Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
ABS vs Non-ABS I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:58 am

» noise under load
ABS vs Non-ABS I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
ABS vs Non-ABS I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
ABS vs Non-ABS I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
ABS vs Non-ABS I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
ABS vs Non-ABS I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
ABS vs Non-ABS I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
ABS vs Non-ABS I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
ABS vs Non-ABS I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
ABS vs Non-ABS I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

ABS vs Non-ABS

Go down 
+7
Dimond
GHM-PM
honda_silver
rodenbach
Nowun
Silverwing28681
XLS
11 posters
AuthorMessage
XLS
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2012-12-31

ABS vs Non-ABS Empty
PostSubject: ABS vs Non-ABS   ABS vs Non-ABS I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 3:06 pm

Newbie question:

Is there a substantial difference on braking performance, safety etc...?

I'm looking at two SW's that are for sale, one has it the other doesn't.

Hopefully the members can share thoughts and experiences.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Silverwing28681
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Silverwing28681

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2012-08-16

ABS vs Non-ABS Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS vs Non-ABS   ABS vs Non-ABS I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 3:37 pm

How much is the price difference ? If it is not to much I would get the ABS, If they are about the same with the miles and condition

Back to top Go down
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2012-10-13

ABS vs Non-ABS Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS vs Non-ABS   ABS vs Non-ABS I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 3:54 pm

The only thing ABS does is stop the wheels from locking when braking heavily. There is no increase in stopping power. If the road is wet, icy, oily, gravely etc, it is easier to lock the wheels when braking. ABS will momentarily release the brake and allow the wheel to keep turning before re-applying it.

It's a bonus if you can afford it - like SW28681 said.

We used to do it manually (without the aid of electronics) in the old days - it was called cadence braking.
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2012-08-30

ABS vs Non-ABS Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS vs Non-ABS   ABS vs Non-ABS I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 4:43 pm

ABS is the reason I bought a 600 SW. Prior, I had a test ride on the 400cc version and liked the scoot a lot, but beeing an old geezer that already broke two vertebrae, I decided this little extra safety feature was more than welcome.

I.m.h.o. ABS should be mandatory on all two-wheelers: unlike a car where you can release the brakes once you start skidding, motorbikes tend to hit the deck before you are able to react.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

ABS vs Non-ABS Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS vs Non-ABS   ABS vs Non-ABS I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 6:44 pm

XLS wrote:

Quit a number of times the ABS pulsed when I did not expect it and it was my only warning.

For example my wife and I were riding together, we were coming to a "Y" intersection where you either go straight or slow angle right turn which we were going to take at speed. It was a very hot day with no moisture with no detectable road surface problems, but when I applied some brake pressure the ABS started pulsing non-stop. I decided to switch to stopping straight. It took me even longer to stop ( even past stop sign ). When I put my foot down the rocks just slide away ... It was very tricky getting a footing. After I was stopped I found a long black streak for the entire length that I braked ... it was like braking on marbles ( which I would not recommend ). The was no warning sign or anything which may have per-warned me.

The ABS saved me and my wife and I consider it worth any cost.

I would not want to have any motorcycle without ABS ( just like my cars ).

Last edited by honda_silver on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2568
Registration date : 2012-05-17

ABS vs Non-ABS Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS vs Non-ABS   ABS vs Non-ABS I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 7:59 pm

I also agree go with ABS if you can swing (pun intended) it. It uses nothing UNLESS you need it and you never know when that might be, see the post above. It was a selling point for me on my Swing; that and the fuel injection!!!
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

ABS vs Non-ABS Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS vs Non-ABS   ABS vs Non-ABS I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 12:06 pm

XLS wrote:
Newbie question:

Mother Honda only sells (now) the SWing with ABS. I got rid of my non-ABS SWing to get one with ABS - now I apply the brakes HARD to scrub off speed (when going straight and as appropriate) rather than under-applying my brakes as I often did in the past with non-ABS (as I had great fear of going down due to inappropriate braking, i.e., low side or high side crash). For new SWing riders, it is even more important to have ABS brakes; however, ABS is not a cure-all for braking as you need to know the when, how, where, and why of braking (and practice it) and not think that ABS is going to be your sole savior. It is a bit harder (in my state) to find ABS - but not that much more in money than non-ABS - but it is worth the wait. If you can't find an ABS model - then go for what is available and trade up when the opportunity presents itself.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

ABS vs Non-ABS Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS vs Non-ABS   ABS vs Non-ABS I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 5:43 pm

ABS----wet/slippery/heavy traffic, etc can save your bacon---Great substitue for low skill level. But you have to learn to use it! Soon to be mandatory in EU countries.

Ride in variety of conditions very useful. great aide in keeping bike upright.Drop PLASTIC SCOOTER and can be very expensive.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
ABS vs Non-ABS 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

ABS vs Non-ABS Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS vs Non-ABS   ABS vs Non-ABS I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 2:13 pm

An ABS equipped bike would probably have better re-sale value.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

ABS vs Non-ABS Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS vs Non-ABS   ABS vs Non-ABS I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 1:13 am

I had ABS on my GL1800 Goldwing and loved it for operating on gravel roads. Takes the worry out of stopping in a hurry on gravel and sandy dirt roads. While it's true that a skilled rider can do better without ABS there are times when even the best rider doesn't have much time to react. Rounding a curve and finding a deer in front of you makes ABS pay off big time. I don't have it on my SW but would have liked it. The only downside is it does add a good bit of complication to the brake system.
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

ABS vs Non-ABS Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS vs Non-ABS   ABS vs Non-ABS I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 12:32 pm

rodenbach wrote:
I.m.h.o. ABS should be mandatory on all two-wheelers: unlike a car where you can release the brakes once you start skidding, motorbikes tend to hit the deck before you are able to react.

That's why I'm going with a Victory when I can afford a bike payment again. The Cross Country, Cross Country Tour and Vision all have ABS standard and are MUCH less expensive than an ABS -equipped Goldwing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ABS vs Non-ABS Empty
PostSubject: Re: ABS vs Non-ABS   ABS vs Non-ABS I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ABS vs Non-ABS
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: