Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:41 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 6:35 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 5:15 am

» LF extended back rest
Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt Empty
PostSubject: Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt   Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 9:28 am

Last night, halfway through my highway commute home and traveling at around 72mph on I-85 northbound by ATL airport the handling and feel of my S'wing abruptly changed. I pulled on to the shoulder and did a walk-around of the bike and kicked the tires, and noticed that my rear was completely flat due to a 1/4" puncture directly in the center tread of the tire. However, in contrast to the 2 other flats I have experienced with my Swing, the tire did not deform and the tire bead did not separate from the rim, which would have been disastrous at that speed (I had it happen previously going 10-15mph and lost total control of the bike in those instances).

I was able to slowly ride the bike on the shoulder to the next exit (thankfully only 200 feet in front of me) pull in to a Denny's parking lot, plug the tire with 2 sticky plugs, fill it with my little Tire Slime branded air compressor and ride the bike the remaining 20 miles on back roads through parts of Atlanta I have never, and hope to never visit again.

This was a Dunlop SX-01 rear tire, and I have read previously (I think on this forum) that the Dunlop is the widest, stiffest and with the hardest compound of all of the various tires available for the S'wing. I have to credit the design of this tire for saving my butt, because I don't know if my previous IRC or Michelin Pilot would have had such gentle road manners at 72mph while completely devoid of tire pressure. 

BTW I had the tire filled with Ride-On tire sealant. I guess the hole was just too big to seal that leak. 

I have a Michelin Pure Power SC already mounted on my backup set of wheels in my garage, but I am going to seriously consider installing another dunlop next time I am due for a tire.

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt   Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 3:06 pm

That could have been nasty, glad you were fine.  A good reminder for us all to inspect our tyres often.

Maybe the Ride-On helped slow down the air escaping, did it get sprayed around on the inside of the mud guard?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

PostSubject: Re: Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt   Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 3:49 pm

Yes, it did. I think the "farting" of the ride-on was part of what alerted me to the problem. The question is what caused the puncture?. I had ridden past a shredded tire on the highway maybe 2 miles back, but I thought I had avoided all of the debris. There was no shrapnel in the tire as far as I could see, but I'll investigate it tonight after I swap wheels and dismount the tire.

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt   Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 12:13 am

I too am interested in what you found.
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

PostSubject: Re: Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt   Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 9:19 am

It was almost 100 degrees in my garage last night. I'm going to wait until the weekend to dismount the tire.

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
moonshiner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
moonshiner

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2011-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt   Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 11:57 pm

glad you are ok , it could of been really bad , I have always had good luck with Dunlop , they make some tough tires, I feel safe when running Dunlop's .......
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt   Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 6:10 am

You know, there used to be a requirement for Police bikes in US, that tires would stay on rim if flattened in motion---probably good idea--Harley had it and thus got a lot of police deals.
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

PostSubject: Re: Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt   Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 9:03 am

Dismounted the tire on Sunday morning and didn't find a cause. There was just a hole in the tire, which I have to assume was caused by road debris. Since there is plenty of tread left on that tire I'm going to have it professionally repaired and keep it as a backup.
Yesterday I installed the rear wheel with Michelin Power Pure SC that I had mounted a few months ago. I also have an unmounted front Power Pure SC that I'm going to swap on to my second front wheel next weekend. Since it's supposed to rain all week in Atlanta I don't expect to miss too much riding time. 

Jesse in Atlanta
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt   Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stiff dunlop tire saved my butt
Page 1 of 1