Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» May 2024 forum picture
Hello From Floriduh I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Hello From Floriduh I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Yesterday at 3:33 pm

» checking the oil
Hello From Floriduh I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Hello From Floriduh I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Hello From Floriduh I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Hello From Floriduh I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Hello From Floriduh I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Hello From Floriduh I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Hello From Floriduh I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Hello From Floriduh I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:54 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hello From Floriduh

Go down 
+4
Waspie
txtrkdrvr
bigbird
TwoWheelers
8 posters
AuthorMessage
TwoWheelers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2012-02-23

Hello From Floriduh Empty
PostSubject: Hello From Floriduh   Hello From Floriduh I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 12:28 pm

Wifester bought a new 400 Burg in 2008 and Still love's it.
She is trying to convert me to Scooterville.
In that same time period I've owned a 650 KLR, and now a C50T Suzuki.
So - I'm researching Silverwings, 650 Burg's, Majesty's, Etc.
We both drive motorcycles so we call ourselves "Two Wheelers" on a couple of forums; Short for 2 two wheel drivers for those in the know.
Anyway, we'll probably do much more Lurking than writing here. But so far we both love this forum for the information and positive attitudes of most readings.
In conclusion: we have decided to join...
"Sell me on the Silverwing."
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Floriduh   Hello From Floriduh I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 1:29 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
txtrkdrvr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
txtrkdrvr

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Floriduh   Hello From Floriduh I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 2:08 pm

I have both a KLR and a Silver Wing. The Silver Wing is superior in town for short trips and it's my Monday through Friday work week bike. But the KLR is superior for longer trips particurlarly if that includes a jaunt off road......usually through the forest. That's the Ocala National Forest for those how don't know the area. I ride it only on the weekends.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Floriduh   Hello From Floriduh I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 3:48 pm

"Sell you the Silver Wing" Huh!

Nope, I think if you do your home work you will either go for it or not. We would all no doubt say the 'Wing' is a grand machine. You however may test ride one and figure it's not for you.

Only way you'll find out I guess is to ride one for yourself and see.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
matthew
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
matthew

Number of posts : 361
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Floriduh   Hello From Floriduh I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2012 5:01 pm

(
txtrkdrvr wrote:
the KLR is superior for longer trips

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I need to express my surprise at this statement. I've never ridden a KLR, short distance or long, but I've ridden the Swing long distances, and I've read a fair bit about the KLR. It surprised me that you would find the thumper KLR to be - what? more comfortable? smoother riding? more powerful? superior in what ways? - to the Swing for touring.)

OP: As far as being sold on the Swing is concerned, maybe you can ride your wife's B400 for a while, then imagine a larger, smoother, more powerful, more road worthy (for touring anyway, IMO) scooter than that. If you like the B400, I'd imagine you'd like the Swing even more.

Also, shouldn't it be Flariduh?
Back to top Go down
txtrkdrvr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
txtrkdrvr

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Floriduh   Hello From Floriduh I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 5:36 am

The suspension on the KLR is very plush. Almost like an old Cadillac, if you've ever had the chance to ride in one. Bumps and road irregularities are soaked up by the KLR suspension that would make the SW shudder and shake. While there is nothing wrong with the suspension on the SW, once you ride a KLR you'll notice an immediate difference. This is my third KLR. While the SW is a scooter and has a step through design that makes it easy to get on and off, the KLR is a tall persons bike. You seldom see anyone under 6 ft riding one. I'm 6'2" and can just barely sit with tiptoes at a dead stop. I do a little off roading at times as well. Something I don't recommend with the SW. Deep sand and a SWing = crash if you're not an experienced rider. They wallow like a pig in the sand. On a KLR all you do is put your weight over the rear wheels as far back as possible and twist the throttle as hard as your riding skills allow.
Back to top Go down
TwoWheelers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Floriduh   Hello From Floriduh I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 3:42 pm

The wifester loved riding with me on the 650 KLR and now loves the back seat of the C50T cruiser. Comfort for two is a high priority for me.

