Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» I said Farewell...
Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Today at 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Today at 5:05 am

» LF extended back rest
Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 2:21 pm

» New to Me Swing
Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 10:56 am

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby bkr62rsk Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:28 am

» Drive belt prices
Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:28 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:37 am

» Rear shock longevity
Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

» For Sale - New 26g Dr Pulley Sliders
Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby welshman in canada Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:37 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing.

Go down 
+20
Silverwingdays
GHM-PM
Easyrider
bikehiker
Cosmic_Jumper
exavid
Roadman45LC
Meldrew
hotwings
Greysilver
DerrillW
cotetoi
barnstormer37
Eldon
Opalsboy
JeffR
DickO
DennisB
jdeereanton
forgitaboutut
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing.   Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 2:51 pm

First topic message reminder :

swing With both Honda and Harley-Davidson there is crossover meaning that you can put inexpensive car parts on either bike. If you are on a road trip on your Silver Wing you should change your oil filter and change it often. Instead of going to the Honda Dealer (they are not open on Sunday and Monday anyway) mosey on over to the nearest Wal Mart and buy an oil filter for a 2009 Honda Civic. The part number is Super Tech ST7317. It slides right in. Screw in the ST7317 by hand as tight as you can. It is longer than OEM so to remove it you will have to have an oil filter wrench like they use on boats. That means more or less a pair of pliers where the nose is shaped like an oil filter.
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Silverwingdays
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2017-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing.   Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2019 7:04 pm

Well on my Diesel 4 wheelers machine although lowish miles and a decent engine, change the oil and ride round the corner and things are already blacking up.

I realised today that the drop in performance on my SW was very real, but not the filter as I feared, I had left the hand brake on for my quick round the block ride, the bike was jiggling a bit as I took the drain bolt out.

Went to the dealers today and bought a proper Honda filter to bung on soon for £13, you can get the Hi Flo Ones for under £6 delivered so you can see the attraction.

But that little button is so much further back in the Honda one than the Hi Flo.

Another oldie twit going on today !!! I checked the oil before going to the dealer and just left the plug/dipstick sat in to re check once more settled. Jumped on the bike to go, started it and an odd noise straight away as the Dipstick/plug flew out and the engine sounded odd. Luckily !!!

Cleaned it up and popped it in and away, the bike ran lovely all day.

Had one of those car horn blaring at me moments as I went round a corner and was horn blasted by a panicking driver, loads of room etc, no one needing to move or anything. What a flippin loud horn.

And for what ? more likely, to cause an accident. A car coming round might not have been lent over but probably actually a good bit closer to them.

Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1381
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing.   Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2019 8:25 pm

Stuff happens. Live and learn.

Diesel turns oil very black very sooty that's normal. Ride On.
Back to top Go down
Silverwingdays
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2017-06-05

PostSubject: Re: Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing.   Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 16, 2019 6:11 pm

Well popped in some castrol power one 10w 40 for a try and a Honda filter and I have to say the old bike does`nt seem to like the Castrol at all. I mean really.

Very odd but its feels like it has to work far harder than with the motul 10w40.

I`ll run the castrol for 2k then pop back over to Motul.

Also as browney a lot easier to see on the dipstick plus a far better set up pull out nozzle wise on the small or large Motul bottles so no funnel needed with Motul, the Castrol 4L you need one.

You do indeed live and learn.

Honda filter and motul, the older way to go for me.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4176
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing.   Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 5:12 am

I used Castrol Power One 10w-30 for the last three years of my Silver Wing ownership and I couldn’t detect any discernible difference from the 10w-40 oils from Silkolene and Motul I'd used in the years before.

Now I'm running the 300 Forza, oil changes and services are at 8000 miles intervals. Smaller oil capacity, an easily accessible oil filter on the side, and currently it's a genuine  Honda filter that’s on there.

The surplus Champion oil filters I had for the Silver Wing are also the recommended ones for the Forza, so I'll use them in future.

When I was in farklng mode I did look into getting a magnetic sump plug for the Forza, as it's a proper steel one, but the sump plug threads are at least twice the length of normal replacement magnetic sump plugs.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2555
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing.   Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing. - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2019 7:52 am

Oil and filters are some of the most subjective things on this forum and get people stirred up usually. Do a search on here and see. Use the oil and filters YOU want and all should be well.  That said my SWing does prefer some oils over others. This was especially true of my Gold Wing with it's wet clutch.

My Kawasaki KLR 650 loved Rotella T 15W-40 but when I put it in my SWing it did not run as good and used a pint between changes. Never used any oil before or since. Find one you are happy with and stick with it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing.   Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing. - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Replacement oil filter for Honda Silver Wing.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2