Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeby ButlerZoie Today at 4:21 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Yesterday at 9:47 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to progreso, and could use some advice
New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeby Kunamika Hopper Yesterday at 9:27 pm

» LF extended back rest
New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Yesterday at 8:54 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Yesterday at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeby landisr Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New tires and the lure of a cruiser

Go down 
+4
john grinsel
bigbird
honda_silver
SWingNut
8 posters
AuthorMessage
SWingNut
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-12-10

New tires and the lure of a cruiser  Empty
PostSubject: New tires and the lure of a cruiser    New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 1:16 pm

I order a set of Metzler Wintec tires for my Silverwing last week. Honda of Coolsprings was kind enough to let me have a Shadow 750 to drive over the weekend, while they installed them. I really took advantage of the opportunity to ride a cruiser. It was a really interesting comparison. I really liked the lower stance of the Shadow, it felt really stable, however, I was surprised that the 750 was so slow. 80 to 85 mph seemed like a strain for it. I was expecting more power. The tech at Coolsprings said the Shadow was really "torquey", maybe that explains it. The shifing was fine for the most part. I did have a problem with a traffic jam going up a hill… it was tricky for me to start from a dead stop on a uphill incline, something I would have to practice… the foot brake was foreign, I would have to get used to that too.
I had fun with it, and I'm thinking about getting a cruiser. I was thinking of a kawasaki Vulcan 900… not to replace the Silverwing, but just to have another bike to ride. It's very tempting. Anyone have a cruiser as well as a Swing? I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas.

I was really happy to get my Silverwing back, it felt like a comfortable pair of shoes. The Metzlers are great. I had a realization though, after sitting on the cruiser, I noticed that I felt a bit cramped on the Swing. I decided to take the back rest off. It made a HUGE difference! I'm 6'3" and now I can stretch out more. I found a good upholstery shop and having my seat recovered to hide the holes…

It's beautiful day in sunny Tennessee, 60 degrees… can't wait for lunch to get back out and ride.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ronault.net
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: New tires and the lure of a cruiser    New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 1:33 pm

SWingNut wrote:
I decided to take the back rest off. It made a HUGE difference! I'm 6'3" and now I can stretch out more.

+1
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: New tires and the lure of a cruiser    New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 4:00 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: New tires and the lure of a cruiser    New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 4:14 pm

Nothing wrong with getting a motorcycle==but cruisers are as general rule foul handling, uncomfortable, cannot go around corners without dragging something----try reg bike with feet under you, proper riding position and centerstand, before money is spent. Actually SilverWing can be fun to ride and are faster than many cruisers and don't seem to mind being ridden wide open.

Test=reg motorcycle is one you can stand on footpegs with. Don't work with cruiser.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: New tires and the lure of a cruiser    New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 4:24 pm

x

Back to top Go down
oldgoat
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
oldgoat

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2010-07-16

PostSubject: Re: New tires and the lure of a cruiser    New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 5:38 pm

I've had several scooter + different m/c combinations.

Suzuki Burgman 650 & Suzuki V-Strom DL1000
Suzuki Burgman 400 & Suzuki Boulevard M50
Silverwing & Yamaha Road Star
Silverwing & Yamaha Virago XV1100

You are a big guy & can see how you felt cramped when you got back on the Silverwing. I'm only 5'8" with short legs so don't have that problem.

For me it is the automatic transmission & hand operated brakes that win me over (+ the underseat storage). The handling of all 3 of the above scoots has, with my limited skills, proved to be exemplary, whereas of the 3 cruisers above the Road Star was head & shoulders above the other 2 in handling & comfort. It is a huge bike though.

The V-Strom was too tall for me & I fell off (at rest) & the 650 Burgman handled beautifully.

