Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
motorcycle alarm I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Drive belt prices
motorcycle alarm I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 8:28 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
motorcycle alarm I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
motorcycle alarm I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:16 pm

» New to Me Swing
motorcycle alarm I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
motorcycle alarm I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
motorcycle alarm I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
motorcycle alarm I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
motorcycle alarm I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
motorcycle alarm I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

motorcycle alarm

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

motorcycle alarm Empty
PostSubject: motorcycle alarm   motorcycle alarm I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 9:05 pm

I got this cheap mc alarm on ebay for $7.51 and installed it on the inside of the access door under the seat, left side. Then ran the power directly to the nearby battery. It is a vibration activated alarm. It is quite sensitive, pushing the bike off its double stand will activate it as well as a light bump anywhere on the bike. The alarm is fairly loud and goes thru different sounds once activated. I think it would get someones attention across a parking lot. The alarm came with a keyfob to activate/deactivate. A bonus was i just switched insurance companies and one of the questions was "does the bike have an alarm", so a little discount applied, not sure the amount!motorcycle alarm Img_1414

The keyfob shows a start button but i think its just a generic keyfob for alarms.
motorcycle alarm Img_1415
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

motorcycle alarm Empty
PostSubject: Re: motorcycle alarm   motorcycle alarm I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Hotwings.

If you have the tools do an experiment.

Take out the underseat bulb if you have it in so your readings aren't tainted.

Test the draw on the bike with and without the alarm on.

With nothing aftermarket to drain the battery, you should have a draw of about 5-7ma for the Swing clock, etc.

Then test the draw with the alarm on.
Most car alarms draw about 25ma, and most bike alarms are just stripped down car alarms.

ma= milliamps per hour.

With this figure you can tell how long your bike can stay untouched before it will not start.

As an example, 30 ma=300 milliamps in 10 hours or 3 amps in 100 hours.

The stock YTZ12 battery is an 11 amp hour battery, which usually won't start the bike below 8 amps.

This means that you can leave the bike for 100hrs=4 days+4hrs before the power drain may be too much to start the bike.

Cheap motorcycle alarms are often little different than car alarms in terms of their draw, that is to say they will draw 25ma or more.

A good bike alarm will draw 4-10ma.

You have a very cost effective motorcycle alarm. Just be aware of its effects on your power consumption so you can avoid a dead bike.

Dan

Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

motorcycle alarm Empty
PostSubject: Re: motorcycle alarm   motorcycle alarm I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 6:00 am

dspevack this is interesting. Where would i test, directly at the battery? It would be nice to know how much it draws. However i dont worry about it because i have a battery tender permanently on the bike and plug it in every time (almost every time)i come back from a ride because i never know when im riding next. Also i rarely turn the alarm on as i always park inside my locked garage. I installed the alarm more as a novelty rather than a practicality thing. All this being said i was going for a ride with my brother (98 virago) a while back and went to start the swing, all i got was the click click of a dead battery. I discovered the battery tender wasnt plugged in for a week or so Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

motorcycle alarm Empty
PostSubject: Re: motorcycle alarm   motorcycle alarm I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 4:34 pm

Yes you test directly at the battery. If you have a multimeter you can take the pos.(+) wire off the battery and put the test leads between the battery post and the pos.wire. Set the multimeter on amps. As Dan said test first with nothing on, then test with the alarm on. If you don't have a multimeter you can find a cheap one here. http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-digital-multimeter-92020.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

motorcycle alarm Empty
PostSubject: Re: motorcycle alarm   motorcycle alarm I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

motorcycle alarm
Page 1 of 1