Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
which new goodies?? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 4:19 pm

» New to Me Swing
which new goodies?? I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Today at 3:47 am

» I said Farewell...
which new goodies?? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 8:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
which new goodies?? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 10:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
which new goodies?? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:28 pm

» Drive belt prices
which new goodies?? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:28 pm

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
which new goodies?? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
which new goodies?? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
which new goodies?? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
which new goodies?? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

which new goodies??

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

which new goodies?? Empty
PostSubject: which new goodies??   which new goodies?? I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 4:08 am

Ok, I have the bike, a wind screen, a topcase, and top case luggage rack. Now I need some advise on what new goodie I should focus on next.

I tend to be more utilitarian- than bling-oriented (I never did get into putting a lot of chrome on my Harley) so I would like to know what you all think are the most useful or most comfort-oriented upgrades. I think I will wait until my warranty expires before I tackle any performance upgrades like a variator, clutch, or power commander. The GPS idea has peaked my interest but I would want it mainly for the speedometer effect and ability to track my trips. I have also thought about leg deflectors, new thicker handlebar grips, and a seat upgrade or cushion.

Any and all ideas are welcome. If you could have just one upgrade, what would it be.
Back to top Go down
Janice
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Janice

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-05-11

PostSubject: Re: which new goodies??   which new goodies?? I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 10:38 am

Hi RobinC.
I've had my 2004 since March of last year. It was a dealer demo with about less than 1,000 kilometers on it (approx 500 miles), and I now have close to 14,000 on it. It came with no upgrades, and I haven't added anything. So far it has been adequate as is, although at times more storage would have been nice. Other than what you have added, the only thing I have been contemplating are heated hand grips. They would thicken the grip - my husband got himself a set for his Meanstreak and finds the increased size of the grip ( as well as the heat in our late spring) makes his ride more enjoyable
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: which new goodies??   which new goodies?? I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 1:48 pm

I might check into the heated grips, those do sound tempting. I'll take my bike in next week and leave it over our vacation and they will put the new Givi top case on. I'm also going to ask about foot pegs for the front so I can vary my leg position. I really like my bike the way it is also. So far I mostly just take day trips. I'm hoping that will change this summer....and I may consider the 12vt plug.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: which new goodies??   which new goodies?? I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 3:01 pm

Janice wrote:
Other than what you have added, the only thing I have been contemplating are heated hand grips. They would thicken the grip - my husband got himself a set for his Meanstreak and finds the increased size of the grip ( as well as the heat in our late spring) makes his ride more enjoyable

I went the route of the "Grip Puppies" ( http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=GPSMALL&Category_Code=grips ).

For the hands I am planning Gerber Heat Liner gloves $79.95 which will plug into my Powerlet Heated Liner 100W ( http://www.powerletproducts.com/product/mens-proform-heated-jacket-liners/85 ).

Upgrade options are subjective per person, it depends on each person's priorities.

I broke my upgrades into categories and within each category is the order that I applied them. Is there a certain category you are leaning towards?

1) Usability
Givi E96/TB19/E52

2) Visibility
3M Solas tape
StingerZ
LEDs (w/Backoff WigWag)
Knight Rider Sequential LED
Givi E52 Admore Lighting

3) Safety
Apexcone HIDs
Stebel Nautilus Horn

4) Comfort
a) normal
Alaskan
Leather
Wrist Rests
Clearview w/vent

b) long distance
Grip
Puppies
Airhawk
Utopia backrest
Manic Salamander bar end weights

5) Performance/MPG
K&N air
Hyperpro spring
NGK Iridium plugs
Dynojet Power Commander III USB
Dark-Side Sumitomo Tire
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: which new goodies??   which new goodies?? I_icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2009 10:47 pm

RobinC,

See the thread on after market exhaust - https://www.silverwing600.com/silver-wing-topics-f3/after-market-exhaust-t524.htm#3724

Bill (honda_silver) is right: Upgrade options are subjective per person, it depends on each person's priorities.

Dan (dspevack) has taken the upgrades to the extreme (in my opinion) although, that worked for him for his style of riding.

We left our bikes stock for quite some time. I did not fall victim to the upgrade to keep up model until I'd I asked multiple folks about how they used their upgrades and what they liked and disliked about them. You also have to take your type and style of riding into consideration. I'm cheap and will not spend $ on something I do not expect to use very much. I think you should make modifications and upgrades based on your needs first.

The next upgrade we plan to make to our bikes - Adding the Compact Stebel Nautilus horn. The horn that comes on the bikes stock is pitiful.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com

PostSubject: Re: which new goodies??   which new goodies?? I_icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2009 7:38 am

I've taken care of the screen. Next will be to buy something nice for my bum. I'm looking at a Day-Long saddle.

