Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
Our computer got a virus at home I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Our computer got a virus at home I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Our computer got a virus at home I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Our computer got a virus at home I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Our computer got a virus at home I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Our computer got a virus at home I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Our computer got a virus at home I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Our computer got a virus at home I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Our computer got a virus at home I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Our computer got a virus at home I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Our computer got a virus at home

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

Our computer got a virus at home Empty
PostSubject: Our computer got a virus at home   Our computer got a virus at home I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 10:26 am

Hi,

Well, it happened again. Our computer got a virus and I just can't seem to get it to work now. So it is off to get a new one tonight. That is why I haven't posted in a few days. I'm at work now but I try not to post at work. We got a virus a few years ago for the last computer but we could still use it, but it was slow. The power is giving out anyway, which would require a new motherboard, so it's not worth fixing this one. I'll start posting more when we get the new one.

Last edited by JeffR on Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Our computer got a virus at home   Our computer got a virus at home I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:26 am

Hi Jeff,

Sorry to here about your computer..darn virises. Just not good! Evil or Very Mad

New PC, now that's a good thing. Are you going to get an XP or Vista System? bounce

DennisB :D
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Our computer got a virus at home   Our computer got a virus at home I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:28 am

Well,

I think all computers come with Vista now...or at least I think so. We never buy the top of the line anyway, more of a middle of the roader type. The thing I buy the best of is of course the Silver Wing... :yoyo:
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Our computer got a virus at home   Our computer got a virus at home I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 7:57 pm

You can still get xp, but Microsoft stopped supporting that OS on April 14th. I think there is even a newer OS now... I think it is called "7". I may be wrong about that, but I read something a few weeks ago about it. It is probably still beta... but windows is ALWAYS beta... go figure.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Our computer got a virus at home   Our computer got a virus at home I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 11:18 pm

Well, we just brought our computer home so I'm setting it up now. At least now I can start coming on-line and posting again.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Our computer got a virus at home   Our computer got a virus at home I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 11:55 pm

If you are buying a system with a preinstalled OS, as opposed to building one, check with the company to see what deal they have with downgrading to XP, which in my opinion is a much more stable OS. (I build all my own computers)
Once you have your new computer up and running with all the latest software upgrades and all your personal software installed, use a good backup program and backup the whole thing to a DVD. This way if you get a virus again, you will have a backup.

What AV software are you using that it let a virus onto your computer?
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: Puter Virus   Our computer got a virus at home I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 10:12 am

I am curious ... do any of you use another OS besides Windows? I use Windows XP but would upgrade to Vista if my system crashed today. I don't know anything about version Win7 . How has your experience with other OSs been? Tell us about virus, system crashes and other problems if you have had any. My power supply is dying as I type. I will be down for a couple of days to do some doctoring. A transplant Power Supply is scheduled for Monday or Tuesday. Family has been called in for final respects. I know this is a little off topic, but I wasn't sure of the need of a new topic. Throw rocks at me if you want.
Gary
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Our computer got a virus at home   Our computer got a virus at home I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 11:19 am

Nothing wrong with borrowing a thread among friends. Besides, your 'jukebox'
was sick too, you didn't have a virus, but it needed a heart transplant. Good
luck withthe new pump.
I am still leary of VISTA, it is still a bit new, and I really don't trust Microsoft
too much. They seem to release crap and like us to debug it for them. I don't
like to do that for free. Suspect

Wes
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Our computer got a virus at home   Our computer got a virus at home I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 12:03 pm

I have XPPro on my home computer. Vista Ultimate on my laptop.
If you are using it for basic stuff like word processing, internet
and other current mainstream apps, there is nothing wrong with it.

However, when it comes to gaming, Vista still falls a little short
in that it doesn't (or didn't last I checked) support certain driver
standards that were out on the high end video cards.
Also certain older programs were incompatible.

I believe ever since Apple changed over to the intel chips, you can even install
an apple OS on the PC, but if that interests you I'd research it farther.

The simple truth is that XP is more mature than Vista. So for those problems
it still has, there is already software to work around it. Vista may be an
improvement in some areas, but lack workarounds for other specialty
problems.

I used to be a bleeding edge kinda guy when I started in computers.
I've learned thru trial and error (mostly error) that having the
latest and greatest is not always the best thing for reliability.

Back to Jeff's virus problem, without being insulting, what is your level of
expertise with computers? Rarely is a virus so bad you have to replace the
whole computer. If anything you can just replace the hard drive and done.

Even if you have to extract data from the old one, take out the old, install
and format the new, lay down just the OS and any updates. Install 2-3
antivirus programs like Panda, AVG, and McAffee, McAffee is the one
that comes with a trial subscription with most new windows OS installs.
The other two have free downloadable versions. Then turn off your computer
and attach the infected drive as a secondary drive. Boot up and run your
AV software on both drives. It will find and clean or delete anything infected.
Then pull what you need from the old drive onto the new one.
Then reformat the old drive just to be safe, and now you have a working
computer for the cost of a new hard drive. These days you can get a
terrabyte for about $100.

Dan
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Our computer got a virus at home   Our computer got a virus at home I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 1:10 pm

Dan,

I have a good amount of experience but since the computer had other problems I decided not to throw good money on this. The power cord was going and we had to replace the motherboard once already. With the cost of laptops so cheap now it is best to just replace it. So far I really like this new one. It is a Soney Vaio (?), I still can't figure out the name since they have a strange type of cursive on the top of the laptop.

I'm sure I could have just replaced the hard drive but then I would have to deal with the power plug and we would have to replace the motherboard again. I just think that the old laptop just didn't have a well thought out computer really. But all is well now and hope this works as it should for a few years.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: Our computer got a virus at home   Our computer got a virus at home I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 4:47 pm

Jeff,
Had no idea you were originally talking about a laptop.
Much more expensive to replace parts in a laptop than a desktop.
Glad you've solved your problem.

Dan
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Our computer got a virus at home   Our computer got a virus at home I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 5:59 pm

Personally, not being a techy "nerd" Smile like some of you folks, and not doing much else on my computers (desk and laptop) except normal, everyday emailing, Word, photos, etc, I could still be using the old Windows 95 (and whichever one came before it) and not be suffering one bit. Oh well, can't slow progress. Hope you're up and going now JeffR!
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

PostSubject: Re: Our computer got a virus at home   Our computer got a virus at home I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 7:55 pm

Everything is doing great Dick and I hope it stays that way for awhile. New computers are nice since they seem to run much faster. I really only do the net, emails, and things like that. I don't do any programming at all but will do some Excel work. I liked 95 too but it seems microsoft changes every few years.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

PostSubject: family is notified   Our computer got a virus at home I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 20, 2009 5:41 pm

Well, my son in law opened up the body and after a quick look.. closed it back up and advised putting it to sleep. Just too old and too sick to help. He will be building a new PC this week. I should get it late in the weekend. I will borrow the church pc for looking in here every day or so. I hadn't realized how many times I go to this thing. I now know that I am an addict. Ordinarily I never want to go outside and do yard work. Today that is all I have had to do. Somebody, please help me. I can't take a week of this. Oh, wait... I still have the scooter... I went brain dead for the day. Never mind... I can go riding.... gotta go.... I will get back home at dark. Thanks for reminding me.

Gary
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Our computer got a virus at home   Our computer got a virus at home I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Our computer got a virus at home
Page 1 of 1