Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Q re: valve clearance check I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:29 pm

» Goodbye guys
Q re: valve clearance check I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:27 pm

» noise under load
Q re: valve clearance check I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Q re: valve clearance check I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Q re: valve clearance check I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Q re: valve clearance check I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Q re: valve clearance check I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Q re: valve clearance check I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Q re: valve clearance check I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Q re: valve clearance check I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Q re: valve clearance check

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Q re: valve clearance check Empty
PostSubject: Q re: valve clearance check   Q re: valve clearance check I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 12:45 pm

As you might recall from past posts, I see by the magic owners' manual that the 24K service is due on my machine. Was quoted $650 for the service by the local Honda dealer. Reviewed the service manual and resolved to do most of it myself...it's not that complicated, for the most part.

Except the valve clearance check. Don't really want to try that.

I'm wondering if those of you who have done the 24K valve clearance check observed that the valve shims were due for replacement or if everything was within spec. I was thinking of putting off the valve clearance check until 30K or so.
Back to top Go down
JamieB
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
JamieB

Number of posts : 223
Registration date : 2011-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Q re: valve clearance check   Q re: valve clearance check I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 12:53 pm

Hi Bob,

My bike had done 16500 miles when i bought it from a good dealer who i know.

I asked him about the valves as they were due to be inspected, he told me there was no need to check them simply by the sweet noise of the engine.

Done 19500 miles now and still sounds sweet as a nut, i think a lot of people on here will tell you this.
Back to top Go down
Daboo
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Daboo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2009-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Q re: valve clearance check   Q re: valve clearance check I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 4:30 pm

+1 to everything bigbird wrote.

I have a Burgman 400. Not the same bike at all, but it too has the shims for adjusting the valves. I put mine off till around 35,000 miles...well past the 14,000 mile point called out in the service manual. I did find one that needed to be changed. While I had it all open and torn apart, I changed one of the other shims so it wouldn't need to be checked for some time yet.

I'm guessing that the hardest part of the job is simply getting the body panels removed to gain access. After that, if you know how to use a feeler gauge, you can check them yourself.

The problem of ignoring them, is just what bigbird said. You can burn up a valve. The cost of repairing that is more than most of us would want to face. It's worth it to check them. Once you've done it once, you'll realize it isn't that hard and will do it regularly after that.

BTW, write down what your clearance was for each valve. When you check it again, you'll have a better idea how quickly they are changing and in what direction.

Chris
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Q re: valve clearance check   Q re: valve clearance check I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 5:24 pm

My take on valve adj on SilverWing----I didn't do it, just rode. Let somebody else worry. I get new bike each year, but ride a lot.

My Suzuki GS500E----I checked clearance at 1200 miles=ok. 15 months later with 64,000 miles, still running fine and traded. My Citroen BX Diesel (shims) went 400,000 km with no look at valves.

With Suzuki GS500E, I figured it was cheap bike with warranty---let Suzuki worry about it if anything happened.

Of scooters, Helix had easiest valve adjustment. Could be done in motel parking lot, quick on cold engine. Reflex as I recall used same system, but finding TDC more difficult. Too bad SilverWing and others involve so much expense-----Worst being my TMAX.

Often dealers can screw up operation more than just leaving things alone.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Q re: valve clearance check   Q re: valve clearance check I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 5:26 pm

john grinsel wrote:

Often dealers can screw up operation more than just leaving things alone.

+1
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

PostSubject: Re: Q re: valve clearance check   Q re: valve clearance check I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 11, 2011 6:59 pm

That's sort of what I'm worried about...when you're the only Honda shop around, who's going to do the quality control check on your work?

I'll probably take it in in the next month or two, but I must admit I'm in no hurry to do so...

Hiya, Daboo!!
Back to top Go down
Jinglebob
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Jinglebob

PostSubject: Re: Q re: valve clearance check   Q re: valve clearance check I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2011 10:08 am

Wise words...lots of independent service shops around, but don't know if they're familiar with SWings or whether I trust them with it...

I'll get this figured out...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Q re: valve clearance check   Q re: valve clearance check I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Q re: valve clearance check
Page 1 of 1