Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
Significant gain in mpg's - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Significant gain in mpg's - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Significant gain in mpg's - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Significant gain in mpg's - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Significant gain in mpg's - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Significant gain in mpg's - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Significant gain in mpg's - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Significant gain in mpg's - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Significant gain in mpg's - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Significant gain in mpg's - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Significant gain in mpg's

Go down 
+13
thomphoto
MikeO
tankyuong
Cosmic_Jumper
DennisB
Hammy
Bernardo
Ghost_rider
ronjr009
honda_silver
JeffR
dickie
masscoot
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Significant gain in mpg's - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2009 10:58 am

First topic message reminder :

I know there are already tons of threads discussing this but I thought it throw it out there. I remember someone posted they were getting close to 60mpg and thought wow that would be great but how realistic is that? As of yesterday, I got 57 mpg and a range of 177 miles before I chickened out (flashing last bar) and filled the tank with 3.1 gals.

Ok its only been two tankfuls, but my mpgs have soared since installing my K&N air filter and my new spark plugs. The first tankful netted 52mpg. Before this I would average 46-50mpg consistantly. Both rides were at rural road speeds (40-50 mph) and some highway (60-70mph).

I can't wait to install the Dr. Pulley Sliders and compare (+/-) the benefits or pitfalls.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 12:05 pm

Reviewing Jeff's pictorial ( https://www.silverwing600.com/pictorials-how-to-perform-maintenance-f21/variator-and-belt-pictorial-t23.htm#49 ), here is a list of tools that would be required:

Metric hex key
- Size is not documented

Metric socket
- 8 MM
- 17 MM

Honda Variator Tool
-or-
Impact Wrench
-or-
Home Depot/Lowe's Build your own temporary with slotted metal pieces, bolts, nuts and washers (to prevent falling throught the slots)

If you do not have an impact wrench, then you will need a good leverage bar to break the nut loose and tighten. When I tightened with a torque wrench, the torque wrench stopped right after the metal of the variator faces were contacted.

Just in case here are some store listings

Sears
2415 Sagamore Parkway South, Lafayette IN
600 Canal Road, Lafayette IN

Harbor Freight (40 miles away)
2943 South Washington Street, Kokomo, IN
Back to top Go down
scooterbob
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
scooterbob

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2009-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 1:09 pm

Hammy wrote:
Well, I think I found out one reason my mileage dropped -- my drive belt snapped at 11300 miles and I am now stranded in Lafayette, IN! Are there any members who know how I can get a new belt around here or if there's any members around this part of IN who knows how to work on the bike?

HELP!!!

Hammy,

A friend of mine named "Wild Bill Purdue" who owns a Burgman lives in Lafayette, IN. I just got off the phone with him. He said "Hey, give him my number and I will see if I can help in some way."

He does not have a belt or the proper tools, but he does live there and has some connections.

WildBillPurdue cell# 1-765-418-2870

He is like a brother to me and is a very helpfull person.

Hope everything turns out ok.

bob

Last edited by scooterbob on Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To correct my poor spelling.)
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 1:27 pm

You guys are wonderful! I'm going to go buy an impact wrench. Is there any particular size that I should buy and/or torque setting I should have?
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 1:42 pm

Hammy wrote:
Well, I think I found out one reason my mileage dropped -- my drive belt snapped at 11300 miles and I am now stranded in Lafayette, IN! Are there any members who know how I can get a new belt around here or if there's any members around this part of IN who knows how to work on the bike?

HELP!!!

Hammy

I've got a used, but good, belt and some tools.

PM'd you.

Tim
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 2:33 pm

Hammy wrote:
I'm going to go buy an impact wrench. Is there any particular size that I should buy and/or torque setting I should have?

For the 17MM (variator), I believe the 1/2 may be beneficial for the belt change and future SWing work (24MM rear wheel).

The impact features, settings may depend how how much you are willing to spend.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 2:41 pm

Bob,

Thanks for the info on Bill. I was going to get it to Hammy but wanted to call Bill first. I was trying to get the belt shipped first though and Hammy will get my belt on Tuesday morning. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 8:22 am

Hammy,

How you doing this morning? From what I understand, HELP in on it's way or may have gotten to you already. Please let us know your status and how's things are going.
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 9:12 am

Hi Dennis,

I am doing a lot better now after talking to Bill and Jeff and Tim and yourself -- I am right now still staying at the MTN member's (David) house and yesterday we picked up a 17mm socket. He's got an impact wrench and all the other tools necessary. My bike remains outside of the Honda dealershp and I'm going to call them in an hour just to see if they have a belt available (which I doubt), and then plead with them to allow me to leave it parked there until tomorrow, when I will receive Jeff's used belt. David will then help me get the belt back on using Jeff's pictorial (GREAT pictorial and definitely confidence-inspiring) and hopefully there won't be any other damage, and I can be on my way back home. I'm about 750 miles from home, so with luck (if all goes well anyway), I might actually make it home around 1am on Wednesday morning.

I'll let y'all know what happens tomorrow.

Thanks everyone!
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 11:44 am

Hammy... is that not greeat that you have a friend there to help you. Try planning all of your break downs (there won't be many) close to a friend. Good luck in finishing your repair and the trip home. Be careful with that late night leg.
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 12:55 pm

Oh, this was a member I found in the area from the Motorcycle Travel Network but of course by now we're good friends! I think I've kinda hijacked this thread and I do apologize cos now it's got little to do with mpg anymore! So sorry... but I do think having another belt on will do wonders for my mpg, which right now is stuck at a big fat ZERO. Significant gain in mpg's - Page 2 Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Significant gain in mpg's   Significant gain in mpg's - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Significant gain in mpg's
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2