It would be nice to have a variety of bikes to choose from (they don't have to cost a fortune) but the tags are $525/year for anything over 400cc up here & it gets to be expensive.
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

PostSubject: Re: New tires and the lure of a cruiser    New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 06, 2012 6:11 pm

I had a V Strom but found it too tall--5'10'' & 29'' inseam. I have knee discomfort on normal bikes due to (owing to ??) my spondylosis but the Swing is very comfy and the handling is plenty adequate for me.
When I visit my daughter in New Zealand I get to ride a cruiser, a Suzuki VZ800 M50. The feet forward position is fine for my knees but the performance is not as good as the Swing and the handling is not as good, not that it matters that much. The low down seat makes mounting and getting off reasonably OK.
The answer is to suck it and see, you might like the cruiser for the more 'relaxed' outings !
Back to top Go down
viclavigne
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
viclavigne

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2012-03-31

PostSubject: Re: New tires and the lure of a cruiser    New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 11:28 am

I've owned a little of everything that comes on two wheels - see my sig. And that list is incomplete, since I can add one sportsbike to it and several additional cruisers and standard motorcycles.

I'll go back to the OP about cruisers. Cruisers are easy to drive, and make good beginner bikes... much like a scooter. For some experienced motorcyclists (and I say some, not all), the cruiser is actually a boring bike. From my experience, they are generally heavy, underpowered for their size, usually don't handle well, and the bigger the engine the clunkier the shifting. Some brands (like HD) don't like to use liquid cooling and so they tend to run pretty hot and can have trouble in hot weather, especially stop-n-go traffic. Worst of all, the manufacturers of cruisers think that all buyers prefer a retro look and feel, so they leave off fuel gauges, put shift-indicator lights in hard to see areas, intentionally design the engine to vibrate, and put on loud exhausts. And don't get me started on the recliner seating position (you learn to love it or hate it). I've owned my fair share of cruisers, and have no desire to get another one, but I know there are plenty of folks who really enjoy them. DIfferent strokes for different folks.

Vic
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: New tires and the lure of a cruiser    New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 1:04 pm

x

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: New tires and the lure of a cruiser    New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 1:49 pm

SWingNut wrote:
I order a set of Metzler Wintec tires for my Silverwing last week. Honda of Coolsprings was kind enough to let me have a Shadow 750 to drive over the weekend, while they installed them. I really took advantage of the opportunity to ride a cruiser. It was a really interesting comparison. I really liked the lower stance of the Shadow, it felt really stable, however, I was surprised that the 750 was so slow. 80 to 85 mph seemed like a strain for it. I was expecting more power. The tech at Coolsprings said the Shadow was really "torquey", maybe that explains it. The shifing was fine for the most part. I did have a problem with a traffic jam going up a hill… it was tricky for me to start from a dead stop on a uphill incline, something I would have to practice… the foot brake was foreign, I would have to get used to that too.
I had fun with it, and I'm thinking about getting a cruiser. I was thinking of a kawasaki Vulcan 900… not to replace the Silverwing, but just to have another bike to ride. It's very tempting. Anyone have a cruiser as well as a Swing? I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas.

I was really happy to get my Silverwing back, it felt like a comfortable pair of shoes. The Metzlers are great. I had a realization though, after sitting on the cruiser, I noticed that I felt a bit cramped on the Swing. I decided to take the back rest off. It made a HUGE difference! I'm 6'3" and now I can stretch out more. I found a good upholstery shop and having my seat recovered to hide the holes…

It's beautiful day in sunny Tennessee, 60 degrees… can't wait for lunch to get back out and ride.

Cheers!

I have had a number of cruisers, before during and after the sale of my first Silverwing. I came back to owning another Silverwing due to the versatility of this wonderful machine.

The cruiser bikes are fun and they look stylish, no doubt about it. I owned:

94 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 (right before)
03 Kawasaki Concours 1000 (right before)
05 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 (right before)
06 Kawasaki Nomad 1600 (right before)
03 Suzuki Volusia 805 (During)
06 Suzuki Boulevard 805 (During)
07 Honda Shadow 750 (During)
94 Goldwing 1500 (current riding)

Also,

06 Burgman 400 (before and after the first Silverwing)
04 Honda Helix (before and after the first Silverwing)
06 Honda Helix (before and during the 2nd Silverwing)
94 Honda Helix (3 weeks during the 2nd Silverwing)

I am not going to mention the bikes way before.... just for comparison, cuz you asked.

