Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» New to Me Swing
TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 5:41 pm

» I said Farewell...
TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Essential tools for traveling

Go down 
+8
larryinseattle
tarmacburner2
bigbird
AAAA
dspevack
Waspie
JeffR_
realbtl
12 posters
AuthorMessage
realbtl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
realbtl

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2011-12-19

TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling Empty
PostSubject: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 3:13 pm

Hope everyone had/is having a Merry Christmas. I'm looking for some specific tool suggestions as a lot of the roads I travel are very isolated and my SW does not have the factory tool kit.

First of all, I am not planning on replacing a belt by the roadside or similar. This is more for simple fixes. I carry a flashlight, tire kit and pump, cell phone (often useless), spare fuses, zip ties and duct tape and an emergency $200 in cash.

It looks like a phillips screwdriver is necessary to get at the main fuse plus a small adjustable wrench for things like loosened mirrors etc. Any other small tools that would be nice to have? Is a plug wrench and spare plugs really necessary? I'm trying to keep a positive attitude that riding season will get here soon. Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 4:00 pm

The tool kit that came with my SWing was a screwdriver, of some kind, and another small wrench. I really have no idea what I would use them for but I think most of us got a useless kit. I wouldn't be too worried about a spark plug wrench as long as you change/maintain your plugs as required. I can't really remember anyone complaining of 'fouling' a plug on the SWing. Is your pump one of those 12v pumps? It sounds like you have what you need really, of what you mentioned.

I bought a cool flashlight at Pepboys, and they have them at target too, that is not only solar powered but also a crank flashlight. It is by far the brightest crank flashlight I have ever had, and I've had quite a few. This way you don't ever have to worry about dead batteries.

Back to top Go down
realbtl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
realbtl

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 4:10 pm

The pump is a high tech bicycle pump, small but very effective. I tried it just for giggles on my Helix and it won't kill me to get to "limp to the nearest station" if the CO2 fails to work.

Thanks for the reply.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 4:28 pm

Must admit that I only carry my mobile or cell phone as you call it over the pond and my breakdown card. Whilst it's under warranty I take advantage of the breakdown cover that is provided when buying from new.

I used to carry a high end cycle pump, (on top of having tyre sealant in my tyres,). Basic tool kit, small roll of 'duct tape', some electrical tape and again, mobile and wallet. Will again when the warranty expires.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 5:01 pm

Another convenient item, depending on how nimble your fingers are, is a fuse puller, or tester to check blade fuses. either one is about the size of a match book and as thick has half a deck of cards. Avalailable from any autoshop, and easy to use and carry. Made of plastic so its light weight.
Carrying a spare fuse is an easy way to solve many problems of consequence.

Dan

Last edited by dspevack on Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 5:43 pm

I carry a screwdriver with Phillips, and standard tips, a Gerber multitool that has strong pliers, a 1/4 inch drive ratchet with the metric sizes i need to access the bike, and about 15 feet each of 16 18 and 22 gauge wire with small wire nuts and solder-less connections. And a big wad of high tensile baling wire. People really underestimate the value of a good wad of high tension wire!
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 6:09 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 6:20 pm

I don't know BB. I dont think Honda would approve of a hex wrench that wasn't Honda approved, they know better than anyone, remember?
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 6:32 pm

x

Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 6:47 pm

I wonder if its a coincidence that there both over 70. Hmmmmmm.
Back to top Go down
realbtl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
realbtl

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 6:57 pm

Damn, almost forgot the baling wire. It will definitely work for things the duct tape won't fix. I keep some in my '63 Beetle and have used it along with some rope to limp home with a broken throttle cable. Put a loop of wire around the arm on the carb then rope out the back looped around the bumper and up to the side window. Not very responsive but it works.

+1 on the fuse puller. I also take along my Leatherman for odds and ends. Keep 'em comin'.
Back to top Go down
tarmacburner2
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
tarmacburner2

Number of posts : 1099
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 7:22 pm

Some tie-wraps (zip-ties). Can be used or a multitude of situations.
Not sure if t ha already been mentioned but a tyre repair kit.
Cheers,
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 387
Registration date : 2010-03-31

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 8:36 pm

I carry a small air compressor and a tire plug kit. My rain gear. A first aid kit.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3296
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 7:01 am

In addition to above mentioned stuff, complete set of sockets/wrenches/ that allow front and rear wheel removal. Remember muffler/exhaust pipe packings (spare). Tire irons, centerstand leg can be used as bead breaker

Even if you cannot do/fix yourself with proper tools somebody may be able to help you. No tools=no go.

On tire pump, make sure you can reach valve stem, at home.

Little can of WD 40 can come in handy.

Most important keep bike in tip top shape-----I have ridden to some out of the way places---James Bay/North Cap in Norway/Central America.....and always ridden back.

