Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 1:55 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Kuryakin or heated grips

Go down 
+3
dspevack
Waspie
CSN
7 posters
AuthorMessage
CSN
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
CSN

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Kuryakin or heated grips Empty
PostSubject: Kuryakin or heated grips   Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 2:34 pm

I'm sure there is probably discussion somewhere on here regarding this.
I have always used Kuryakin grips on my motorcycles as I need the wider grip as I have arthritis in my hands and it has always made it easier for me over the stock grips. So I was going to replace my swing with those, however, I also want heat and I don't really like the idea of wiring gloves/clothes to the battery. So can anyone recommend a good heated grip that is wide like the kuryakins and possibly even helps with vibrations?
If there is nothing out there, has anyone tried gloves with a rechargeable litho battery and what kind of gloves did you get. They have to be able to ship to Canada. If I don't get the heated grips I'm thinking of getting the kuryakin grips which I'm use to and possibly a battery operated heated glove.
Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for your input in advance.
...Christina
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakin or heated grips   Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 2:48 pm

CSN, if you type "heated grips" into the search function at the top of the page. Ensure the 'Topics' button is highlighted and click 'Go' a plethora of topics on the subject will appear.

I was going to post a link or two but there are so many it would be easier for you to search.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
CSN
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
CSN

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakin or heated grips   Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 2:50 pm

Thank you, I'll try that Smile
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakin or heated grips   Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 3:45 pm

Hotgrips.com
You can also get grips that are up to an inch wider than stock, which means more real estate for your hand.
Get the PWM heat control.

Dan
Back to top Go down
CSN
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
CSN

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakin or heated grips   Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 3:52 pm

Hot grips is what my mechanic recommended but I couldn't tell what size the girth is.
This is what he recommended for me.
Is this the same as what you are referring to Dan?
http://www.hotgrips.com/store.php?rn=121&action=show_detail
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakin or heated grips   Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2012 5:19 pm

Close. That is 4.75 inches long, which is standard for the Silverwing.
Mine are the 5.75 inches long. 1 inch wider than stock.
http://www.hotgrips.com/store.php?crn=210&rn=139&action=show_detail
As long as the fit a 7/8 diameter handlebar, any length will work.

Don't forget either this:
http://www.hotgrips.com/store.php?crn=201&rn=390&action=show_detail
or this:
http://www.hotgrips.com/store.php?crn=201&rn=389&action=show_detail

Look carefully at hotgrips info on open ended units and discuss the barweight
situation with your mechanic when using grips that are longer than the metal bar they surround.

They aren't so long that you will lose rigidity, but the extra width is great especially if you decide later to use a throttle rocker or other device for palm rest.

Its complicated but I'll try to explain.
The current grip is the width of your hand approx.
Devices which go around your grip and add a palm rest take up part of that space near the outer end of it. When you hit the brakes in an emergency stop, your hands against the grips absorb the forward motion of your body. If the palmrest is in the way, you will have to roll your hand forward putting all the stress on your wrist. At that point an impact will break your wrist.

If you have the extra wide grip, your wrist rest will be out of your way and you will still have a full hand width grip, avoiding that problem.

Even if you don't use a throttlerocker or similar, the extra inch allows you to reposition your hands more comfortably.

Take a look at the link in my sig to my bike. You will see them installed.
Dan

Last edited by dspevack on Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fiddler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-12-02

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakin or heated grips   Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 2:26 am

CSN wrote:
Hot grips is what my mechanic recommended but I couldn't tell what size the girth is.

I love HotGrips®. They are the best.

Both the models your mechanic and Dan suggested have more girth than the original SilverWing grips. The model 401 HotGrips® are the same girth as the original.

Measuring the original grips, they show a touch under 1 1/4 inches in diameter or about 3 7/8 inches in circumference.

The HotGrips® model 475-875 and model 525-875 measure just a touch over 1 1/2 in diameter and 4 3/4 inches in circumference.
(Thats with a sewing tape, not a high precision measure)

The difference is from "hilt" to end weight length.
The 475-875 has 4 3/4 inches between hilt and pommel but the model 525-875 measures 5 1/4 "hilt" to weight so it gives a bit more real estate to spread out on but will feel just as fat in the hand.

