intention of getting advice on the Swing. I have found one: a 2005 with 5000 km. My fear is that the bike has been sitting for so long, and parts may have rusted. I can see some rust around the exhaust pipes. I only gave the bike a minimal lookover. I intend to check things out a bit more thoroughly before I hand over the money. Are there any particular areas I should be looking into? This bike has been up for sale for 18 months, and it seems I am the only prospective buyer to come along !!!! I don't buy that; so, what has deterred others from taking it? And what's a fair price in Atlantic Canada? It does have some paint damage to the left plastic from tipping over. I value your opinion. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: contemplating buying 2005 Swing   contemplating buying 2005 Swing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 10:53 am

What is the asking price??? This could be the reason why the bike hasnt been sold! Personally i wouldnt hesitate to buy an 05 with 5000klm on it. Does it run smooth? Has it been stored inside? If it doesnt have any accessories on it (topbox etc) and its in decent shape, i would pay around $3000-$3500 range, especially now with the end in sight for the riding season. You can buy my rust free and mint black 05 swing with 20k on it and accessorized (topbox,givi windshield,cruise,garmin gps,alarm,brakelight wigwag,seat beads,pillion armrests,carbon fiber wrapped underskirt/mirrors,led lighting,digital thermometer,upgraded seat strut,iphone mount,switchable fork mount running lights) for $4000. Im only one province away!Basketball . It isnt officially for sale but i probably wont use it a lot now. I just aquired an 06 Suzuki gsf650 and i like the way it brings out the hooligan in me. Makes me feel young again Laughing Laughing ! My wife just rolls her eyes Laughing .
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: contemplating buying 2005 Swing   contemplating buying 2005 Swing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 1:30 pm

Thank you for the reply ,hotwings. The asking price was 4300. It has no extras, zip. It has some static paint damage on the left panels, looks like driveway spill, but the paint and plastic are dented. It has been outside , I'd say for the best part of its life. I looked in the shed and garage, and there's no room in either to park a bike. I'm hesitating because I don't know what surprises are waiting inside the bike, like mice, etc. I can only do so much in his yard.
I'd come get your bike, it's loaded to the hilt and I'm sure well worth the money, but I'd have to spend a ton to get over and back. This one is offered at 3000. I'm going to make a case for 3000 all-in, title in my hand. I don't know if it will go over well.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: contemplating buying 2005 Swing   contemplating buying 2005 Swing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 7:52 pm

cotetoi wrote:
... snipped ... This one is offered at 3000. I'm going to make a case for 3000 all-in, title in my hand. I don't know if it will go over well.
Not sure what you mean by offering $3,000 "all in". You said that's their asking price which, I think it pretty fair.

It's low mileage which is a good thing. It's been sitting around, perhaps outside, and sounds ignored which is a bad thing.

Does it start? Did you hear it run? Have you been able to take it for a ride?

Whether you do it or not, I'd ask the seller if they'd be prepared to let your motorcycle mechanic inspect it? Their reaction usually speaks volume.

If it were me, I'd check it over with a fine tooth comb. Take a note pad and make a list of everything you find that is not up to spec.

If you find things that will cost you money to bring it up to spec, you can either research what those costs will be or ballpark them. Then make an offer accordingly and explain your number.

If you are convinced it is a decent scoot (no obvious frame damege, bent rims, obvious crash damage etc.) and you have heard it start and run smoothly, then make an offer.

Like my Dad told me, when making an offer as a buyer, you can always go up ... but you rarely can come down.

Good Luck and keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: contemplating buying 2005 Swing   contemplating buying 2005 Swing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 10:15 pm

In California last year 2008 SWings with less than 10000 miles, mint condition, with ABS were going for $4200 to $4400 - so $3000 plus change for a 2005 non-ABS seems about right. I would recommend you hold out for an ABS even if you need to pay more (ABS was about a $1000 option). Have someone EXPERIENCED (you or other) ride it and check the oil cleanliness.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: contemplating buying 2005 Swing   contemplating buying 2005 Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 12:14 am

Hi Folks, I am officially a Swinger. It is a sweet deal. It is the ABS model, 2005 with 5500 km. I got it for $2800 and after taxes it came to $3100. A good scooter friend of mine went with me this morning. We looked it over and took a test ride. Everything checked. I rode it 90 km home; it worked great. No hiccups. Runs real smooth, picks up really good and cruises very smoothly. I am sure some things will need adjusting to suit me, but for now I am delighted with my new-to-me ( almost new ) scooter. Only issue with me is that I find it difficult to get it on the centerstand. Being a short guy and not so strong, I have not been able to do it on my own. If you have any tips for me, I'd appreciate them. For now, I'll just use the sidestand.
Back to top Go down
LN
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2012-08-18

PostSubject: Re: contemplating buying 2005 Swing   contemplating buying 2005 Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 2:27 am

Shorty here,

Left hand on the left handlebar
With right hand grab the left aluminum seat bar thingy.
Right foot on the peg. Now, better have good shoes on ... STAND ON IT and with right hand pull on the aluminum bar. Tadaaaaa !

When taking the bike off, same hands, same places, now pull with right hand ... use brake for smooth landing.

my 2cents

Smile
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: contemplating buying 2005 Swing   contemplating buying 2005 Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 2:45 am

Thnks, LN. I just realised my mistake. I was trying to do it with slippers. No wonder I couldn't put enough pressure on the peg. Will give it a go with proper footwear tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
contemplating buying 2005 Swing 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: contemplating buying 2005 Swing   contemplating buying 2005 Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 3:04 am

Good advice from LN. The key is to push down with your foot. There is a good discussion of this on the search function. Oh, and congratulations on your "new" ride cheers  cheers 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: contemplating buying 2005 Swing   contemplating buying 2005 Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 9:03 am

Might be a good idea to lubricate the centre stand pivot points bud,if it has not been used much there may well be some rusting going on making it harder than normal to work Wink
Back to top Go down
MartynJ
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MartynJ

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2013-03-25

PostSubject: Re: contemplating buying 2005 Swing   contemplating buying 2005 Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 10:19 am

And the best and least costly thing you can do for a bike that maybe has been sitting around a bit - give it an oil change! Congrats on your new ride.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: contemplating buying 2005 Swing   contemplating buying 2005 Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2013 1:20 pm

Thank you all for the great tips. She got a good wash and general clean. I poured a third of a bottle of Seafoam in the gas tank before I drove it home. Now it's time for the oil change. Great welcome from you all; and lots of very useful info in here. I hope to contribute a little in time.
Back to top Go down
Scroller
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Scroller

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2013-05-25

PostSubject: Re: contemplating buying 2005 Swing   contemplating buying 2005 Swing I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 12:50 pm

Good luck with your purchase , Hope you have many happy miles ahead.

Cheers ,

Scroller
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: contemplating buying 2005 Swing   contemplating buying 2005 Swing I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 2:25 pm

Thank you, Scroller. I spied this one on kijiji 2 years ago and again this year. The owner wanted it out of his yard and not have to worry about storage, maintain and look after it. He cannot ride for medical reasons. I got it at a real good price. It is the black version of yours.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: contemplating buying 2005 Swing   contemplating buying 2005 Swing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

contemplating buying 2005 Swing
Page 1 of 1