Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
The lights are on but she won't start :-( I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Yesterday at 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
The lights are on but she won't start :-( I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
The lights are on but she won't start :-( I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
The lights are on but she won't start :-( I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
The lights are on but she won't start :-( I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
The lights are on but she won't start :-( I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
The lights are on but she won't start :-( I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
The lights are on but she won't start :-( I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
The lights are on but she won't start :-( I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
The lights are on but she won't start :-( I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

The lights are on but she won't start :-(

Go down 
+5
DennisB
RArch
Colin B
MikeO
Haakon
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Haakon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Haakon

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2013-05-23

The lights are on but she won't start :-( Empty
PostSubject: The lights are on but she won't start :-(   The lights are on but she won't start :-( I_icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 2:14 am

Hi All, Trying to figure out why my Silverwing won't start. I just purchased the wing and was driving her(Mrs. Doubtfire) back from the bay area to Monterey when 15 miles from home I pulled over to check my gear and the bike wouldn't start again.

I checked the usual suspects as this is my 4th bike. Side stand was up, left break lever was pressed, throttle was not twisted. The bike doesn't even turn over so my guess is it could be the battery or perhaps a faulty switch at either the side stand or the starter. Thankfully I have road side so Mrs. Doubtfire will be headed to my mech in the morning.

Thanks in advance for any pointers on what I should be looking for.

Haakon
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: The lights are on but she won't start :-(   The lights are on but she won't start :-( I_icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 3:06 am

Have you inadvertantly flicked the Kill Switch?
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: The lights are on but she won't start :-(   The lights are on but she won't start :-( I_icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 3:36 am

Squeeze the left brake lever VERY hard! Listen for a second click.

Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

PostSubject: Re: The lights are on but she won't start :-(   The lights are on but she won't start :-( I_icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 8:12 am

When you switch on the ignition you should hear the fuel pump, if not it could be the kill switch/side stand circuit thats prevent it.

Like has been said, you need to squeeze that left brake lever till you hear the second click of the micro switch, theres two one the first is only for the brake light.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: The lights are on but she won't start :-(   The lights are on but she won't start :-( I_icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 10:27 am

Try placing your scooter on the center stand and then bring your side stand (kick/jiffy stand) UP and give it a try.

I see you all ready tried the side stand. My mistake.

Try checking your main starter relay "FUSE A" located under the rear-left side cover.

https://www.silverwing600.com/t1010-left-rear-cover-removal-pictorial-main-fuse-access
Back to top Go down
micbusathens
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
micbusathens

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2012-04-05

PostSubject: Re: The lights are on but she won't start :-(   The lights are on but she won't start :-( I_icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 2:19 pm

Can be a faulty alarm too...if there's any
Back to top Go down
Gyro
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Gyro

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2013-04-07

PostSubject: Re: The lights are on but she won't start :-(   The lights are on but she won't start :-( I_icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 3:11 pm

MikeO wrote:
Have you inadvertantly flicked the Kill Switch?

Been there, done that... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Haakon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Haakon

PostSubject: Re: The lights are on but she won't start :-(   The lights are on but she won't start :-( I_icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 6:11 pm

Colin B wrote:
Squeeze the left brake lever VERY hard! Listen for a second click.

This was my problem, I was being to soft on the brake squeeze and wasn't initiating the second switch. There was a lot of wind noise yesterday coupled with my hypothermia and frustration. This morning I was able to hear and be patient, she fired up just fine and I drove her all over town and started it right up over 5 times.

Problem is solved but I'm still going to put a new Shorai battery in it tomorrow as well as have my mech change the oil and give her a good inspection.
Attachments
The lights are on but she won't start :-( AttachmentDoubt_0.jpg
Mrs. Doubtfire
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(164 Kb) Downloaded 13 times
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: The lights are on but she won't start :-(   The lights are on but she won't start :-( I_icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 6:34 pm

I feel your pain. I did the exact same thing when i got my swing home! Couldnt get it to start, called the previous owner, he was baffled. Went online, discovered this site along with the answer here. Was relieved after finding out the "problem". At least i was in my own garage when i first tried starting it.
Back to top Go down
Microtouch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2012-08-24

PostSubject: Re: The lights are on but she won't start :-(   The lights are on but she won't start :-( I_icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 7:59 pm

Something else to consider... The kill switch contacts can corrode over time and prevent it from starting. This happened to me once so I squirted a little contact cleaner in there and all was good. I did the same with the turn signal switch as a preventive procedure.
Back to top Go down
http://brunnerorgans.com
Haakon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Haakon

PostSubject: Re: The lights are on but she won't start :-(   The lights are on but she won't start :-( I_icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 11:51 pm

Microtouch wrote:
Something else to consider... The kill switch contacts can corrode over time and prevent it from starting. This happened to me once so I squirted a little contact cleaner in there and all was good. I did the same with the turn signal switch as a preventive procedure.

What brand is the contact cleaner an where do I squirt it?

Haakon
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

PostSubject: Re: The lights are on but she won't start :-(   The lights are on but she won't start :-( I_icon_minitimeFri May 24, 2013 2:49 am

Haakon wrote:
This was my problem, I was being to soft on the brake squeeze

Wink Glad it was so simple.

I had the same "fault" the day I collected mine from the dealer. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The lights are on but she won't start :-(   The lights are on but she won't start :-( I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The lights are on but she won't start :-(
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: