Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Drive belt prices
First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:12 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

First ride of the new year

Go down 
+4
Waspie
paul.delo451
Nowun
rodenbach
8 posters
AuthorMessage
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2012-08-30

First ride of the new year Empty
PostSubject: First ride of the new year   First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 10:05 am

The weather has been quite dreadfull the last couple of weeks, with heavy rain an floodings all over the place. Since a few days it has stopped raining. Instead we 'enjoy' grey weather, with fairly high temps for the time of year.

Today I decided to neglect the dullness and got on board my SW for the first time this year. I rode to Eperlecques and wanted to visit the Blockhaus .

This is the only place in France where during WW2 both V1 and V2 rockets were launched for London. On arrival the museum was closed...

The weather was dry, temp around 6°C (43°F) and I even had a 'full' half a minute of sunshine in Eperlecques. What more can one desire for?
Back to top Go down
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

Number of posts : 288
Registration date : 2012-10-13

PostSubject: Re: First ride of the new year   First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 12:55 pm

Went back to work last Wednesday and rode every day, total about 130 miles. Washed and polished yesterday and and a short (30m) round trip to Havant today. It was pretty foggy this morning, but temp around 9C.

I'm just glad the rain has stopped for a while.
Back to top Go down
paul.delo451
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2012-09-30

PostSubject: Re: First ride of the new year   First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2013 2:06 pm

I've been using mine since 2nd Jan now that the rain has stopped for a while. I even tempted my wife on the back for a ride out and she was really impressed with the comfort for a pillion - so it all systems go when the weather really improves.
Back to top Go down
http://www.coventryselfstorage.co.uk
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: First ride of the new year   First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 6:10 am

With all this free standing water about, is there any possibility of water getting syphoned into the wing, either engine or petrol tank?

There are a couple of breather tubes protruding under the underside panels.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2012-09-04

PostSubject: Re: First ride of the new year   First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 9:22 am

If you're riding round Portland, shouldn't you be on the cliff top rather than the beach - or has there been an unusually high spring tide we didn't hear about here on the mainland? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: First ride of the new year   First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 10:32 am

Atrick wrote:
If you're riding round Portland, shouldn't you be on the cliff top rather than the beach - or has there been an unusually high spring tide we didn't hear about here on the mainland? Laughing

Strangely there IS a road off the island!!!! If the water gets up to my front door, the rest of Dorset needs to worry. I am 278 feet above sea level!!!!! affraid

It's more the Warmwell/Winfrith area's that as prone to flooding. One of my work mates has just had an £1k estimate for water being induced into the engine and causing damage.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

PostSubject: Re: First ride of the new year   First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 11:09 am

Had a nice fast (IAM observed) ride from Avon Country Park to the café at Sarum airfield yesterday morning then back on the narrow cross-country lanes via Wilton. A comfortable 10°C & no rain - wonderful!

Since getting the Swing, this 50-mile ride was the longest I've done on wet roads (some still a bit flooded) & I was very impressed. It felt totally planted & never slipped off the line once - unlike my previous SH300i which had a tendency to step out at times if ridden fast.

Let's hope more good days are on their way! cheers
Back to top Go down
Microtouch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2012-08-24

PostSubject: Re: First ride of the new year   First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 11:28 am

I rode to work this morning. Temps were 41f here in Lancaster Pa.. May be able to ride all week. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://brunnerorgans.com
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

PostSubject: Re: First ride of the new year   First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 11:51 am

@Atrick:
the stabilty of the SW is remarkable for a 'scooter'. I've hit the 'ton' on several occasions and the bike is steady as a rock at that speed.
The only negative characteristic I've come to know is the sensitivity to (heavy) side winds. I guess the large surface of tupperware is responsible for it.
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

PostSubject: Re: First ride of the new year   First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 11:55 am

Microtouch: Lancaster UK today: 48.2ºF (9ºC) - positively balmy compared to where you are...!!!
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

PostSubject: Re: First ride of the new year   First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 12:01 pm

Rodenbach: your tonne (62mph) or our ton (161kph)? Smile
Back to top Go down
rodenbach
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
rodenbach

PostSubject: Re: First ride of the new year   First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 12:17 pm

scratch the only 'ton' I know is 100 MPH...

(100 kph is everyday stuff on the SWing: even on B-roads one has to be careful not to go faster...)
Back to top Go down
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

PostSubject: Re: First ride of the new year   First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 5:25 pm

@Atrick
My last observed ride was with clutch and gears just before I got the Wing. How does your observer feel about doing the advanced on a scoot? I'm meeting my man again soon, now I've settled down with the Wing.
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

PostSubject: Re: First ride of the new year   First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 2:58 am

No problem (now) with my local group as a few members have maxi-scooters, indeed my first observer has a Burgman 650!

However this acceptance wasn't always the case. Twelve years ago my local group wouldn't let me join as they only allowed motorbikes (I had a Yamaha Majesty) and IAM HQ wouldn't allow me to do my test for the same reason. IAM HQ did finally agree to make an "exception" after a heated exchange of letters between us but I declined since I (not them) had to find a group prepared to accept me. A few months later I was contacted by Exeter Group who were happy to take anyone on two wheels but by then I'd resigned my membership in disgust after 20years as a car member. Evil or Very Mad

Fortunately things have moved on and we're now in a more enlightened age but I still note a few turned up noses - 'bout time these dyed-in-the-wool bike riders got over it! Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

PostSubject: Re: First ride of the new year   First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2013 10:41 am

Although nothing was said at a recent ride out, and the leader was very chatty I did detect a little aloofness from the others. I'm going out on an observed ride on Saturday, let you know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Aussiexxx
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Aussiexxx

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-01-09

PostSubject: Re: First ride of the new year   First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 11:06 am

I belong to the local IAM group and had no problem allowing me to join them. Passed the Advanced test and join them on occassions on their ride outs. Their comments usually run in the following lines "I didn't realise these scoots could go so fast" I have no problem keeping up with their BMW's. One guy on a Bike Safe Course stuck somt gaffer tape over his Honda decal on his tank and wrote BMW on the tape. I get a lot of ribbing about not riding a proper bike but they have to realise that a Maxi Scooter has a lot going for it, especially when touring.
Back to top Go down
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

PostSubject: Re: First ride of the new year   First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 10, 2013 3:50 pm

I'll soon find out - Saturday 1000.
Back to top Go down
Nowun
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Nowun

PostSubject: Re: First ride of the new year   First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 5:02 pm

Well, that went well. My observer had never had a close-up look at a big scoot and was fascinated as to how it would perform - so we went a-riding in torrential rain.

The acceleration away from the traffic lights impressed him, as did the manoeuvrability 'threading the needle' on roundabouts - left him behind a couple of times.

We stopped for coffee (at a deserted bikers cafe on the A32) and after, made our way home (still raining), pausing to do a few figure 8s in the car park. His only adverse comment - watch the speed!
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: First ride of the new year   First ride of the new year I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 7:10 pm

As to the question above about water. I've never had any problems riding my previous SW in rain. I forded a couple of creeks with it riding in the woods two years ago with the water just up to the underside without a problem. That crossing was a bit deeper than I thought and I was a bit concerned that the belt might wet but there wasn't any problem then or later.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First ride of the new year   First ride of the new year I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First ride of the new year
Page 1 of 1