Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» I said Farewell...
20k Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 2:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
20k Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 4:05 am

» LF extended back rest
20k Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 1:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
20k Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 9:56 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
20k Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:28 am

» Drive belt prices
20k Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
20k Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
20k Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
20k Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:01 am

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
20k Maintenance I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

20k Maintenance

Go down 
+6
masscoot
tarmacburner2
WingMan02
Old Limey
tankyuong
yahooie
10 posters
AuthorMessage
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2012-08-02

20k Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: 20k Maintenance   20k Maintenance I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 11:27 am

Hey All,

I am approaching 20k miles on my 2009 swing and would appreciate any feedback on some things that I should be getting ready to replace or any maintenance suggestions. The belt was supposedly changed out at around 15k miles when I put in my Dr. Pulley sliders but I have my doubts on whether they changed it or not because my V Belt light keeps coming on even after I re-set it. I also have changed over to a K&M permanent filter. I regularly change the oil and filter every 4k miles and the final drive oil every other oil change. All using synthetic oil.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

20k Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20k Maintenance   20k Maintenance I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 11:43 am

Just reset it
Back to top Go down
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

20k Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20k Maintenance   20k Maintenance I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 12:05 pm

Thanks, I have re-set it about a dozen times. Still keeps coming back which is leading me to believe that they didnt change the belt. I dont know if there is a sensor that lights the V-belt when it gets to a certain diameter or not but that would make sense. Otherwise, I dont know why the light keeps coming back on after I reset it several times.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

20k Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20k Maintenance   20k Maintenance I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 3:27 pm

I think Tarmac Burner2 has the same problem with the "V" light, he just ignores it. You change the oil every 4K mls ? what on earth for, modern oils especially synthetic will certainly last the normal service interval of 8kmls. I am coming up to 32K and only do oil changes at the normal service intervals. at present i use semi- synthetic and have never had any problems, i change the final drive oil at 10k.My advice would be to change the spark plugs to Iridium(if you haven't already) i put Iridium plugs in at 8k and am still getting 64mpg( that's imperial gallons). I changed the drive belt at 16k and will change it again at 32k If you do the work yourself you know for sure it's been done.Smile I also fitted the Dr Pulley sliders at 24k.
Back to top Go down
yahooie
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

20k Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20k Maintenance   20k Maintenance I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 3:42 pm

I am ignoring it but it makes me think that they either didnt replace the belt that I paid for or that there is an underlying problem. I was told or read somewhere that the recommended change was 4k miles and 8k for the filter. I change both at that interval. I live in hot and dusty south florida and I rely on my bike for 90% of my transportation. I would rather change it out and keep clean oil in it than change it at the last minute. I have been using a full synthetic motorcycle oil. What kind of oil do you use? Trying to sort through all of the postings here on the oil makes my head spin. I would rather use sythetic car oil if someone would just confirm that its ok and give me a brand and weight that they use.
Back to top Go down
WingMan02
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
WingMan02

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2012-01-19

20k Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20k Maintenance   20k Maintenance I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 02, 2013 6:32 pm

yahooie wrote:
Hey All,

I am approaching 20k miles on my 2009 swing and would appreciate any feedback on some things that I should be getting ready to replace or any maintenance suggestions.  The belt was supposedly changed out at around 15k miles when I put in my Dr. Pulley sliders but I have my doubts on whether they changed it or not because my V Belt light keeps coming on even after I re-set it.  I also have changed over to a K&M permanent filter.  I regularly change the oil and filter every 4k miles and the final drive oil every other oil change.  All using synthetic oil.  

What weight sliders are you using? I have heard that the lighter ones can cause the V belt light to come on.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

20k Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20k Maintenance   20k Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 12:39 pm

Yahooie, My information is that any engine is not "Run in" until at least 6k, so synthetic oil should NOT be used to allow the internals to match each other. I use Semi- sythnetic, as i still hold that Fully synthetic is actually a load of chemicals and not oil at all. Having said that i have been told that fully syn does give the best protection and improves fuel consumption. In England i ride in all seasons from just below freezing in winter to the present 90degrees we are having now. As regards oil it is generally agreed you should use Motorcycle oil, rather than Motor oil.Smile 
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

20k Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20k Maintenance   20k Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 2:00 pm

Old Limey wrote:
I think Tarmac Burner2 has the same problem with the "V" light, he just ignores it.

Old Limey is correct. V light comes on regularly, especially when running a distance at motorway speeds. I actually changed the belt about 2000 miles ago and that light still comes on. I have put it down to the fact that I have a JCosta variator fitted and sometimes the scooter computer gets readings that are 'outside of the envelope'
Hold the two buttons on the instrument panel down, switch on the ignition and wait for the light to flash and then go out. That resets it until the next time.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

20k Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20k Maintenance   20k Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 8:11 pm

It could be coincidence but I had the V-light issue also with the Dr Pulley sliders.  My light would come on quite regularly especially during high RPM riding.  What I found was that when I put the belt on I did not seat the belt all that well in the groove, it would "pinch" between the two surfaces.  

The correction for me was while re-installing the belt after replacement or just a clean and inspect, I use my socket wrench to move the belt back and forth and slowly tighten the bolt until the belt is completely seated in the groove then torque it to spec.  This has corrected the problem for me and no more V-light except at 16k intervals.
Back to top Go down
Magoo Triker
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Magoo Triker

Number of posts : 145
Registration date : 2013-08-03

20k Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20k Maintenance   20k Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 10:46 pm

Hard to ignore a light on when it comes on and your ready to go or running down the road at high speeds....

Magoo
Back to top Go down
jmaslak
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2012-06-14

20k Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20k Maintenance   20k Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 12:50 pm

As for installing the belt: If you squeeze the belt together (between the pullies) once in a while while tightening, you can get the belt to go pretty far down the rear pulleys and thus have it loose up front to tighten it. That's important when installing it.

Unless you are using really extreme Dr. Pulley sliders or using a J-Costa variator (I know little about these) or aftermarket clutch pieces, you shouldn't see the V light unless something is wrong. I use 26 gram, ride up mountains, and use plenty of throttle - no problem. If the V light is on, it's one of the following:

1. It comes on every 16,000 miles or so automatically. Just reset.

2. Something is out of spec (wear). Belt, pulley (front or back), clutch, sliders, ramp plates. You'll need to find it.

3. Things were installed wrong.

4. Wrong belt is being used.

5. Something is preventing pieces from sliding smoothly. Maybe a ridged variator or gunk somewhere it shouldn't be.

6. Clutch is slipping.

7. Very, very, very unlikely: computer, wiring, sensor problems

What it isn't is normal. Some of the tolerances on these parts are pretty small.
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-27

20k Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20k Maintenance   20k Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 2:45 pm

When I noticed my V light coming on in the past, it usually would not trigger until riding at a steady 60 mph. If, at 60 mph, the engine was running at too many RPMs, the light would come on.

It could run at too many RPMs for a few reasons, but usually because either the belt or variator faces are worn, or the weights are sticking. I suggest you read the tutorials on this site, and do the work personally. It really is not difficult and it allows you to clean everything thoroughly, and ensures the work is actually done.

See my post earlier this year about worn variator faces.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t6338-variator-wear
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

20k Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20k Maintenance   20k Maintenance I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 2:59 pm

Based on 300,000 rubber band drive scooter miles since 1990-----return every thing in drive line to stock OEM parts! When belt changed keep the old one as spare. Want to go faster, get a motorcycle

oil---WalMart house brand 10-40W---cheap,works--scooters/my 2 Miatas/BMW K bikes/ 2 Honda CB750 Nighthawk/Old type Kawasaki Concours/TMAX/Silver wing/Burgman 400' (2),, ETC ETC--500,000 miles,=no engine trouble----my change routine is 2,000 miles or 60 days whatever comes first---filter every other change-

Rear end oil---every year or whatever Honda chart says---engine oil

Honda builds good stuff---don't worry----ride 50,000 or more miles a year---just easier to trade...and maybe cheaper
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

20k Maintenance Empty
PostSubject: Re: 20k Maintenance   20k Maintenance I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

20k Maintenance
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Maintenance, Tips and Hints-
Jump to: