Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Winter storage I_icon_minitimeby john grinsel Today at 10:31 am

» New to Me Swing
Winter storage I_icon_minitimeby Mech 1 twa Yesterday at 10:47 pm

» I said Farewell...
Winter storage I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Yesterday at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Winter storage I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:05 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Winter storage I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Winter storage I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Winter storage I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Winter storage I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Winter storage I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Winter storage I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Winter storage

Go down 
+2
Waspie
cjuzda
6 posters
AuthorMessage
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-05-16

Winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Winter storage   Winter storage I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 11:52 am

Living in the Great White North, eh, I'm looking for tips and advice on storage. I did a search on winter aand storage but came up empty.

Storing yourself:

What is required in terms of preparing the Swing for storage? Battery, Oil, Gas, etc. ? I hope to ride to near the end of November and start up again in April. I would also be able to start and run it periodically if this is advisable?

What should I look for if I decide to store it at a shop instead of on my own?

Thanks!

Chris
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter storage   Winter storage I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 11:54 am

Nothing from me.

365 day riding period normally for me! Ice stops me but normally only for a day or three! Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter storage   Winter storage I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 12:14 pm

Gloating - not too helpful Smile

Trust me, you wouldn't be winter riding here!

I forgot to add that My garage is not heated but is attached to the house so does not get quite as cold as outdoors - garage temp could go down to minus 20 C or minus 5 or 10 F

Waspie wrote:
Nothing from me.

365 day riding period normally for me! Ice stops me but normally only for a day or three! Laughing
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter storage   Winter storage I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 12:25 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:11 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3297
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter storage   Winter storage I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 12:39 pm

Running now and then not good idea, unless you go for 25 mile ride.

Follow BigBird-----in additional I would change oil on day I store, spring run 100 miles or so and change oil again. These modern batteries hold a charge a long time......disconnected from bike. I am from far north.....when living there never put bike up, as there are days/times you can use. Salt=BAD.
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter storage   Winter storage I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 1:46 pm

Thanks bigbird, I figured you have the answers for this one. What about anti freeze? My Swing is 2006 - 5,000 Kms - I don't believe anti freeze has been changed

Thanks

bigbird wrote:
cjuzda wrote:

What is required in terms of preparing the Swing for storage? Battery, Oil, Gas, etc. ? I hope to ride to near the end of November and start up again in April. I would also be able to start and run it periodically if this is advisable?

What should I look for if I decide to store it at a shop instead of on my own?

Hi Chris. I have a similar setup as yours with an unheated attached garage.

Here's what I do.
On the last riding day of the season, fill up the Swing with fresh gas, add some SeaFoam or StaBil to the gas, and go for a long enough ride to get the oil warm.
Put the bike on its centre stand, change the oil and filter, start the engine to let the new oil circulate for about 1 minute, and shut the engine off.
Remove the battery, leave it in a cool spot in the house, and put it on a battery tender type device once a month over the storage period.
Leave the Swing on the centre stand and sit on it occasionally in the winter to remind yourself what a ridiculous climate we live in.
Next spring, pop in the battery, cycle the ignition 2-3 times before starting to bring up the fuel pressure, and away you go. Don't forget to bring your tire pressures back up to spec.

If you don't have to, don't store it at a shop. It costs too much, they say they'll keep the battery on a tender, and they won't.
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter storage   Winter storage I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 1:47 pm

I'm guessing we're not talking "far north" of the same country ! Wink

john grinsel wrote:
Running now and then not good idea, unless you go for 25 mile ride.

Follow BigBird-----in additional I would change oil on day I store, spring run 100 miles or so and change oil again. These modern batteries hold a charge a long time......disconnected from bike. I am from far north.....when living there never put bike up, as there are days/times you can use. Salt=BAD.
Back to top Go down
toolboxjesse
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
toolboxjesse

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-05-13

Winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter storage   Winter storage I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 2:04 pm

Just to clarify what cjuzda said, that i agree with completely - The reason you want to change your oil is so the old oil that is full of corrosive deposits won't have a chance to damage the rubber seals nor cause varnish to build up. I would definitely use sta-bil, not sure of seafoam has the properties needed to keep the fuel from breaking down.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

Winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter storage   Winter storage I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 2:39 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter storage   Winter storage I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 4:40 pm

I am from northern WI---bikes can be still used in winter. Hondas do start when real cold, have always ridden all winter, lived in Germany/Japan/Korea/Italy/US. In south now and it sucks----dangerous to ride anyday.....and then there are the dirty bathrooms and really horrible fast food.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter storage   Winter storage I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 4:40 pm

I am from northern WI---bikes can be still used in winter. Hondas do start when real cold, have always ridden all winter, lived in Germany/Japan/Korea/Italy/US. In south now and it sucks----dangerous to ride anyday.....and then there are the dirty bathrooms and really horrible fast food.
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter storage   Winter storage I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 5:41 pm

Thanks bigbird!

[quote="bigbird"][quote="cjuzda"]What about anti freeze? My Swing is 2006 - 5,000 Kms - I don't believe anti freeze has been changed

Thanks
cjuzda wrote:

The owner's manual says to change antifreeze every 2 years. Yours is definitely due.
Use the Honda Type 2 premix (blue). It may be cheaper at a Honda auto dealership than at a Powersports. Or not. It's the same stuff.
Follow the service manual exactly for the procedure to get rid of any trapped air. It's easy to do.
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter storage   Winter storage I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 5:48 pm

I'm familiar with Wisconsin weather. In Ontario, the problem is very low temps plus a highly fluctuating temperature, so yes, on some days it can warm up enough to ride but side streets are almost always covered with snow/ice and main roads are absolutely covered in pure salt/salt water running in the streets. NOBODY rides here in Dec, Jan, Feb. The odd person will get their bike out if the weather holds for a couple of days and the roads finally dry out but to me it's not worth it if I just have to store it again for another month.

Come on Global Warming! Laughing

john grinsel wrote:
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

Winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter storage   Winter storage I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 6:49 pm

What I read on BurgmanUSA is that rodents have a tendency to like openings on scooters that aren't used in the winter. They make nice cozy homes once filled with straw and grass. I'm not sure if that's a problem on a Silverwing, or not.

Chris
Back to top Go down
cjuzda
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter storage   Winter storage I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 8:51 pm

Based on my experience with rodents (mice) I doubt they are concerned about the brand! Laughing

Daboo wrote:
What I read on BurgmanUSA is that rodents have a tendency to like openings on scooters that aren't used in the winter. They make nice cozy homes once filled with straw and grass. I'm not sure if that's a problem on a Silverwing, or not.

Chris
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Winter storage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Winter storage   Winter storage I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Winter storage
Page 1 of 1