Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» checking the oil
Western IL ride Macomb, Carthage, Nauvoo, Dallas City.  I_icon_minitimeby Boating123 Today at 6:48 pm

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
Western IL ride Macomb, Carthage, Nauvoo, Dallas City.  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 1:08 pm

» Sinko De Mayo
Western IL ride Macomb, Carthage, Nauvoo, Dallas City.  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
Western IL ride Macomb, Carthage, Nauvoo, Dallas City.  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
Western IL ride Macomb, Carthage, Nauvoo, Dallas City.  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
Western IL ride Macomb, Carthage, Nauvoo, Dallas City.  I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
Western IL ride Macomb, Carthage, Nauvoo, Dallas City.  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
Western IL ride Macomb, Carthage, Nauvoo, Dallas City.  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
Western IL ride Macomb, Carthage, Nauvoo, Dallas City.  I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
Western IL ride Macomb, Carthage, Nauvoo, Dallas City.  I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Western IL ride Macomb, Carthage, Nauvoo, Dallas City.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
teachwisdom51
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-02-22

Western IL ride Macomb, Carthage, Nauvoo, Dallas City.  Empty
PostSubject: Western IL ride Macomb, Carthage, Nauvoo, Dallas City.    Western IL ride Macomb, Carthage, Nauvoo, Dallas City.  I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 26, 2011 6:36 pm

Beautiful day, and very dry here. From Macomb IL took the 4 lane 336 W to Carthage IL and drove around the Carthage courthouse where the trial of the killers of Mormon founder J. Smith took place(found not guilty). Just before turning N to ride along the Mississippi, went to Dadant, a company in Hamilton IL. They are one of the largest beekeeping suppliers in the country. Interesting place. I got a catalog and then after popping over and back across the bridge just to see Keokuk Iowa, I rode along the Miss. river and- no cars! Up and down along the side the river, mostly in the shade from the trees hanging from the cliffs all on the right side. Incredible old houses and views all along this ride. 15 miles later-Nauvoo is a tiny little town with the giant newly rebuilt Mormon temple(at night they illuminate and you can see it for miles). In the stores there I was asked if I was LDS? Huh, what, oh, Latter Day Saint, uh no. Very nice folks though. Ate a great buffet lunch at Grandpa's( in the old converted movie house), but my favorite meal in town is dinner at the Old Hotel Nauvoo, a huge buffet of 3 tables each like 15-20' filled with beef, fish, veggies, and lots of salads and deserts.Oh my! (Maybe early one evening I will ride over there). The serious Mormons wear nice clothes (suit tie etc.) and there are cars from all over the country there, most from out west(all of them covered in dust). If you are there for more than an hour you sill see a family pull in from CA or Utah, or NY or where ever. They get out and stretch and take in the pretty little town that is so historically important to them. Nauvoo is on a hilltop and is impressive as you ride in up the hill to reach it. Lady in the candy store told me they have thousands visit in the summer, mostly older folks, and then almost everything in town closes for winter(Jan). Swing worked great-couple people asked me about it. I ride in full gear, moto pants jacket, helmet. Wear shorts underneath and peel all this stuff and change shoes so I can walk around and look/feel normal. Everything except the jacket fits under the seat. Then rode from Nauvoo to Dallas City thru beautiful hilly farm country. In Dallas City headed to the Mississippi and there is a rock that celebrates a speech given by Lincoln, unfortunately the Democrats had burned the wooden riser built for his speech. Beautiful hills and few cars lead me to LaHarpe and home. Maybe 100-125 miles total? About 50 mpg. 4 hr trip. Will do it again. Fun and relaxing and some amazing history. Need to bring a camera next time.
Back to top Go down

Western IL ride Macomb, Carthage, Nauvoo, Dallas City.
Page 1 of 1