Once I'm comfortable AND hurricane-free I'll work toward a motorcycle cruise control.

The primary purpose of the bike is long-distance commuting. I don't need "touring" stuff at this point.

Like jdeereanton I'm trying to avoid the "get everything" mentality. I did every mod I ever head of to my poor old New Beetle diesel and eventually ruined the poor thing and cost myself a fortune in repairs.

Eventually:

1. Better horn. But the Stebel air horn seems like overkill to me. Electric car horns can be plenty loud and impressive, and they'd be easier to mount.

2. Performance innards....but only as the stock stuff wears out. My goal here will be to get a little stronger and "edgier" bike without sacrificing fuel economy. It sounds like the J Costa raises cruising revs a little, and thus sacrifices fuel economy. (Despite the manufacturer's usual claims.) So I'm leaning toward the Dr. Pulley stuff: Sliders and HiT clutch. I like that the HiT clutch is user-adjustable for "bite". And if the sliders end up reducing friction in the system they can conceivably help LOWER revs at cruise, as well as provide quicker response when acceleration is called for. I'd also install the kevlar drive belt.

3. Better tires, obviously. I'm too much of a novice to know whether the Hoops are good, bad or indifferent. But I trust the opinions of folks who say the kind of suck. I'll probably go for the Pirellis.

4. Progressive-rate fork springs.

From there.....who knows? Cleaning out a space in the garage to put the bike at night would be a nice mod.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: which new goodies??   which new goodies?? I_icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2009 2:01 am

Funny about cleaning out a space. Mine just fits it a small space in the bay with the grandkids toys. So everytime they get a wagon or tricycle out grandma is saying, "watch grandma's bike" I need to clean a few things out!!!!
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: which new goodies??   which new goodies?? I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 5:37 am

Probably the most under rated upgrade until you actually experience it, is the hyperpro front springs, mainly because you don't visually see what they do for you. However they substantially reduce nose dive on the bike during braking, and reduce the shock you feel with potholes, and you don't void the bike's warranty by adding them.

Dan
Back to top Go down
MikeH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MikeH

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-05-03

PostSubject: Re: which new goodies??   which new goodies?? I_icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2009 5:49 am

What Dan says is true. The scoot was my first bike, so I didn't really know what to expect. It took me riding it for a year or two before I realized how soft the suspension was. The nosedive really is quite pronounced on a stock S'Wing. Just notice how far it dives when you bring it off the center stand. It does the same thing whenever you brake. It does the same things whenever you power into a curve. Many have stated that installing the Hyperpros is like getting a new bike. It is hard to realize until you experience it, but it is an accurate statement. For me personally, if I were starting over with a stock S'Wing, the fork springs would be the second thing I changed, right after the windscreen.

I hear what you're saying about the saddle Mickey. But you can get a lot of improvement with an Alaska Leather sheepskin butt pad and a piece of memory foam underneath it. Or even with Whit's saddle farkle. IMO money spent of the front suspension is some of the best money you will spend on your scoot.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: which new goodies?? Hyperpros?   which new goodies?? I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 3:32 am

I appreciate all of the suggestions and advice. I am interested in the Hyperpro springs. Is that something I can change myself?
Back to top Go down
MikeH
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MikeH

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2009-05-03

PostSubject: Re: which new goodies??   which new goodies?? I_icon_minitimeWed May 27, 2009 4:26 am

Robin,
You can do it yourself with basic mechanical skills. You do need an impact
wrench. Here is an earlier post I made that gives some references to
installation instructions.

http://silverwing600.forumotion.com/general-chat-f12/i-love-my-new-silverwing-now-t506-15.htm

Also, I heard at least one positive report over on the yahoo
forum from a rider than installed a thicker spacer which pre-loaded the springs
and gave a little stiffer ride, at the expense of a little bit of travel. It is
an inexpensive way to stiffen up the front end for folks that don’t want to buy
the Hyperpros. Here is a link to that post.

http://silverwing600.forumotion.com/general-chat-f12/i-love-my-new-silverwing-now-t506-15.htm#3916

At the time I installed my Hyperpros, the dealer told me they charge $200 to replace the fork seals. He figured it would be the same, maybe just a little more to installed the springs, because it is essentially the same job. For a $200 savings, it is definitely worth doing yourself. You do need another pair of hands to hold the forks for the operations that require the impact wrench.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: which new goodies??   which new goodies?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

which new goodies??
Page 1 of 1