Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
How to stop punctures on buggy tyres I_icon_minitimeby David Watts Yesterday at 4:56 pm

» LF extended back rest
How to stop punctures on buggy tyres I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
How to stop punctures on buggy tyres I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
How to stop punctures on buggy tyres I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
How to stop punctures on buggy tyres I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
How to stop punctures on buggy tyres I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
How to stop punctures on buggy tyres I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
How to stop punctures on buggy tyres I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
How to stop punctures on buggy tyres I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
How to stop punctures on buggy tyres I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

How to stop punctures on buggy tyres

Go down 
+4
john grinsel
"Hi Yo"
KurtPerthWA
wingnprayer
8 posters
AuthorMessage
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-06-27

How to stop punctures on buggy tyres Empty
PostSubject: How to stop punctures on buggy tyres   How to stop punctures on buggy tyres I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 3:39 am

I know this isn't SW related, but assumed it would be ok here in General Chat.

A few years ago we picked up an off-road buggy on eBay for my son. He's had a lot of fun with it, but it hasn't all been plain sailing.

The main issue is our buggy keeps developing punctures. We use it on my parents farm where there are some flint stone fragments scattered around and the odd piece of stray metal in the soil. None of this is bad enough to make gaping big holes in the buggy tyres, but instead the odd 1cm slice or something the size of a nail hole. To date we,ve managed to repair every hole in our tubeless tyres, but obviously we're fighting a losing battle.

Can anyone recommend a tyre sealant that's effective for this kind of thing? I believe standard sealants work by centrifugal force as the vehicle travels at speed. Our buggy stops and starts quite a lot and only gets up to 30 mph over reasonably short distances.

Here's a video to show you the tyres, the environment, and the way it's used: http://vimeo.com/11004986

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1709
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: How to stop punctures on buggy tyres   How to stop punctures on buggy tyres I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 4:46 am

I don't know for one, but I dont ride the swing in that situation too often, mainly on blacktop, but lots of sand here with chunks of sandstone and even some chunks of limestone, and never had a puncture. Maybe you should defect over here to Oz and your sons tyres could last longer, but he will need to stay out of the spinifex. Its like wire with a point.

Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
How to stop punctures on buggy tyres 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: How to stop punctures on buggy tyres   How to stop punctures on buggy tyres I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 7:31 am

I have no personal experience, but have read of people using Slime. Their ads say it is used in the Baja races.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3295
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: How to stop punctures on buggy tyres   How to stop punctures on buggy tyres I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 7:46 am

Try "Ride On" good bike shops have it. Not cheap. Work well for me.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: How to stop punctures on buggy tyres   How to stop punctures on buggy tyres I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 3:30 pm

I have used Ultraseal on my John Deere tractor tires. There are a lot things that could puncture my tires on my property. I have not had any flats after adding the Ultraseal.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/G64511/GEMPLERS-Ultraseal-Tire-Sealant-Commercial-grade-1-gallon
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: How to stop punctures on buggy tyres   How to stop punctures on buggy tyres I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 4:05 pm

'UltraSeal' has rebadged and now goes under the trade name of 'PunctureSafe'.

(In the UK at least!!)

It is good stuff though. I once had 'Slime' in a tyre/tire and still managed a puncture. If I had my old favourite 'PunctureSafe' in it the size of the foreign body would have been no problem.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: How to stop punctures on buggy tyres   How to stop punctures on buggy tyres I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2012 7:08 pm

Puncture Seal is apparently a different recipe from Ultraseal to meet E.U. rules !
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: How to stop punctures on buggy tyres   How to stop punctures on buggy tyres I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 7:01 am

bikerboy wrote:
Puncture Seal is apparently a different recipe from Ultraseal to meet E.U. rules !

Just had a mooch around the WWW and your quite correct.

It seams that UltraSeal is the US product with its own formulae, and PunctureSafe is another franchise, UK based. Both differing formulae with identical properties!!!!!

I love the internet! Smile
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3789
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: How to stop punctures on buggy tyres   How to stop punctures on buggy tyres I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 9:48 am

I seem to recall there was some legal wranging over the 'Ultraseal' name, resulting in the British Ultraseal being renamed Puncturesafe and the colour changing from pink to blue. (I stand to be corrected, though)

I use Puncturesafe.
Back to top Go down
wingnprayer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
wingnprayer

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-06-27

PostSubject: Re: How to stop punctures on buggy tyres   How to stop punctures on buggy tyres I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 12:15 pm

Has anyone tried either of these two which seem specifically designed for offroad vehicles?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OKO-Tyre-puncture-repair-sealant-for-ATV-and-off-road-vechicles-/320805126198?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Wheels_tyre_Trims_Trims_ET&hash=item4ab179c036

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PREVENTAFLAT-1LTR-RIDE-ON-TRACTOR-ATV-GOLF-TYRE-SEALANT-/130743706278?pt=UK_Home_Garden_GardenPowerTools_CA&hash=item1e70eea2a6
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: How to stop punctures on buggy tyres   How to stop punctures on buggy tyres I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 1:28 pm

MikeO wrote:
I seem to recall there was some legal wranging over the 'Ultraseal' name, resulting in the British Ultraseal being renamed Puncturesafe and the colour changing from pink to blue. (I stand to be corrected, though)

I use Puncturesafe.

From what I can extract from the WWW Mike, it was all about franchising.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3789
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: How to stop punctures on buggy tyres   How to stop punctures on buggy tyres I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 2:26 pm

Thanks, Doug.
My memory fades. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: How to stop punctures on buggy tyres   How to stop punctures on buggy tyres I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 3:06 pm

MikeO wrote:
Thanks, Doug.
My memory fades. Embarassed

Fades Mike!!

Mine has faded, that is why I have to use the net as my back up memory!! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to stop punctures on buggy tyres   How to stop punctures on buggy tyres I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to stop punctures on buggy tyres
Page 1 of 1