Knowing your machine, carrying shop manual helps in pinch......or you can do like the cars that seem to be on market for yuppies---call somebody---my new BMW came with no jack/no spare/lug wrench, horrible run flat tires----it is now history.

It is amazing what scooters can do---don't overload, slow down in the ruff stuff. Don't expect today's new type riders.....the trailer bikers to stop and help you as you sit along the road....when in bind, I have been helped by the GoldWing Types who really ride or BMW riders. I stop and check on all stranded riders as we used to do

Last in addition to tools/know bike.....make sure any add on electric stuff you really understand and know how to by pass it to get home.

Test tool selection at home to make sure you really have what you need.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 7:03 am

john grinsel wrote:
In addition to above mentioned stuff, complete set of sockets/wrenches/ that allow front and rear wheel removal. Remember muffler/exhaust pipe packings (spare). Tire irons, centerstand leg can be used as bead breaker

Even if you cannot do/fix yourself with proper tools somebody may be able to help you. No tools=no go.

On tire pump, make sure you can reach valve stem, at home.

Little can of WD 40 can come in handy.

Most important keep bike in tip top shape-----I have ridden to some out of the way places---James Bay/North Cap in Norway/Central America.....and always ridden back.

Knowing your machine, carrying shop manual helps in pinch......or you can do like the cars that seem to be on market for yuppies---call somebody---my new BMW came with no jack/no spare/lug wrench, horrible run flat tires----it is now history.

It is amazing what scooters can do---don't overload, slow down in the ruff stuff. Don't expect today's new type riders.....the trailer bikers to stop and help you as you sit along the road....when in bind, I have been helped by the GoldWing Types who really ride or BMW riders. I stop and check on all stranded riders as we used to do

Last in addition to tools/know bike.....make sure any add on electric stuff you really understand and know how to by pass it to get home.

Test tool selection at home to make sure you really have what you need.

If there's any room left perhaps a rider too!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 10:47 am

In addition to many of the items previously mentioned, I also carry a pint of Courvoisier. Stranded in the boonies?...snake bites?...rescue by a Bond girl?...ya just never know!...
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 10:59 am

John does bring up one point I can agree with him on (only one),
But I bet its something we never thought of before...

There is no reason we can't keep our Silverwing shop manual with us, in pdf format, on a smart phone that can read it.

If you are handy enough to use the manual in an emergency, than why not?
It takes up just a few megs on the phone and is searchable.

Of course now John will suggest we keep a spare charged phone battery on the bike at all times. Laughing

Dan
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 11:30 am

Update:
http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/street/fsc600%20'02-'04/2002-2004%20fsc600%20silverwing.pdf

Open in your MSIE. Go to FILE-->Save As, and save it where you like.

Dan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 3:34 am

I would like to see photos of the places you expect to travel. Seems like you will need a space suit and oxygen for travels on the moon. C'mon you are planning to ride on this planet on one of the most reliable scoots available. Sure, take whatever you think you might need but you won't need most of it- and that's good. You will need toilet paper for those bathrooms in several of the states but not a great excess, just a roll or two, maybe. (be sure to take it in with you)
I have traveled over 84000 mi on the same scooter without a breakdown in a bunch of states because the beast is reliable and is maintained when close to home. On the road it just runs and runs. Try it. You will like it. Oh, yes, when in doubt, take money.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 6:10 am

I agree, pre-tour preparation is easier than roadside maintenance. The old saying "take half as much gear, and twice as much money" is good advice.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 11:04 am

I Xerox'd the Wiring Diagram from my shop manual and keep it in a plastic document protector stashed under the seat. It has come in very useful a few times. I also carry a small digital multi meter I picked up from Harbor Freight for $1.99. It's small, accurate & not worth the worry if it gets lost (after its done its roadside job).
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 2:05 pm

Having checked out my 'Wing' I found I carry a camera!!!! And a coppers extendable baton!!!! Someone messes with me and I'll have your headlights or kneecaps! They can take their pick!! Evil or Very Mad Amazing what you actually have in the various pockets until you check! affraid
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 2:32 pm

x

Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 2:52 pm

To all forum members:

I humbly and sincerely apologize if encouraging this direction has made anyone feel uncomfortable. Sometimes the road to perdition is paved with good intentions, and I honestly felt this would have been a perfectly legal team effort to benefit all that contributed.

Dan Spevack
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 2:55 pm

realbtl wrote:
Damn, almost forgot the baling wire. It will definitely work for things the duct tape won't fix. I keep some in my '63 Beetle and have used it along with some rope to limp home with a broken throttle cable. Put a loop of wire around the arm on the carb then rope out the back looped around the bumper and up to the side window. Not very responsive but it works.

