Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
Backrest bracket slim cover?? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Backrest bracket slim cover?? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Backrest bracket slim cover?? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Backrest bracket slim cover?? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Backrest bracket slim cover?? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Backrest bracket slim cover?? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Backrest bracket slim cover?? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Backrest bracket slim cover?? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Backrest bracket slim cover?? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Backrest bracket slim cover?? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Backrest bracket slim cover??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Octarine
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2012-06-14

Backrest bracket slim cover?? Empty
PostSubject: Backrest bracket slim cover??   Backrest bracket slim cover?? I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 5:10 pm

I just took off the buttrest and WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I'm 6'3" and that little scoot back took the strain off of my elbows and knees.

I don't like the plastic brackets and I guess I have two options:

1) Drill out the rivets and remove the brackets. I'll be left with four holes in the seat cover I imagine, two for the rivets and two larger ones for the buttrest adjuster rails.

2) Cover the brackets with a small cover. I think that one piece that snaps onto the brackets and has holes for the mounting bolts will be the best bet aesthetically.

I want it to be as thin as possible so I'm going to try and find a backrest that has missing brackets or is broken but has a clear front face and take it to my seat upholsterer. (doesn't every biker have a seat upholsterer?Smile) He'll cut a piece of thin plastic, and recover it. I want it to be less than 3/4" when done.

I'll post pics if and when I accomplish this. If anyone else has done something similar, please let me know!
Back to top Go down
carlosw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
carlosw

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Backrest bracket slim cover??   Backrest bracket slim cover?? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 17, 2012 1:00 pm

I did not but I am very interested because I am 6' 2" and would like to have a little more space in the seat too.

Doesn't the back part bother or make uncomfortable riding? I never tried without that but it seemed so. A good set up with a thinner butt rest would be great.
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Backrest bracket slim cover??   Backrest bracket slim cover?? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 12:51 pm

If one is 5'10" or taller... or if you are looking for a little more leg room.... the cheapest way of adding some foot space is removing the butt rest. It will give you an additional 4 or 5 inches of space...which is enough to enable one to stretch out the leg fully against the front wall. Just take the back rest off and see for yourself.

Then if that is more comfortable to you.... here is a suggestion:

Go to a sewing material shop and get some vinyl covered buttons about the size of a an American quarter. These should have a small metal loop on the back side.... you can then attache a piece of wire and push that through the hole where you recently drilled out the rivets. Pull it in tight and power staple it or screw it to the seat pan underneath.... you now have a better looking thing than having those brackets on a seat or holes in the vinyl.

Good to go.

I bought a Corbin seat that gave me a little more room but not as much as one can capture doing the mod above.
Back to top Go down
Octarine
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2012-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Backrest bracket slim cover??   Backrest bracket slim cover?? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 1:33 pm

That sounds like a great plan Larry. I'm off to the stealer to pick up touch up paint, I'll stop by JoAnn Fabrics on the way back, they should have what I need.
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Backrest bracket slim cover??   Backrest bracket slim cover?? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 18, 2012 1:35 pm

Octarine wrote:
That sounds like a great plan Larry. I'm off to the stealer to pick up touch up paint, I'll stop by JoAnn Fabrics on the way back, they should have what I need.

They probably even have the wire you need too! If you don't have some out in the garage already.
Back to top Go down
jahmani3
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Backrest bracket slim cover??   Backrest bracket slim cover?? I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 19, 2012 12:07 pm

I recently made my own cushion as well. I'm 6'5" and love the added leg room. I re-purposed the butt rest to a back rest as suggested in the forum. I used 2 Corner brackets, and bent them to the desired angle. I bought the some grey vinyl material from the fabric store, along with some padding, and stapled them to a rectangular piece of of wood. The result is amazing, while I still can't extend my legs completely, 6'5" and all legs, It's better than the stock alternative.
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/RDiculous
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Backrest bracket slim cover??   Backrest bracket slim cover?? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Backrest bracket slim cover??
Page 1 of 1