Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Another New Owner I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 1:08 pm

» Sinko De Mayo
Another New Owner I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Another New Owner I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» checking the oil
Another New Owner I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Another New Owner I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Another New Owner I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Another New Owner I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Another New Owner I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Another New Owner I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Another New Owner I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Another New Owner

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-10-27

Another New Owner Empty
PostSubject: Another New Owner   Another New Owner I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 8:28 pm

Of a slightly used '05 titanium with 2100 miles on it. Was sold new in '08, orig owner just didnt ride much...obviously. Picking it up in couple days and first off will be changing oil to Rotella T6 with new filter. Ordered a Givi WS tonight also.

I've been riding one thing or another since 1948; recent years mostly scooters: Helix (3), Burgmans (4), Piaggio, Majesty, and have ridden several SW's of friends. Recently traded my 400 Burgman in on a Can Am and kept my Helix when I should have traded the Helix instead. Love the Can Am but theres times and places that a two wheeler suits me better and the Helix is not so good for a longer haul...at least at my age.

Have already scoured this forum for the exc info and "how too's" and will undoubtedly be asking questions that have been asked by hundreds of guys before me. Bear with us "newbies" if you can.
Back to top Go down
carlosw
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
carlosw

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-09-09

Another New Owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another New Owner   Another New Owner I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2011 10:27 pm

Welcome and hope to see some pictures of your scoot soon...
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Another New Owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another New Owner   Another New Owner I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 4:36 am

Welcome ulflyer, look forward to your posts, with the number of previous bikes you will be able to enlighten us on a few things I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

Another New Owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another New Owner   Another New Owner I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 6:51 am

Thanks for welcome folks.

Forgot to add that i've owned 4 ultralight planes, two of which I built from a kit. The last one had a fourstroke, four cyl, air cooled engine and was a 2 seater. Became certified to train and did a little of that. Not really skilled in mechanics, but can do the basic tuning and routing maint.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

Another New Owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another New Owner   Another New Owner I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 5:31 pm

ulflyer,

Welcome to the site. What kind of UL did you have? I took some lessons with the intention of getting a Challenger some years back. I just didn't complete it. I had a great time in a RANS 12 during my training though. Welcome.
Back to top Go down
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

Another New Owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another New Owner   Another New Owner I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 8:22 pm

I took lessons in a Flightstar til I soloed and then flew a Phantom for awhile till I built my first Xair....a two seater with a 2 stroke engine. I took additioinal training so that I could teach and that made flying a 2 seater legal. Later I built another Xair with the Australian made aircraft engine and that was one sweet flying plane. MY last plane was another Phantom.
The Challenger is a fairly fast plane, even with a 503 motor but I always felt the front wheel was too weak. I flew a Rans S12 once but felt it had a lot of yaw to it. Overall ok, but not one I ever wanted. The Xair was built like a tank...shocks on all three wheels, solid wood floor, etc. Wasn't fast.....70+ wide open, but exceptionally stable and easy to fly. Used to go to fly-ins and take folks up for a ride, one after another, and most would quickly get the hang of it in the air. As you know, landing is the only hard part. ha.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Another New Owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another New Owner   Another New Owner I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 7:57 am

ulflyer, every landing you walk away from can be classed as a good one. Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

Another New Owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another New Owner   Another New Owner I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 6:44 pm

There are a couple of other riders in your area, more or less.

I am in Cornelius, and Andyman is in north Charlotte. We have gotten together for a ride a few times, and I would be happy to have you join us. I doubt there will be many more rides this year, but we can always look forward to next year. PM me anytime.

Philip
Back to top Go down
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

Another New Owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another New Owner   Another New Owner I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 7:59 pm

Thanks Philip, apprec the invite. And you're right bout the wx; not much good riding time left.....or certainly not much comfortable time. Rode over to Lexington today, 15 mi one way, and it was pretty decent, but the OE WS sure makes a lot of noise in my helmet. If I hunker down it diminished; GIVI is on the way and should be here early this coming wk.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

Another New Owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another New Owner   Another New Owner I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 11:52 pm

Ted,

I like the pic of your UL. I wish I would have finished and bought one but I think it is not in my future at this time.

I was stationed in NC sometime back and it didn't seem like it got too cold there, but I'm from Illinois where it gets cold. Can't you guys ride year around out there? I know we got snow once at Camp Lejeune but it seemed to stay pretty nice. What Givi are you getting? The standard or the Airflow?
Back to top Go down
ulflyer
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ulflyer

Another New Owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another New Owner   Another New Owner I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 5:38 am

JeffR: I'm getting the standard Givi. As to cold riding in NC, we have a fairly wide temp range. Mts get pretty cold, lots of snow. Here in my area, the piedmont, its more moderate and snowfall doesn't normally last too long...we do seem to get fair amount of sleet/ice, but again it doesnt' last too long. Eastern part of state gets little to no snow. Some of the guys I know ride all year if its clear out, regardless of temps. I'm getting in my dotage so anything much below 40F has not been comfortable, even with the Gerbing jacket and gloves.

However, one morn with temps below 40, I found that riding the Can Am is more comfortable than I expected, prob since it provides more coverage from the wind, and the radiator and oil cooler exhausts, one on each side just in front of the feet, provides some warmth. Also it has hand warmers, plus I've added some Hippo Hands which really work well. The Gerbing gloves were not needed. I'm thinking of getting a pair of the HH's for the SW.

By early PM yesterday the temps were in mid-50's and it was pretty decent on the SW and forcast for next few days call for warmer days.
Want to take advantage of these and ride the SW more while I can.

So, pack up and move on down; I'm about hour and half from Blue Ridge with lots of good riding up there and the foothills. Four hours to Asheville and western NC, or 5 hours to Myrtle Beach SC. A bit longer to the Outter Banks. Wife sells real estate and a lot of folks from northern climes have moved down.

Had to get a little commercial in............ Wink

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Another New Owner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Another New Owner   Another New Owner I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another New Owner
Page 1 of 1