That's quite an interesting picture. You could have tied it to the door and then open the door to accelerate . affraid Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 4:54 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 4:55 pm

Meldrew wrote:
I agree, pre-tour preparation is easier than roadside maintenance. The old saying "take half as much gear, and twice as much money" is good advice.

This is very good advice. I need to use this as a guide when packing.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 5:31 pm

I will admit to being somewhat perplexed about the need to carry the service manual and a tool box. Yes, I understand that anything can happen, you could run into a tree and get buggered by a grizzley bear... You could crack a head and need the mining tools to get the ore out of the ground, fire up that bauxite smelter and set up the small cylinder head sand cast to work. Then set up the portable milling machine to work the final touches to finish it off before installing the new head on your bike.... Razz

Most folks when asked why a Honda? invariably reply something along the lines of reliability, bullet proof, it's a Honda, blah, blah, blah... Yet I need to carry the service manual with me when I go on my 90 mile round trip?

Rode from Alabama to Minnesota in two days to attend a funeral then back to Alabama in three days (stopped for a visit in Iowa). Number of tools toted other than the kit that came with the bike: zero (0). I needed room for the suit. Foolish? Possibly, but it is a Honda.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
larryinseattle
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 5:41 pm

jdeereanton wrote:
I will admit to being somewhat perplexed about the need to carry the service manual and a tool box. Yes, I understand that anything can happen, you could run into a tree and get buggered by a grizzley bear... You could crack a head and need the mining tools to get the ore out of the ground, fire up that bauxite smelter and set up the small cylinder head sand cast to work. Then set up the portable milling machine to work the final touches to finish it off before installing the new head on your bike.... Razz

Most folks when asked why a Honda? invariably reply something along the lines of reliability, bullet proof, it's a Honda, blah, blah, blah... Yet I need to carry the service manual with me when I go on my 90 mile round trip?

Rode from Alabama to Minnesota in two days to attend a funeral then back to Alabama in three days (stopped for a visit in Iowa). Number of tools toted other than the kit that came with the bike: zero (0). I needed room for the suit. Foolish? Possibly, but it is a Honda.

I agree with you. I do carry a socket set and some basic wrenches and a nice screw driver set.... but I have never had to use them.

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 5:52 pm

jdeereanton wrote:

Whoooo Hoooooooooo, sense at last.

No trailer with mobile welder and tyre fitting kit no toolbox no service manual.

Just a rider - riding.

100% respect Dale. Yooo da man. Laughing
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 6:01 pm

And that damn bear will think twice before he contemplates that again. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
realbtl
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
realbtl

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 6:20 pm

Hoo boy this thread did take off in some interesting directions. Sorry about that, I was just asking for ideas to fix the niggling/simple things that might happen.

dspevack wrote:
realbtl wrote:

That's quite an interesting picture. You could have tied it to the door and then open the door to accelerate . affraid Twisted Evil

I learned this lesson the hard way when I was young and stupid (but I repeat myself) and was driving Beetles the first time around. Broke a throttle cable in the middle of nowhere at night and luckily found a barely long enough piece of rope beside the road about 1/4 mile away.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 6:38 pm

I'm not into fiddling with the oily bits at all, I've toured for years and as long as a service has been recently done, and the tyres have plenty of tread that's about it for me. I carry a few bit's and pieces in a kit I made up, I also carry spare bulbs and an Aerostich First Aid kit. Which reminds me I'll have to remove all the tablets and pills which are out of date.

In the past I've had the odd dodgy tyre valve causing deflation problems, so I now carry spares valves stored inside the barrel of an empty Pilot G-1 pen. The metal end cap and dust cap holds everything securely. Another 'pen' has bits of fine gauge wire inside, and another talcum powder to dust my sweaty hands with if I'm struggling to put on rubber or vinyl gloves.

Last edited by Meldrew on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 6:49 pm

I carried a few useful, (to me,) bibs and bobs in and around my Beetle when I owned one.

Welding rod in engine compartment for getting into the thing when I (frequently) locked myself out!!! 50 odd pounds lead shot, (weight), so keep the front end down. It got very light on the steering when the fuel decreased. Bicycle brake cable for the odd snapped cables!! Rolls of 'Gaffa' tape to keep the thing together. One inch drive T bar for the 36mm socket needed to remove the brake drum, the T bar doubled as a great hammer - extension bar - and general frustration tool!!!!

Various mods on the VW, clear fuel tubing to help clear the rear window when it fogged up.

Made a air duct under the No 3 piston to assist with cooling, it was prone to overheating.

Re manufactured the heating ducts out of GRP as the metal ducts rotted completely.

It was without fear of contradiction the biggest money magnet ever - but it was a great car to learn from.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Essential tools for traveling   TOOLS - Essential tools for traveling I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Essential tools for traveling
Page 1 of 1