I think the Silverwing would beat any of those bikes in the quarter mile with the exception of the Concours. The Goldwing included.

Top speed would beat all of them except the Goldwing and the Concours.

Comfort, beats the Vulcan 500 only. This might change once I put my newly acquired Corbin seat on. I hate the stock seat.

The versatility and the reliability of the Silverwing is the big plus. Hands down better than all of them to date.

I have never owned a PC 800 and if I ever find a low mileage one of those... I will have one. I would like to compare that bike to the Silverwing.

The step through design is wonderful, but it gets ZERO style points in the motorcycle world. It is a scooter and gets treated that way by other riders. I don't care, it doesn't lower the smiles to the miles for me.

I am 58 years old. This year, I am going to replace my 94 1500 Goldwing with the newer 1800 version. When I get to the point that I can't ride the 1800 anymore, I already own the last bike I will ever own. It is my Silverwing, at the ready.

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New tires and the lure of a cruiser    New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 1:54 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Nothing wrong with getting a motorcycle==but cruisers are as general rule foul handling, uncomfortable, cannot go around corners without dragging something----try reg bike with feet under you, proper riding position and centerstand, before money is spent. Actually SilverWing can be fun to ride and are faster than many cruisers and don't seem to mind being ridden wide open.

Test=reg motorcycle is one you can stand on footpegs with. Don't work with cruiser.

John, well said. The cruiser is an in town bike... all show and not much go.

The Concours was an excellent example of the bike you mentioned with the feet under you, not behind you like the zoom splats of today.

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New tires and the lure of a cruiser    New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 1:59 pm

bigbird wrote:
SWingNut wrote:
I was thinking of a kawasaki Vulcan 900… not to replace the Silverwing, but just to have another bike to ride. It's very tempting. Anyone have a cruiser as well as a Swing? I'd love to hear your thoughts and ideas.

A riding buddy of mine gave his Swing to his wife and bought a Vulcan 900 LTD. All I can say is that he's sorry he got the 900 Vulcan. It's slow, heavy, handles poorly, and can't keep up with our Swings on the highway. He said he should have gotten a 1700 Vulcan.

Big Bird I agree with you. Compared to the Silverwing, the Vulcan 900 is heavy and slow and does not handle very well.

I owned the Kawasaki Nomad 1600. It got 30 miles to the gallon and you have to run premium fuel in it. My Kawasaki 750 Vulcan could beat it in the quarter mile. I got better mileage with my Saturn Vue and it had a sun roof, air conditioning and ran on regular gas.

Not bashing the other bikes, praising the Silverwing! And yes, the 1600 Nomad was running right.

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New tires and the lure of a cruiser    New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 2:06 pm

oldgoat wrote:

It would be nice to have a variety of bikes to choose from (they don't have to cost a fortune) but the tags are $525/year for anything over 400cc up here & it gets to be expensive.

That is a steep price tag. $65 here in Washington State and the state does not require insurance on motorcycles.

If it costs that much for one bike here.... I would only have one.

I run minimum liability insurance on my two bikes and Geico only gets $150 per year on both bikes.
Back to top Go down
viclavigne
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
viclavigne

PostSubject: Re: New tires and the lure of a cruiser    New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 3:29 pm

bigbird wrote:
viclavigne wrote:
they are generally heavy, underpowered for their size, usually don't handle well, and the bigger the engine the clunkier the shifting. Vic

Have you read the test of the new 2013 Victory Judge in the April edition of the Motorcycle Consumers News magazine?
No, but you may not have noticed that I prefaced my comment with "generally". There have definitely been some good cruisers made. Yamaha v-max, Honda Harley V-rod, Honda magna, and I'm sure a few others. But the majority of common cruisers that I have seen over the last few years do not have much to personally inspire me. In fact, I was happier with a smaller cruiser (Honda Shadow 750) and as I got bigger ones got more disappointed.

