Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 9:09 am

» Drive belt prices
Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» LF extended back rest
Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» I said Farewell...
Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Changing Bikes

Go down 
+10
john grinsel
Meldrew
KurtPerthWA
CathyN
honda_silver
masscoot
bikerboy
tarmacburner2
Waspie
MikeO
14 posters
AuthorMessage
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 5:43 am

As many of you know I'm moving back to the UK very shortly.
I went into all the business of importing my Silverwing and was gearing-up to do the business but have now decided to sell it over here, thus saving the hassle of changing speedometers and so on, and buying another in the UK.
It just so happens that my good friend and riding companion Laurie, Tamjay of this forum, has decided to sell her Silverwing so guess what? I'm buying hers!

It's a year younger than mine, the same colour, most of the same add-ons and has very few miles on the clock.

I think Laurie's already ordered a replacement but I won't steal her thunder by telling you what it is; suffice it to say it's another maxi and one she feels better able to handle - I know she's had a go on one.

She's kindly said she'll keep the Silverwing wrapped up in her garage until I can collect it.

It certainly is one less thing I have to worry about - the move is proving difficult to say the least.
I shall be 'in' my new flat during the second week in December and take the next step along the Road of Life. Smile
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 6:08 am

Excellent news Mike.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 6:43 am

Don't forget to remove all your add-ons.

Is the scooter market bouyant over there or are you going to have to take a hit on the sale price?

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 7:11 am

Thanks, Doug; I really couldn't face all the paperwork although I don't suppose it's as complicated as it seems.

Laurie's Wing has a DennisB GPS mount, Honda topbox, wind-deflectors and Airflow screen so I'm sorted there.
I shall put back the standard reservoir lid and transfer my MotorcycleLarry one with the RAM mount but leave the Admore light bar on as it's definitely illegal in the UK although I haven't been stopped for it; I've seen another, non-modulated one which I might get instead.
I'll be ordeing a Perfect Connector for that.

What with one thing and another I didn't get around to mounting the spot lights so will take them with me and put them on the 'new' bike.

I'll also leave the 12-volt socket on the LH cubby lid as it was a straight-forward task to fit and I may do it slightly differently.
The Starcom unit will have to have a power feed under the seat but again, I should be able to do that.

I need to consider what to do about my backrest and have wondered about a Biker's Friend roll bag instead of a more permanent device. I'll give it some thought. Opinions are welcome, too.

http://www.bikersfriend.com/pages/saddlebag.htm

I'm not sure about the Scooter Market here although the Belgians seem more geared up for such things. I expect I'll have to let mine go cheaper than I'd like but I've done okay on the car front so it'll be swings and roundabouts.

Last edited by MikeO on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 7:31 am

MikeO wrote:
so it'll be swings and roundabouts.

Love the play on words there Mike.

Intentional?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 7:32 am

No, unfortunately, but I noticed it as I typed, Doug. Smile
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 7:51 am

Are you sure the Admore bar is illegal in the UK? My MOT tester sad that the rule about the blinking only applies to the OE lights and the he (maybe not others ) classifies the Admore as an accessory and therefore not part of the rules and regs. I have Dennis's connector so I can always dis-connect the bar for MOT purposes !
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 7:55 am

That's an interesting thought - thanks!

Friends riding behind me have commented on the effectiveness of the lights, including the indicator part, so I suppose I could just stick a strip of gaffer-tape over the centre part for the MOT if the stop-light wasn't acceptable.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 5:57 pm

Does the Admore light alternate between red and amber when the indicator is turned on? If so then it is illegal in UK as the changing colour is interpreted as flashing. Red flashing lights are restricted to emergency vehicles.
You maybe able to wire it up so that it is just a brake light and leave the indicator wires uncoupled.

The relevant bit here
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/regulation/13/made

If someone would like to read the whole document they can do so, if it is raining outside you might as well do something useful!

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 6:28 pm

Thanks for that - yes, it does.
I shall have to do some more thinking.
Back to top Go down
masscoot
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
masscoot

Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 9:17 pm

Good luck Mike on the move!
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 9:35 pm

MikeO wrote:
I need to consider what to do about my backrest and have wondered about a Biker's Friend roll bag instead of a more permanent device. I'll give it some thought. Opinions are welcome, too.

If you can locate a replacement seat ... replace the seat with the Utopia backrest ... and sell the replacement seat after you switch on your newer SWing.

I would think you should be able to purchase and sell the seat (if in good condition) for around the same prices.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 11:46 pm

Mike, didn't realize you were moving back to the UK. Hope everything goes smoothly for you. Good Luck.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 3:27 am

He had to Cathy.

Too much Belgian Chocolate and Stella. He will eventually get used to bangers and mash, fish and chips and warm ale and Marmite.

I hear Stella's father is still looking for him.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 6:06 am

Thank you for your good wishes.

I wondered about swapping the seats and will look into it properly - my 'logistics' head is working overtime at the moment!

I shall miss Belgium very much - it's peaceful and orderly where we are and as I've said before I love the flatness of West Flanders, the ability to see for miles and the vast sky.

It wouldn't be practical for me to stay here on my own, though, and I shall be cosy in my new flat in Salisbury......and nearer friends and family in terms of travelling time.
Armed with my Senior Rail Card (discount rail travel in the UK) I travelled over on Eurostar last week (Eurostar isn't covered by the card, of course) and enjoyed the journey very much. London Waterloo is only 90 minutes from Salisbury by train so I'll easily be able to travel to the Smoke for concerts, theatre, exhibitions and so on....for less than £30 - good value, I think.