Dan's model 575-875 will be 5 3/4 inches "hilt" to endweight giving the most room to spread out but still has that same girth of 1 1/2 diameter and 4 3/4 circumference.

Back to top Go down
CSN
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
CSN

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakin or heated grips   Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 5:43 am

Fiddler wrote:
CSN wrote:

I love HotGrips®. They are the best.

Both the models your mechanic and Dan suggested have more girth than the original SilverWing grips. The model 401 HotGrips® are the same girth as the original.

Measuring the original grips, they show a touch under 1 1/4 inches in diameter or about 3 7/8 inches in circumference.

The HotGrips® model 475-875 and model 525-875 measure just a touch over 1 1/2 in diameter and 4 3/4 inches in circumference.
(Thats with a sewing tape, not a high precision measure)

The difference is from "hilt" to end weight length.
The 475-875 has 4 3/4 inches between hilt and pommel but the model 525-875 measures 5 1/4 "hilt" to weight so it gives a bit more real estate to spread out on but will feel just as fat in the hand.

Dan's model 575-875 will be 5 3/4 inches "hilt" to endweight giving the most room to spread out but still has that same girth of 1 1/2 diameter and 4 3/4 circumference.

What about vibration? Does it take away vibrations? I know that the kuyakins absorb a lot of vibrations. I am leaning towards this model and I think I'm going to suggest to my mechanic to get me the model Dan suggested to have that extra. If someone tells me that it also absorbs vibrations then I think this is what I'm going to go with. Thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
Fiddler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakin or heated grips   Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 6:49 am

I've never used the Kuryakin grips, so I can't compare them to those.
The HotGrips aren't spongy but I feel less vibration than the original. The fatter grips feel better under my hands.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakin or heated grips   Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 8:10 am

Fiddler wrote:
I've never used the Kuryakin grips, so I can't compare them to those.
The HotGrips aren't spongy but I feel less vibration than the original. The fatter grips feel better under my hands.

+1
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakin or heated grips   Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 8:57 am

Since grips are first of all a safety item....fit must me exact......and made exactly for SilverWing length grips. Bars are 7/8...pretty much standard except for HD and some Cruisers. There are at least two grip lengths out there,, SilverWing being the shorter.......exact fit on throttle side because putting bar end back on with grip too long=throttle that won't return. Could lead to real thrills.

Then electric hook ups......

Try Aerostich catalog for selection.

I am sure in some markets Honda has OEM heated grips.

Secret with stiff hands (mine are) proper fitting gloves/mitts and no death grip on bars. A NEP throttle stop, properly set up works wonders on long trips. Get off bike at least every hour. Scooter requires less wrist action on long day-----bike @ 400 miles, I take 2 aspirin, scooter hands ok @ 500------but boring.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3794
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakin or heated grips   Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 10:37 am

+1 Mine are Honda ones.
Back to top Go down
Fiddler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakin or heated grips   Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 4:04 pm

Aerostich sells the Hot Grips. they describe it as
Quote :
This is the best heated grip system available.
I've not seen the Honda grips in person. My dealer said they could get them but the Hot Grips were what they recommended.

Not trying to be argumentative, I just don't understand how a fatter grip is a safety issue.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakin or heated grips   Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 5:31 pm

Fiddler wrote:
I just don't understand how a fatter grip is a safety issue.

John Grinsel is a bit of a purist. Very few variations from stock.

He is all about safety first, and feels that stock is usually the safest route, and makes repairs easier due to parts availability

He's entitled to his position and so are you.

Dan
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakin or heated grips   Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 13, 2012 5:43 pm

MikeO wrote:

+1 Mine are Honda ones.

Mine too, and they are superb.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakin or heated grips   Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2012 12:19 am

I'm pretty happy with the Oxford heated grips I got from Twisted Throttle for something like $80. It has 4 heat settings and was fairly easy to mount and wire.

I never considered the extra length aspect but since I've been using the Crampbusters throttle assist - which I really enjoy - I can see how a wider grip would help. Right now I sort of have to scrunch my right hand to to left to get the most effect from the heated grip.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kuryakin or heated grips   Kuryakin or heated grips I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kuryakin or heated grips
Page 1 of 1