Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Left brake micro-switch
Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems? I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Today at 1:02 am

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems? I_icon_minitimeby gustav Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems? I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Wed May 08, 2024 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems? I_icon_minitimeby COMick Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems? I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Tue May 07, 2024 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems? I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems?

Go down 
+2
JeffR_
craigory
6 posters
AuthorMessage
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2011-06-25

Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems? Empty
PostSubject: Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems?   Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 8:14 pm

I am about to order a Clearview GT Large windshield, and I'm trying to decide whether to get the vent or not. It would be great to get the air when I want it, but I'm worried that the shield will flex too much and flap at higher speeds (75mph+). I would like to hear from any people who have (or have had) the Clearview GT Large windshield with the vent. Specifically I would like to know if you have had flex problems (i.e. flapping). Thanks!
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems?   Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 07, 2011 11:40 pm

Craig,

I have had the Givi Standard, Clearview XL with vent, and now the Givi Adjustable screen and the Givi Adjustable is by far the best for me. The Clearview XL flexed very bad for me, but I only recall a couple of us having this problem. I had the vent in mine which I don't think they install anymore on the XL. It was so bad that at 70 mph the screen bent back so far that it almost touched my chin.

Hopefully others here have the Large with the vent that can chime in. But since it is about the same price as the Givi Adjustable, I would get the Givi, unless you need more wind protection. The Clearview does give the largest amount of coverage which is really nice if it is cold or rainy.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems?   Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 08, 2011 8:15 am

I have Clearview with GoldWing Vent....not their largest one....and I understand they don't supply XL with vent anymore=flex. I had to cut mine down to see over, then installed Laminar Lip to try to calm air down. Windshield is hanging on my garage wall....and I have tried to give it away several times.

GIVI adjustable works much better for SilverWing, when goal is good air management, comfort. Funny Clearview with vent solved buffeting problem with my Kawasaki Concours...after 2 tries----but didn't do much for my SilverWing other than have me getting out the saw.

Amazing how much money is wasted on aftermarket stuff, because bike/scooter makers cannot get their stuff right in first place......of course I know good wind management system would be ugly in many cases and wouldn't sell.
Back to top Go down
midlandchip
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
midlandchip

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2010-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems?   Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 12:11 am

I'm sorry to read those comments about the Clearview. I just ordered the Clearview XL without vent. Now I'm hoping it works out okay for me. I'm 6"3" and the standard windshield was/is useless. It's cute and looks nice on the bike but other than appearance it offers nothing. I am expecting the XL Clearview to enable me to ride without the wind blowing diriectly in my face. And I very seldom ride much over 60-65 so I'm not expecting flex to be an issue. We shall see.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems?   Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 12:17 am

midlandchip wrote:
I am expecting the XL Clearview to enable me to ride without the wind blowing diriectly in my face.

What type of helmet are you riding with??
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems?   Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 12:48 am

Craig,

You shouldn't have a problem at all with the Clearview w/0 the vent. When I had my XL with vent there were only a couple of us that had that problem. I live in the Bay Area of California and I didn't really notice the air coming through the vent much at all. I always ride with a jacket though so that could be one reason. I'm sure that those that ride in the areas where it is really hot may feel some of the air.

Is there a reason you aren't thinking about the Givi air-flow? I think it is a better shield than all of the ones I have used. But the Clearview will keep more air off of you, but in the hot weather you will just need to 'grin and bear it'.

Midlandchip,

You shouldn't have the same problem I had. It will keep the air off of you and give you a quiet ride and it does a bit better than the Givi standard screen in terms of buffeting. The Clearview seems to have a bit better airflow than the standard Givi. Tell us how you like it after you install it. Do you have the stock screen now?
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems?   Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems? I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2011 6:11 am

I have the clearview XL with vent. Huge flexing problems.
That's why they don't do XLs with vent anymore.
Apparently they are not having problems with flexing on the
next size down, since they are still selling them with the vent.

Dan
Back to top Go down
midlandchip
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
midlandchip

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2010-11-21

PostSubject: Re: Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems?   Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems? I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 01, 2012 3:45 pm

honda_silver wrote:
midlandchip wrote:
I am expecting the XL Clearview to enable me to ride without the wind blowing diriectly in my face.

What type of helmet are you riding with??

That's an interesting question. I have never thought much about types of helmets. I did a Google search on the subject and the best I can come up with is I have what would be called a half helmet. It does come with a soft leather zip in extension that covers the ears and the back of the nect. I seldom us the extension.

MidlandChip

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems?   Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Clearview GT Large w/vent - flexing problems?
Page 1 of 1