The move has forced me to down-size. I've accumulated so much stuff, much of which is surplus to requirements now, and it'll save anyone having to do it when I'm gorn!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 6:32 am

If you already have a Senior Rail Card you may as well get your application in for a Wiltshire Bus Pass too, before some faceless Whitehall mandarin suggests it's costing the country too much money and bus passes are stopped. Neutral
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 6:44 am

It's in the envelope on the dining-room table - I'll post it today!
Thanks for the tip, though.
I bought an Oyster Card on Eurostar - it may not reduce the fares much but it saves queuing for tickets. Smile
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 9:31 am

You are doing the right thing by not going thru the various registration hassles and trying to make a non-complying bike comply-----think dip to left on low beam, etc.

I spent 40 years out side of US moving from Asia to
Europe to US to Asia----modern times getting bikes to comply expensive pain in rear. Just get another bike. I would hope now in EU easier-----want complicated mess, try Japan.....but can be done.

Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 10:48 am

Thanks, John.

Funnily enough, when I imported my UK X9 to Belgium I didn't have to change the headlight as it dipped straight ahead, not to right or left.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 2:32 pm

John Grinsel, the EU is all about more rules not less and each country still has it's own rules and regs for vehicles, for example France has a power limit on bikes and you have to get a certificate of compliance from the manufacturer in French and of course get your bike modified. As you say it is probably simpler to sell up and buy in the new domicile (not necessarily cheaper tho')
Back to top Go down
txtrkdrvr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
txtrkdrvr

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2012-02-07

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 5:07 pm

I'm curious, would a dark side tyre install pass MOT in the UK?
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 10:58 pm

'Ere we go again!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 5:41 am

txtrkdrvr wrote:

The US v UK attitude to car tyres on scooters has been discussed argued about and done to death on here many times before.

p.s. glad you spelled tyre correctly. Smile
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 6:21 am

txtrkdrvr wrote:

Simple answer is No, totally illegal. In fact the MOT tester would probably take you outside and beat you to a pulp with it.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 4:54 pm

Regarding the Cerificate of Compliance:

I had to get one although the UK V5 is one officially. All I did was phone the Piaggio agent (who covers Holland and Belgium) and he sent one by post - no inspection.
My partner had to take his BMw to Antwerp, have it inspected and change the whole headlight unit.
Fortunately, he didn't get round to selling the old one so will have it changed back in the UK.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 1:10 am

Hey Mike,

Congrats on your move and wish you the best. It's good you were able to get another bike too instead of doing all that paperwork. Do you still have your English accent or do you sound like a foreigner? lol
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 4:26 am

Thanks, Jeff.

I'm just about to advertise my Silverwing - I hope it goes quickly as the Euro to Pound exchange rate is quite favourable at the moment.

I haven't lost my English accent but will have to be careful as my Flemish 'pleases' and 'thank-yous' roll off the tongue rather readily and I get strange looks in English supermarkets when I go over.
I assume that's the reason I get strange looks!
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 6:00 am

Mike, there are quite a few bits on ebay at the moment from a 2010 Silverwing. So you maybe able to pick up some bits for your new Silverwing if you need them.
This is a link to the seller,
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-FJS-600-Silverwing-2010-Rear-Light-5000-Miles-Only-/271095294004?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item3f1e89e834

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 6:04 am

Thank you very much - I'll have a look.
Back to top Go down
Tamjay
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tamjay

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-06-10

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 5:41 am

I've only just seen this topic on Mike's move back to the UK, so I'm a bit late in updating you all !!!

I decided to sell the SWing with great regret as I just love that bike! But - I found it increasingly difficult to put it onto the centre stand as it was too heavy for me, I'm afraid. I used to have to find a strong guy to help - not many of those around where I live!!

I'm so pleased that Mike decided to buy it - at least I know it's going to a good home and will be cared for.

I've bought a Piaggio X10 which is a 350cc and quite a bit lighter than the SWing. The first thing I did in the showroom was to put it up on its centre stand - so easy, I was amazed!! I haven't collected it yet, I'll be doing that on Monday. But what with the appalling weather we've had here (very cold and a bit icey here and there) and having some minor surgery done, I've had to postpone picking it up. I'm looking forward to it now though.

Mike hasn't collected my SWing yet, but he's probably very busy sorting out his new home and the weather could be a factor for him too.

I hope you all won't mind if I pop in here now and again. I'll let you know how the new bike is going - provided that I can get a decent ride on it that is!!

Laurie
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 6:25 am

Hello Laurie,

You pop in to this forum whenever you want.

Enjoy the new scooter when you get the chance.

Cheers,
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 11:13 am

Hi Laurie,

I looked up the Piaggio X10 350. Looks like a nice bike. Glad to here you are still riding. Enjoy your new ride and stay safe. Pop in anytime and when you can post a picture of your new ride. Happy Holidays! santa

Cathy

Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Changing Bikes 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 15, 2012 12:17 pm

Laurie, it's good to hear that you will continue riding and continue posting on this site. Enjoy your new ride.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Changing Bikes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changing Bikes   Changing Bikes I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Changing Bikes
Page 1 of 1