Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

Welcome to the home for Honda SilverWing and everyone interested. This is a place to ask questions, share, and learn about the SilverWing and its dedicated riders. Please post an introduction when you join as a sign of Courtesy.

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Buffeting - please define?
by Meldrew Today at 18:22

» New Swing owner in South Wales
by phils a winger Today at 17:34

» New possible swing owner
by siataukreg Today at 12:12

» Front Bouncy
by gavinfdavies Today at 07:37

» Introduction
by gavinfdavies Today at 07:01

» 2002 Honda Reflex 250cc ABS
by cliffyk Yesterday at 11:30

» Air Shocks
by Pastor Ron Yesterday at 11:10

» shop Manual
by MadDog Yesterday at 10:45

» Reply to Post is lost
by Easyrider Fri 20 Oct 2017, 15:10

» A bit windy
by steve_h80 Thu 19 Oct 2017, 15:23

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Share | 

Question about rollers

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2479
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Question about rollers   Sun 24 Nov 2013, 21:10

tinman wrote:
Big bird ,the sanding was ever so lightly with  emery cloth .It might be the problem but what about the rpm . At 100 klph some time the rpm is at 4600 and the next time it is 5500 at 100 klph.I was thinking that the sliders might be sticking now and then
I agree with the sticking sliders. I would pull them, clean them and the ramp plate and cavities where the sliders sit with brake cleaner, and reassemble with no lube of any kind in there.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1292
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Question about rollers   Sun 24 Nov 2013, 21:48

Big bird ,I did notice when cleaning the cavities That some of them looked rough in texture and could cause the sliders to stick,where when the stock rollers were not affected by the rough texture that looks like spider webbing in some of the pockets.For less then $100. It might be good to replace The drive face plates and get some peace of mind.Is there an up grade other then the stock drive face out there .I find a lot of the aluminum castings that looks rough and not as it should be IMO.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2479
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Question about rollers   Mon 25 Nov 2013, 00:17

tinman wrote:
Is there an up grade other then the stock drive face out there .I find a lot of the aluminum castings that looks rough and not as it should be IMO.
Not that I'm aware of.
If you think the aluminum cavities of the inner drive face are worn rough, perhaps they could be sandblasted, or just replace it altogether.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Question about rollers   Mon 25 Nov 2013, 01:13

Thanks for the input Big bird. I have to replace the oil seal and O ring come spring time and get new drive clutch so I don't have any down time when the riding come spring time.
Back to top Go down
lowkey
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2013-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Question about rollers   Mon 25 Nov 2013, 17:49

bigbird wrote:

For lowkey, the more you twist the throttle on takeoff, the higher your rpm will start out. If you don't want your engine revving over 2.5k at takeoff, then just roll the throttle on gently. The nice thing about the sliders is that if you want/need great initial acceleration, it's there with the sliders. With the stock rollers, you get a lot of belt slap and vibration along with moderate acceleration.
Thank you Mr bigbird.  That was helpful.
Back to top Go down
RickV
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Question about rollers   Mon 25 Nov 2013, 19:19

Tinman,

The Spring of 2012 I replaced my stock rollers with 26g sliders and also replaced both ramp plates because of groves on the face and also a rough surface in the roller slots - this was with about 14k on my 2002 [much appreciated the tech expertise supplied by Bigbird during the install]. In addition, some of the rollers had groves around the entire surface and there was significant belt dust and such behind the variator. If you are interested, there are some pics in my album of the rollers, roller slots and the drive face.

Also, I have not experienced any issues with the "V" light coming on except when it his 16k and my rpm at 70mph has dropped about 400rpm.

Not beating the dead horse here - just some more info.

Rick V
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Question about rollers   Mon 25 Nov 2013, 22:47

Rick V

Thank's for your input, I looked at your photos and I have similar ware on the clutch plates and in the roller pockets . I will replace every thing in the spring.I have no heat in my small garage and it's freezing right now.Sad
Back to top Go down
lalee
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2013-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Question about rollers   Mon 25 Nov 2013, 23:43

Do I have to have an opinion on this? I think I will depend on the pros in this forum when the time comes that my rollers and v-belt fail. I have 10,500 miles on my Swing.

Lots of good information shared by very helpful forum members on here, for sure.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Lalee   Tue 26 Nov 2013, 08:46

The only thing offensive is the picture of your G/W. Ha Ha Just kidding.
I thought about buying one for a long time but I believe I have gotten rid of the urge for now.
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Question about rollers   Sat 30 Nov 2013, 12:00

Tinman, one thing I'll point out - if you haven't followed the book procedure for installing the variator bolt, buy a new bolt and follow the procedure (not torquing it properly, particularly over-torquing, will deform the bolt and damage it - it's a VERY special bolt [you can look up Honda's patent on it if you don't believe me] that does away with the need for a lock washer, but the downside is it can be damaged by tightening as hard as you can).  I also highly recommend using a variator holder tool of some type while tightening by hand and not using an impact tool - so your torque really is what you expect it to be.  I also wonder if Tinman might have pinched the belt while tightening, although I would have expected it to fall off by now if that was it.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Question about rollers   Sat 30 Nov 2013, 12:41

jmaslak I routinely remove and inspect my drive system at every oil change , and I oil the threads like my service manual call's for and I have a variator tool and tork wrench. My problem started when I installed Dr pully 24 gram sliders and new belt . The pocket where the sliders go, some have a rough surface and I think the sliders stick's in some of the pockets. My Honda dealer want's $186.20 for the movable face,face drive oil seal and O ring. Ordering on line from Caliber - Pro Caliber .Com ,the parts will cost $ 88.19  plus shipping and taxes,at a cost saving Of about $70.00 . I will order new parts on line next week pending a confirmed price,and for $22.00 xtra I will get the new rollers.My dealer wants $44.00 for the same roller.{ just incase the sliders continue to stick.
Back to top Go down

Question about rollers
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2