Vic
Back to top Go down
viclavigne
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
viclavigne

PostSubject: Re: New tires and the lure of a cruiser    New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 3:36 pm

larryinseattle wrote:

I have never owned a PC 800 and if I ever find a low mileage one of those... I will have one. I would like to compare that bike to the Silverwing.
I bought a PC800 and kept it about 4 months. Thought my wife would like it, turned out that I liked it more than she did. Coming off a Swing, I think you'd be disappointed with it. The biggest plus for it is its amazing trunk, which makes it a great utilitarian bike and possibly a good commuter. The other good points for me was the engine was amazingly smooth, and with stock exhaust it was very quiet. Weather protection was very good with its stock windshield and the big fairing.

The bad stuff: it was a bit heavy for its size, the gas mileage was not that good for the mid-size engine, and.... I hate to say it, but it has a bit of fugly factor. That was the biggest reason my wife didn't want to ride it, she didn't want to be seen on it. Shocked

Vic
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: New tires and the lure of a cruiser    New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 3:49 pm

x

Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New tires and the lure of a cruiser    New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 4:08 pm

viclavigne wrote:
larryinseattle wrote:

I bought a PC800 and kept it about 4 months. Thought my wife would like it, turned out that I liked it more than she did. Coming off a Swing, I think you'd be disappointed with it. The biggest plus for it is its amazing trunk, which makes it a great utilitarian bike and possibly a good commuter. The other good points for me was the engine was amazingly smooth, and with stock exhaust it was very quiet. Weather protection was very good with its stock windshield and the big fairing.

The bad stuff: it was a bit heavy for its size, the gas mileage was not that good for the mid-size engine, and.... I hate to say it, but it has a bit of fugly factor. That was the biggest reason my wife didn't want to ride it, she didn't want to be seen on it. Shocked

Vic

Thank you for your review.

I understand fugly. I have owned 3 Honda Helix's. I think the 800 would be easier to ride in town than my 1500 Goldwing, but yet have many of the same attributes.

As I age, I think about what would suite me in the future....and I hate to say it, sometimes in the near future. I am 58 and of strong mind and body now, but as other friends of mine had said, "It don't take long to get here." meaning the age of 70.
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: New tires and the lure of a cruiser    New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 4:09 pm

bigbird wrote:
viclavigne wrote:

No, but you may not have noticed that I prefaced my comment with "generally". There have definitely been some good cruisers made.
Vic

Yes, I noticed. The reason I mentioned the Victory Judge was to point out that there is a very atypical power cruiser available, if you didn't already know, as you hadn't mentioned any good ones specifically until after my reply.

I have a riding buddy who has the big Victory. He loves it and he can keep up with my Goldwing 1500.
Back to top Go down
viclavigne
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
viclavigne

PostSubject: Re: New tires and the lure of a cruiser    New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 5:09 pm

larryinseattle wrote:

Thank you for your review.

I understand fugly. I have owned 3 Honda Helix's. I think the 800 would be easier to ride in town than my 1500 Goldwing, but yet have many of the same attributes.

As I age, I think about what would suite me in the future....and I hate to say it, sometimes in the near future. I am 58 and of strong mind and body now, but as other friends of mine had said, "It don't take long to get here." meaning the age of 70.
Motorbike looks don't bother me too much either. I didn't mind riding the Pac Coast, it was pleasant enough and pretty comfortable. Would defnitely be easier to get around than a GWing if just going around town. Didn't mention it, but maintenance was pretty easy too, if not easier than the GWing.

Vic
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: New tires and the lure of a cruiser    New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 7:37 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
viclavigne
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
viclavigne

PostSubject: Re: New tires and the lure of a cruiser    New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 7:58 pm

bigbird wrote:
:lol!: Are you Avril's dad?
Oh, well, I've claimed to a few people that I'm her uncle Laughing

Most know me well enough not to take that seriously.

Vic
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New tires and the lure of a cruiser    New tires and the lure of a cruiser  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New tires and the lure of a cruiser
Page 1 of 1