The Silverwing and the 400’s are winning hands down as far as routine maintenance goes; over the 650 Burgman. Oil changes and even belt changes seem pretty basic.

Between my riding friends and family, we have everything covered except the Wing. And my closest dealer doesn’t have a Silverwing and will not order one for the floor.

I have driven the 650 Burg, 400 Burg, and 400 Majesty. I could drive any one of them at any time. So far no chance no way to drive a Wing.

This purchase will be next year at the earliest, so there is plenty of time for my research.

Thanks for the responses. I’ll be wandering all over this forum to seek my education and insight.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Floriduh   Hello From Floriduh I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2012 4:14 pm

TwoWheelers wrote:
The Silverwing and the 400’s are winning hands down as far as routine maintenance goes; over the 650 Burgman. Oil changes and even belt changes seem pretty basic.

The big Burger is way too complicated for what it is and what it does. Don't get me wrong, great machine but the 'Wing' and the little Burger are as you imply, your best choices.

Your right in spending time making up your mind but the proof will be the ride without a doubt.

Happy hunting.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
surlybiker58
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
surlybiker58

Number of posts : 350
Registration date : 2011-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Floriduh   Hello From Floriduh I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2012 7:24 am

I too looked at the Burgmans and the Majesty before buying my 2007
Silverwing.

The 650 Burger was too pricey and with too many bells and whistles for
my taste and I wanted more power than a 400.
The determining factor was that my local dealer had a left over 2007
(yes unsold for four years) and I saved substantial dollars over buying
the current model.
I think if you choose to go with the Wing, you'll be happy. It's a very
comfortable ride.
Back to top Go down
viclavigne
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
viclavigne

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2012-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Floriduh   Hello From Floriduh I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2012 10:48 pm

TwoWheelers wrote:
The wifester loved riding with me on the 650 KLR and now loves the back seat of the C50T cruiser. Comfort for two is a high priority for me.

If you are seriously considering a scooter for 2-up riding, then you should be actively looking at Burgman 650 vs Silverwing comparisons. They are probably the 2 leading scooters in size and performance in the US.

I have already owned a Burgman 650 (2006 model, non-exec). When I was recently checking into getting another big scooter, it was Burgman vs Silverwing decision for me. They each have pros and cons. For me, 2-up riding does not factor in, as my wife likes to drive her own vehicle and not be a passenger. Based on my experience and research, I decided to go with the Swing for a couple reasons:

1. Slightly smaller body. This is personal preference, maybe you like something that feels more solid. I didn't like the width of the big burgie, so anything less wide was a plus.
2. Ease of maintenance. During the course of my Burgie ownership, I flushed the coolant, brake lines, changed the oil and tranny fluid, replaced spark plugs and even changed the fork oil. From the descriptions of SWing maintenance that I've found, maintenance looks like overall easier.
3. Price. If what you spend is important, you should realize the comparable Burgman 650s and Silverwings will show a savings if you go for the Swing.

As I said, pros and cons for each. So for each good thing I pointed out above, you may find something different. In the end, its all personal preference. I'm glad I made the choice that I did. The Swing is fun to drive, has loads of onboard storage, and my wife is already getting envious. Tonight she mentioned that we may need to switch scooters. pale

Vic
Back to top Go down
TwoWheelers
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Floriduh   Hello From Floriduh I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 10:38 am

We drove to our second closest Honda dealer yesterday and looked over a new Silverwing. Wifester and I both liked the feel of the Wing as driver and from the back seat. Didn't ask to drive one at this time.
Both of us had good feelings about this dealer. It's maybe 50 miles away compared to our closest cr#p dealer only 15 miles away.
We are now down to the Majesty vs Silverwing.
Looking Goooood for the Wing. Smile
Back to top Go down
SCTLVR
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2012-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Floriduh   Hello From Floriduh I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Spanish magazines Solo and Scooter are good sources of comparison information on these two scoot's. Just read 2007 (last time I was in Spain) reviews and they are quite revealing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello From Floriduh   Hello From Floriduh I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello From Floriduh
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Introductions-
Jump to: