Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» OE Quality Drive Belt
Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» I said Farewell...
Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:52 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Tupperware Tab repair?

Go down 
+6
jdeereanton
john123
Cosmic_Jumper
NWSSC
DickO
Ishkatan
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Tupperware Tab repair? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tupperware Tab repair?   Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 1:58 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Tupperware Repair Update:

BTW if you're going to use ABS Cement stick with the ABS-specific cement, not the ABS / PVC cement.

Drat, I got the ABS/PVC glue - only ABS glue they had in the store. Have not gotten to it but I guess that can goes back, or stays on the shelf, while I get the correct stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Tupperware Tab repair?   Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 10:03 pm

Tupperware Repair Update:

Another product that can be used for tupperware repair is "Kleer Strip liquid paint Stripper". It's usually available at a good hardware store like Ace or True Value for about $10.50/qt.

It contains 70-85% Methylene Chloride which is also used as an acrylic cement as well as in Plastex

Kleer Strip won't be as thick as ABS plumbing cement so it may be a bit easier to use with fiberglass, drywall, joint tape.

BTW if you're going to use ABS Cement stick with the ABS-specific cement, not the ABS / PVC cement.

And DO sand the paint off the back side of the joint before applying the chemical(s).
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Tupperware Tab repair?   Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 12:09 pm

Had to repair screw tab on my '11 (yep, you read that right, broke already) on the piece that covers the windshield screws. Used some JB Stick and it seems to work okay (though gloves are a must - it took me longer to get the residue off my hands than it took to repair)

On another note, accidentally punched a couple holes in the butt pad when installing Utopia backrest. Fixed it with a vinyl repair kit but it left bulges where the kit;s hot iron was used.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Tupperware Tab repair?   Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 11:14 am

I do acrylic nails as a profession on ladies and I must say the stuff I use works the best mixing liquid acetate with acrylic powder applied with a brush, you can buy at Sallys beauty supply
Back to top Go down
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Tupperware Tab repair?   Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 9:35 am

I am done with my project of repairing the broken tabs and making 1 bracket that was lost and I am very pleased with the results.
I used the ABS and tape method. The vibration I was getting, came from the right side of the Tupperware where a bracket was missing. I had a bit of a scare as I was installing the whole piece back on the scooter though. After hearing the familiar snap, crackle and pop I looked down and saw a large broken piece on the ground. I removed everything and started looking for something missing on the Tupperware or scooter. Nothing!
I reassembled everything again and after the job was completely done, I realized that the piece was actually the part I had made two days before. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Skippy
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Skippy

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Tupperware Tab repair?   Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 6:04 am

Looks like somebody beat me to it! I used to work in a motorcycle spray shop where plastic panel repair was our bread and butter work.

I used an ordinary 35-40 watt soldering iron with a tip that hat been filed down at the end to remove about half the metal - this allowed it to heat up faster but also not carry as much heat.

We found the best material to repair fairings was the same stuff i.e. strips of plastic cut from old fairings of a smilar vintage! However there is a proviso, you must remove all old paint and decal from both the area to be welded and the material you are using as a filler rod. If you don't then the weld will go brittle and crack again fairly shortly.

Using cable ties is ok, as long as the panel you are welding is made of the same plastic......... Becareful, as some plastics have a tendancy to literally evaporate in front of your eyes when heat is applied; you can tell which stuff it is, as it tends to be very soft and malable. I think, from memory, that the foot boards on a 600 Swing are moulded out of it, so be wary.

I've 'welded' whole panels back together again using the 'stitch' and 'weld' method and with excellent end results, but I did have the facility to completely refinish panels in a professional spray booth. You can get much the same at home with a little patience and practice.

In fact I'd say that practice, esp with the soldiering iron, prior to starting will make the whole job easier. You can also make securing tabs etc. and weld them on in the same way with a bit of practice. But remember you MUST remove all traces of paint etc. from the piece to be welded or it won't work long term!
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

PostSubject: Re: Tupperware Tab repair?   Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 3:49 am

Wow, the plastic welding sure looks promising and easy. I just bought the fiberglass and glue but will consider this alternative. The glue I got claims to work with ABS, PVC, etc. which makes me wonder if it will really work ...

Hopefully I will get to look at the project again this weekend and pick a technique. I really like the building up process using cable ties - I have tons of them.
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Tupperware Tab repair?   Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 2:55 pm

Try looking at this post I made on BurgmanUSA. I don't know where I first saw it, but the process works well.
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=55338&p=510129&hilit=plastic+welding#p510129

The man in the video "welds" plastic.

Chris
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Tupperware Tab repair?   Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 10:10 am

john123 wrote:
I am with Cosmic. After removing my topper where "Tupperware", because of a vibration in the front, I also found a broken piece or two. The ABS and tape work fantastic. I sanded down all areas a little first and then cleaned the area well. The next day the parts were rock hard.

John123,

Sorry It's in my blood. Smile Plus it helps others understand when the correct terms are used.

I did get a pretty good chuckle though. Laughing - No worries mate!

I do agree that the process cosmic_jumper has outlined is the best way to go. As John has verified.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
john123
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
john123

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2010-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Tupperware Tab repair?   Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 12, 2011 10:00 am

I am with Cosmic. After removing my topper where, because of a vibration in the front, I also found a broken piece or two. The ABS and tape work fantastic. I sanded down all areas a little first and then cleaned the area well. The next day the parts were rock hard.
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

PostSubject: Re: Tupperware Tab repair?   Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 11:26 pm

Thanks Cosmic_Jumper, that makes a lot of sense. Have to buy the acetone with the ABS goop - wife doesn't do her nails... Smile
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Tupperware Tab repair?   Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 11:01 pm

You can start out with a tiny wipe of acetone (nail polisher remover) to join the two pieces together. The acetone will melt the tupperware & paint finish but the two pieces will get fused together.

After the pieces are fused together you can apply ABS (not PVC) plumbing pipe adhesive to the back side of the of the joint followed by pieces of fiberglass drywall joint "tape". It's thick, black & goopy stuff that will set up in about an hour, but takes ~ 24 hours to totally cure. You can repeat as many times as you feel necessary to build up a secure repair.

The ABS cement & drywall fiberglass can be purchased from Home Depot, Lowe's, some hardware stores and many RV supply stores. However in many areas ABS plumbing for residences is not permitted and the big box stores won't carry it.

You might also try a good hobby supply store for ABS modeling panels & cement.
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

PostSubject: Re: Tupperware Tab repair?   Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 10:43 pm

Fiberglass cloth? Sounds interesting but I have no experience with anything like that. Do you have a link for material names? I can find an R/C shop. Sounds like a good research project but not a quick solution. Sigh. Maybe my bike will get winterized after all... But Epoxy sound like the way to go.

I have not had good luck with JB weld - forms a hard but brittle hunk and not real sticky. Had it pop off things or break.
Back to top Go down
NWSSC
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
NWSSC

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2010-03-03

PostSubject: Re: Tupperware Tab repair?   Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 7:52 pm

I use the same two part epoxy on the silver wing that I use on my R/C airplanes.Use a product that will set up in around ten minutes.You should be able to purchase it at your local hobby shop.Be sure to use the fiberglass cloth material on both sides of the part.It can be a little nerve racking when working on small parts,but worth it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.northwestsuburbanscooterclub.com/
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Tupperware Tab repair?   Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 7:01 pm

I've not use it myself, but some have used "J-B Weld" to do repairs with. I hear it's quite the thing. Don't know if they just use it like an epoxy glue or try to mold it into something else.
Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

PostSubject: Tupperware Tab repair?   Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 11, 2011 3:25 pm

What are the recommended methods for repairing a broken screw tab on the body work?

While removing the left skirt to change the coolant I found that I have a broken Tab where the front outer floorboard screw connects the floorboard to the front cowling. I think... that it was already broken since the screw did a lot of spinning without backing out, but it may have been me - I unscrewed the skirt from the rear. I am not sure I needed to take out the screw to remove the skirt.... but I took all the floorboard screws out.

Recommendation - if you are removing the skirt start at the front, then the rear and finish in the middle.

I am not ready to buy a whole new front cowling for one screw tab but can see the rattle growing if I don't attach this correctly. I already had quite a rattle "somewhere in front" and it was not there when I tested the bike with the skirt and left pocket removed.

I am imagining screwing my own angle iron piece or tons of epoxy... but was wondering what have others done?

Can it be done without removing the entire front cowling?

And will epoxy stick to tupperware?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tupperware Tab repair?   Tupperware Tab repair? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tupperware Tab repair?
Page 1 of 1