Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 11:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 11:43 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 11:41 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 11:35 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Today at 11:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 10:15 am

» LF extended back rest
Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Today at 1:54 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 10:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 2:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Suggestions for improving passenger comfort?

Go down 
+6
buddy19520
john grinsel
dspevack
Darkeswinger
honda_silver
cjuzda
10 posters
AuthorMessage
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-05-16

Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? Empty
PostSubject: Suggestions for improving passenger comfort?   Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 7:10 pm

My wife has a disk problem in her back. I have a 2006 SWing. Normally I set the rear suspension to 4. When riding in the city we run into lots of bumps, sunken manhole covers. etc. I thought of just setting the suspension to 1 but I'm worried about bottoming out. (our combined weight is around 300lbs (200 for me 100 for her). Any other options for making the ride more comfortable for her (Not a problem for me)

Thanks,

Chris
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for improving passenger comfort?   Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 7:47 pm

cjuzda wrote:
I thought of just setting the suspension to 1 but I'm worried about bottoming out. (our combined weight is around 300lbs (200 for me 100 for her). Any other options for making the ride more comfortable for her (Not a problem for me)

https://www.silverwing600.com/t4904-need-info-on-pvc-spacer-for-rear-shocks#45820
Back to top Go down
Darkeswinger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Darkeswinger

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for improving passenger comfort?   Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 7:50 pm

Baileys & coffee works well. My wife and i are 350lbs. total on rear shock 1 setting. we've never bottomed out
Back to top Go down
Darkeswinger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Darkeswinger

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for improving passenger comfort?   Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 7:53 pm

I usually say "bump" into our helmet to helmet comm, to let her know to brace herself.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for improving passenger comfort?   Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 8:37 pm

You can buy any of several cushions available or have her sew her own cushion to the size and shape of her preference using couch foam.
Having her do her own cushion avoids any personal image issues/discussions/arguements, although at 100 lbs she must be a tiny girl.
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for improving passenger comfort?   Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 10:05 pm

Thanks for the responses, I was thinking that the Airhawk small cushion might help. The problem isn't fatigue or vibration, just the jarring. Do you think the Airhawk or Airhawk II would help?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for improving passenger comfort?   Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 11:38 pm

sitting over rear wheel=shock to spine. Simple solution, she becomes part of the riding team, carrying some weight on foot pegs, letting the legs take some of the shock

I think most miserable for passenger, the fact that designers have them jacked way up in th air. Have to look something up will post more.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for improving passenger comfort?   Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 11:47 pm

Adding, GIVI does have passenger back rest, used with the right combination rack=works. I had one.

GIVI boxes also have back rest pad---I have--caused passenger to lean back too far--not safest arrangement

Often just simple towel on seat can make butt feel better, beaded seat cover?------I am 73, lower back/hips destroyed.....I find at the 400 mile mark, 2 aspirin work.

Idea is moving contact points around can ease disk/back pain.

Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for improving passenger comfort?   Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 4:31 am

Does you wife feel the jolting from the seat or the back??
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for improving passenger comfort?   Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 12:52 pm

honda_silver wrote:
Does you wife feel the jolting from the seat or the back??

From the seat
Back to top Go down
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for improving passenger comfort?   Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 9:08 pm

cjuzda wrote:
Thanks for the responses, I was thinking that the Airhawk small cushion might help. The problem isn't fatigue or vibration, just the jarring. Do you think the Airhawk or Airhawk II would help?

The AirHawk will definitely help. I have two - one on the Swing and one on a Vespa. Anytime I ride without the AH, I notice how much bumpier it feels.

Mine are the older, more expensive style made with natural rubber. The newest model is made with a synthetic rubber, and NOT made by hand (which is why it is cheaper). If I had to replace one today, I would go with the cheaper model.

I really doubt that you would ever regret the expenditure after using it. Probably, you will buy one for yourself too.
Back to top Go down
Bounder
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Bounder

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-09-05

PostSubject: Passenger comfort   Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 5:30 pm

My wife and I rode a Gold Wing for many years until it was starting to be uncomfortable for her, back and legs. A couple of years after i sold the GW I bought a SW and added a side car. Now she is riding with me and loves the sidecar. She likes the comfort and being able to change positions and stretch out. You may want to think about a sidecar.

Now that I have been on three wheels i would not go back to two wheels it is a great ride
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for improving passenger comfort?   Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 25, 2012 11:40 pm

Bounder wrote:
My wife and I rode a Gold Wing for many years until it was starting to be uncomfortable for her, back and legs. A couple of years after i sold the GW I bought a SW and added a side car. Now she is riding with me and loves the sidecar. She likes the comfort and being able to change positions and stretch out. You may want to think about a sidecar.

Now that I have been on three wheels i would not go back to two wheels it is a great ride

Thanks for the suggestion but not something I would consider
Back to top Go down
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for improving passenger comfort?   Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 12:49 am

Bounder,
Just curious, how is the v belt holding up with the sidecar ?
Have you put enough miles on it to require a belt change ?
Back to top Go down
Bounder
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Bounder

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for improving passenger comfort?   Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 2:25 pm

At the start of the season I had a new belt put on. I had logged several thousand miles with the sc and wanted to be sure the belt was in good condition. When the old belt was removed it showed no wear and actually did not need replacing. Being anal on this stuff I replaced it anyway. For a hundred plus bucks it seemed like great insurance. The SC has not negatively effected the SW in any way. My tires are wearing great. However when I buy new tires I am going to put an auto 14" tire on the back. A lot of rigs use this type of tire on the rear. My tires were new when I put the sc on so I did not replace the rear tire. I have a Texas SC and the reason I bought Texas was because of the weight of the SC and the mounting kit which was for a SW. Other side cars would work but to me the weight was important as I was not sure how it would work on the SW. I cannot say enough good things about the rig.
Back to top Go down
Johnnygone
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Johnnygone

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2012-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for improving passenger comfort?   Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 3:06 pm

My feelings & experience so far exactly. I am going to check out info on the rear tire. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for improving passenger comfort?   Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 26, 2012 3:12 pm

Take the car
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestions for improving passenger comfort?   Suggestions for improving passenger comfort? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suggestions for improving passenger comfort?
Page 1 of 1