Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
Steering Question? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Steering Question? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Steering Question? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Steering Question? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Steering Question? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Steering Question? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Steering Question? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Steering Question? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Steering Question? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Steering Question? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Steering Question?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Hvymtl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-02-10

Steering Question? Empty
PostSubject: Steering Question?   Steering Question? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 8:01 am

This is our first Silverwing....it's a 2004 we bought this weekend for the wife to learn on...I (and wife) noticed in riding in a parking lot the steering is very heavy at slower speed when turning right. The bike really fights a right turn . Turning left is easy. Is this normal for this bike?

Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Number of posts : 613
Registration date : 2011-11-07

Steering Question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Question?   Steering Question? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 8:33 am

No!

It would be worth supporting the front wheel off the ground to feel the steering, it may be some tight cables just need supporting or re-routing...

Don't jack it up using the plastic underneath as it may crack.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcmodeltalk.co.uk
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Steering Question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Question?   Steering Question? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 8:40 am

The wheels are like a gyro and as such will turn one way easier than the other. That said, at slow speeds I would have thought the effect minimal. Maybe your muscles in your arms are weaker on one side, ( Laughing ).

First thing I would check is the tyre pressure and ensure they are correct. I recently had a tyre under inflation problem and the symptom was difficulty in steering particularly slow speeds.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
Hvymtl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Steering Question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Question?   Steering Question? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 8:58 am

I've ridden motorcycles all my life.... and I noticed it right away but didn't say anything. She's never ridden before, but she noticed too and complained about it. Front tire is fairly worn (as is rear) ..replacing it this week to see if that helps...didn't know if this was a characteristic of this type bike or not.

Steering feels fine on the center stand no rough spots in the bearing either left or right. ANy other ideas to check - it may be the tires.....
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Steering Question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Question?   Steering Question? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 8:59 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Steering Question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Question?   Steering Question? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 2:28 pm

@Hvymtl

"noticed in riding in a parking lot the steering is very heavy at slower speed when turning right"

About what speed would you be travelling at? I've assumed that its real slow (10mph ish), slow enough that you don't really need to bank at all.

If you were able to measure this heaviness, would it be about 25% or 50% the strength needed as it is to turn left?

I've never noticed a difference but I will be going for a spin later I will try to see if I notice any difference.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Steering Question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Question?   Steering Question? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 2:32 pm

bigbird wrote:
RArch wrote:

Don't jack it up using the plastic underneath as it may crack.

No problem using the undercover to jack up your Swing as long as you place a piece of 2X10 board under the tupperware.

Good to know, spread the load and it should be fine Cool
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Steering Question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Question?   Steering Question? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 21, 2012 5:01 pm

Back from my spin, its always enjoyable Smile

I did some slow turns both left and right at about 10mph and turning the steering feels the very same to me each way. I'd describe the strength required as very very little, hardly any effort required.

Is it possible that once moving there is enough pressure on the head bearings to make a difference ie they are worn?

The service manual suggests a few possibilities for hard steering;
* steering stem top thread too tight.
* worn or damaged bearings.
* worn or damaged bearing races.
* bent steering stem.
* insufficient tire pressure, faulty front tyre.

Maybe fit those new tyres before first...

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Steering Question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Question?   Steering Question? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 6:08 am

First solo bikes are not steered, they are leaned. Low air pressure in tires can make handling funny. Foot pressure(as there are no pegs) makes great difference---feet up front=push right go right, etc.

SilverWing not best bike for leaner----it has a lot power and can put you in the weeds quickly. Get her in MSF course, learn the basics, become qualified for bike lic.-----ride each and everyday for everything and SilverWing can be safe and enjoyable.-----there is not short cut to safe and enjoyable riding. Professional quality boots/gloves/rain gear/jackets make big difference in comfort and might help if you fall off.

Back to top Go down
Hvymtl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Steering Question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Question?   Steering Question? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 22, 2012 8:49 am

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions - swings new shoes arrived yesterday, so I 'll get them put on in a day or two and see if that makes a difference.

Sure is not as easy to ride as a motorcycyle (IMO) - maybe not a good idea for a beginner bike... but thought since it had no manual clutch it would be easier for her to focus on other riding skills... like staying upright
Back to top Go down
Hvymtl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Steering Question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Question?   Steering Question? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 2:58 pm

Turns out the previous owner or the factory installed one spring one way the other ..the other ( loose coil up and loose coil down). I would suspect that would cause easier turning as the one leg "collapsed earlier when turn left and the tight coil kept the leg from compressing turning right (if you follow this). Anyway..steers (yep-I said steers) same now.
Back to top Go down
RArch
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
RArch

Steering Question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Question?   Steering Question? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 6:55 pm

I'm amazing that it made enough of a difference for you to feel it.

I've had the front mud guard off my 2009 bike and its got a fork brace, just wondering if your bike has such a thing fitted? If not, it may help too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Steering Question? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steering Question?   Steering Question? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steering Question?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: