Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
Front Fork Diagnostics I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Sun May 05, 2024 9:19 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Front Fork Diagnostics I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» checking the oil
Front Fork Diagnostics I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri May 03, 2024 7:41 am

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
Front Fork Diagnostics I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
Front Fork Diagnostics I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Front Fork Diagnostics I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Front Fork Diagnostics I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Front Fork Diagnostics I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Front Fork Diagnostics I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Front Fork Diagnostics I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Front Fork Diagnostics

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Front Fork Diagnostics Empty
PostSubject: Front Fork Diagnostics   Front Fork Diagnostics I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 2:33 pm

I have a 2003 SWing. Got it when it had 17,000 miles on it this summer (San Francisco area) and now it has 18,000 - have enjoyed every mile. Don't have prior service records but the bike seems as if was well maintained by PO. But, it has some suspension issues.
1. On new/smooth asphalt it purrs along at any speed and runs true with no vibration, sway, or wobble. It has the stock windshield and I get buffeted a lot - but the bike stays rides true.
2. On many concrete freeways that are not that rough (no big pits or surface breaks), but that are not perfectly smooth (but a bit undulating), it starts to oscillate up/down a bit at 50mph, much more at 60mph, and it really gets to bucking up/down at 70mph (I won't ride these highways as truck turbulence coupled with the SWing ride dynamics is truly scary).
3. When you ride along and hit a little bump - no problem - big bump (say 1-1/2 inch rise when crossing bridge abutment) and it sends quite a jolt up the forks to the handle bar.
4. When cornering/turning at slow speeds (15-20mph) the tire seems skittish/wobbly on the road as if the tire is momentarily loosing contact then reattaching itself. I have yet to try cornering at higher speeds with some serious lean as I don't yet trust that there will not be a problem based on its low speed performance. The dealer checked out my tires (front and rear) and pronounced them in good shape with lots left on the tread.
5. When I sit on the bike and push down (with my feet on the ground and I weigh 180 pounds) the forks drop about 3/4 inches, when I hold the front brake and rock it up/down it seems to drop down about 1 inch and come back up (past the point neutral point) 1/2 inch for a total up/down of 1-1/2 inches. This does not sound like a lot - but when you are on the bike rocking it, it feels very soft and seems as if it has a lot of 'soft' travel. I have tried this on another 2003 SWing with identical mileage - and that SWing feels just like mine.
6. When I do U turns there seems to be a bit of a wobble (not much) - just not smooth (this may be due to my lack of technique).
7. I have not yet lifted the front end up to see if there is any fork play (fore/aft or left/right) - but there does not feel as if there is play (but there is a feel of some flex).

I have researched all of the posts (that I found) dealing with fork oil, springs, etc - but I still have a few questions.
a) Is my SWing front normal for year mileage?
b) Will changing fork oil likely have any impact? Could my oil be bad with so few miles on it? If so, what weight oil? My riding will be in the range of 55 to 100 degrees Fahrenheit (mostly in the 70 to 90 range).
c) Will the HyperPro springs solve any of my issues? Will they create an unduly hard feel to any parts of my ride? I don't want to end of with a real stiff bike that transmits a lot of force back through the bars. Are there any springs that I should consider that may be less costly (or better)? The HyperPro springs are listed as $170 on their website - can I get a better price/discount elsewhere?
d) Any other suggestions?
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Diagnostics   Front Fork Diagnostics I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 3:02 pm

The HyperPro springs is the way to go. They do improve ride and handling to a great extent. I have a 2005 and fitted it to HyperPro's. Also proper inflation of tires makes a difference.
Old Dave
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Diagnostics   Front Fork Diagnostics I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 3:09 pm

Regarding the ride you might start with a simpler approach. Ensure the tires are inflated to proper level and are balanced.

The slight wobble on slow turns is generally an indication of a cupped front tire. You should be able to run your hand over the surface of the tire and may feel some abnormality to the wear of the surface of the tire. If it bothers you greatly - replace the tire (it will be quieter as well as smoother.

As for the dive - sounds about normal to me. Kind of the way our 2005s' act. Replace the springs if you'd feel better about it or ride it as is.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Diagnostics   Front Fork Diagnostics I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 01, 2011 11:01 pm

Stock fork springs are pretty soft. Makes for a nice ride over bumps while going straight, but can be a nerve wracking experience in curves. That is why so many have gone to HyperPro springs. HP springs come with 20w oil.

I've found that the HP springs handle very well, but the cushy ride is gone. But, it handles the way a good fork should handle now. I used to get a big "clunk" every time I went over the curb into my driveway, and no longer have that problem. Also, turns at high speed are just that - a turn, and not a Holy **** moment. It is no longer a struggle to hold a line in a fast turn.

I would prefer the HP springs to be just a little bit softer, but given the choice between stock springs and the HP springs, I still prefer the HP springs.

Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Diagnostics   Front Fork Diagnostics I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 10, 2011 2:22 pm

Thanks to all that responded. I recently tried pumping the forks on a new SilverWing at the dealer and they felt much like my forks (maybe a tad stiffer - but not by much). I keep the tires properly inflated (now), get them balanced but only when replacing tires, and replace front tire when it is worn out - not just for minor cupping. I can barely feel any cupping on my front tire and can not see it - which is not the case with my back tire which has cupping that I can see when I look at the bike - but my dealer said my rear tire cupping was within acceptable limits and they would not recommend that I change the rear tire - plus I can't afford to replace a tire every time it gets minor cupping. I have concluded that my SWing front end is within normal limits; however, normal does not necessarily mean acceptable - the front springs are too loose, bottom out, present cornering issues, and give me a big DONK whenever I go over a 1" ridge - even at slow speeds. Seems as if my options are going with the PVC spacer and heavier weight fork oil OR installing the HyperPro springs - may start with the spacer but am convinced that best option for me is the HyperPro springs. But my first expenditure priority is getting a GIVI AF214 Airflow adjustable windshield so that I am not blown around behind the stock Honda windshield like a rag doll at speed (50 to 70 mph)! Insofar as my other issues noted in my post, I am learning to adjust and adapt as each week they seem more minor than the week before. Again, thanks for the input on this post and in general for the the forum members that so freely share their experience and suggestions!
Back to top Go down
J.R.
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
J.R.

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Diagnostics   Front Fork Diagnostics I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 10:23 am

Dimond, there was no mention of rear shock setting. You might want to go up one number at a time to see if it helps anything. Rear tire is my guess for slow speed turn problem. Hope this helps, J.R.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front Fork Diagnostics   Front Fork Diagnostics I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front Fork Diagnostics
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Silver Wing Topics-
Jump to: