Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Left brake micro-switch
Air Filter Again I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Today at 8:47 am

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Air Filter Again I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 8:11 am

» Silverwing Brakes
Air Filter Again I_icon_minitimeby Silverwingdays Today at 6:20 am

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Air Filter Again I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Air Filter Again I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Air Filter Again I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Air Filter Again I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Air Filter Again I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Air Filter Again I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Air Filter Again I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Air Filter Again

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Air Filter Again Empty
PostSubject: Air Filter Again   Air Filter Again I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 6:59 pm

Hi All,
Here I am again with this air filter thingy. Was wondering about drilling the cover when I put it back on. I've read about the pros and cons and when I looked at the back of the filter itself I wondered if drilling was really worth it. That screen and the metal piece with all the holes in it seems to be pretty limiting. Has anyone worked any mathematical figures as to the amount of air coming in through the air tube and the amount that can be processed through the filter assembly itself?

I suppose it's maybe all variable but really questioned my delayed decision as to whether to drill or not. What meager numbers that I could come up with were the filter in and out figures (27.75"sq. front and +/- 15"sq. back). I guess the critical number would be the area of the incoming tube and how much air it can process; that's the part I wonder about but don't know. Anyway... any further thoughts???
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

Air Filter Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Again   Air Filter Again I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 8:23 pm

I did the air filter box modification about three years ago and except for a little more throaty sound I can't tell you for sure that it made any difference.I also removed the tube from inside the box.Before drilling I went the local ACE hardware store and purchased plastic plugs that I could fill in the holes.I believe I used a 7/8 hole saw and purchased 1'' plugs to fill in the(6) holes.
Experiment on some material before drilling out the box.My main concern was running in a lean condition.I have removed the spark plugs on occasion and they appear normal. The MAP sensor should take of this. Also if your s/wing has a 02 sensor this would even be better. Howard
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Air Filter Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Again   Air Filter Again I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 10:55 pm

Thanks for the reply Howard,
I decided to put the filter back in that I'd cleaned up plus drilled a few (six?) 1/4" holes on the flat just above the "bulge" on the case; more for curious experimentation than anything else. Anyway, the engine started fine and ran well too; still no dying out like I experienced a week ago, plus wanted to prevent any possile 'lean' problems like you mentioned.

If I get real lucky, maybe the weather will warm up a bit and I can take it out for a real test. Will keep y'all posted.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Air Filter Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Again   Air Filter Again I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 10:11 pm

I doubt it but I'll ask the question anyway... Can the stock SWing muffler be modified in any way without destroying the basic shell???
Back to top Go down
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-10-27

Air Filter Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Again   Air Filter Again I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 8:24 am

What year were the mufflers made Cat?
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453

Air Filter Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Again   Air Filter Again I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 6:19 pm

DickO wrote:
Can the stock SWing muffler be modified in any way without destroying the basic shell???

When I put my Silvewing on the dynometer, they had to place a small flexible pipe through the muffler to get an accurate exhaust gas measurement.

I believe the rear pipe near the exhaust is perforated, because it took them a couple of times to get the flexible pipe through.

I seem to remember reading a long time ago that someone with and older model, the internal pipe disintegrated which they thought it improved the pressure at the exhaust.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Air Filter Again Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Filter Again   Air Filter Again I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Air Filter Again
Page 1 of 1