Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» YSS rear shocks for sale
viaiator performance options I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Today at 12:11 pm

» checking the oil
viaiator performance options I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 9:46 am

» Hobbies? (Besides maxi scooters, of course?)
viaiator performance options I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
viaiator performance options I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Sat May 04, 2024 4:11 pm

» Poor man’s Power Commander: IAT Sensor modification (Intake Air Temp Sensor)
viaiator performance options I_icon_minitimeby gavinfdavies Fri May 03, 2024 3:33 am

» Sinko De Mayo
viaiator performance options I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu May 02, 2024 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
viaiator performance options I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Thu May 02, 2024 4:42 am

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
viaiator performance options I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
viaiator performance options I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
viaiator performance options I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

viaiator performance options

Go down 
+2
dspevack
The Scootist
6 posters
AuthorMessage
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

viaiator performance options Empty
PostSubject: viaiator performance options   viaiator performance options I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 5:26 pm

Well, now that I have my new (replacement) Swing I need to replace the various performance modifications I had added to the previous model. My question nor is what to do about the variator. I have been averaging around 55 mpg so far and am very pleased with that. I don't want to totally kill my mpg's, but I would like to have a bit better low end accelleration. A while back there was been a lot of discussion regarding the J Costa variator. A lot of people had problems. I had one with about 18,000 miles on it when my bike was wrecked, but I had noted that it wasn't doing its job as well as itdid at first. It seemed to "stick" at higher rpms and as a result my gas mileage had dropped from the low to mid 50's mpg to the mid to low 40's mpg. The performance was still pretty impressive, but the drop in gas mileage was a concern.

So, now I am evaluating options that would improve the low end power without totally trashing my gas mileage. I know that several of you (JeffR) had installed the Dr Pulley Sliders a while back and seemed to be pretty pleased with them. So, my question to you is, what do you think of them now? Do they still seem to give you more low end accelleration? What is the effect on gas mileage?

Also, has anyone tried the Polini variator? Dan Spevak, you seem to have a lot of information about these sort of things. What do you know about the Polini? Are you aware of its performance or reliability?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
DCC
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: viaiator performance options   viaiator performance options I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 7:09 pm

From what I remember, a few people tried the polini with no reported improvement in either perfomance or gas mileage. Unconfirmed reports were that polini was actually making them for Honda, making it a lateral move at best, and a pointless waist of money at worst.

Might I suggest that you look at the power commander. PC regulates
the air-fuel mixture. Leaning out the mixture may improve your gas
mileage, and you can choose in what range you want fuel efficiency and
what range you want power.

Dan
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: viaiator performance options   viaiator performance options I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 9:24 pm

The Scootist wrote:
So, now I am evaluating options that would improve the low end power without totally trashing my gas mileage. I know that several of you (JeffR) had installed the Dr Pulley Sliders a while back and seemed to be pretty pleased with them. So, my question to you is, what do you think of them now? Do they still seem to give you more low end accelleration? What is the effect on gas mileage?

All of the Dr Pulley Sliders regardless of weight reduced the highway RPMs by about 400 RPMs.

The different weights Dr Pulley Sliders 24, 26 ... I have 31 grams effect the acceleration. The lighter the weights the faster the acceleration.

I have been running the Dr Pulley Sliders for a lot of miles with no problems. That would be my first suggested change.

Another option to improve acceleration could be the Dr Pulley HIT clutch with appropriate springs to get appropriate lockup speed.

To improve MPGs
-) Large tire like the Darkside tire, each rear revolution is more distance.
-) Power Commander
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: viaiator performance options   viaiator performance options I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 10:38 pm

honda_silver wrote:
<SNIP> The different weights Dr Pulley Sliders 24, 26 ... I have 31 grams effect the acceleration. The lighter the weights the faster the acceleration.<SNIP>

Bill

If you are using 31gm Sliders do you notice a 'hole', or lag, in acceleration?

I've noticed that it almost seems like the clutch is slipping at initial acceleration when I use 30gm Sliders and a mid range lag when I tried 35gm Sliders. All of that wit the V4 HiT Clutch. However, when I switch back to 28gm Sliders the lag disappears and the smooth acceleration returns.

I'm not all that sure that the performance lag may not be due to the need to increase the torque spring tension by using the spring "shims" that came with the HiT Clutch(s).

Waddya think?

Tim
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: viaiator performance options   viaiator performance options I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 10:44 pm

My 28 gr sliders are still doing good and I do like them still. If you want a bit more acceleration you may want the 26 gr sliders. The J. Costa gives by far the best performance and I didn't have any problems but I have read that some have. You may want to try the Malossi variator since it is more like the stock one but better performance. I had one on my Majesty and it gave better performance and about the same gas mileage.

The PC seems to make it run a bit smoother and makes it puur along and I think it gives better throttle response too. Keep up informed but if you are getting 55 mpg I would keep it as is. I wish I was getting 55 mpg, although I'm getting right at 50 if I do the speed limit.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: viaiator performance options   viaiator performance options I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 11:27 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
If you are using 31gm Sliders do you notice a 'hole', or lag, in acceleration?

I've noticed that it almost seems like the clutch is slipping at initial acceleration when I use 30gm Sliders and a mid range lag when I tried 35gm Sliders.

I went from the OEM rollers to the Dr Pulley 31 gram Sliders. I believe the 31 gram Sliders does have a small performance lag somewhere in the 20-35 MPH range. It does not feel like the clutch slipping.

I have an V3 HIT clutch, but I would rather test with the newer V4 HIT clutch so that it can help others.

I will have to check with Paul Wu how much a V4 HIT clutch with all of the various springs so I can test.

I would have thought the earlier MPH lockup would have been the best. I am curious why you have a higher MPH lockup ... what are the major reasons or decision factors.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: viaiator performance options   viaiator performance options I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 1:54 am

JeffR_ wrote:
The J. Costa gives by far the best performance and I didn't have any problems but I have read that some have. You may want to try the Malossi variator since it is more like the stock one but better performance.

I side-by-side tested the Malossi and J. Costa on a dyno.
While I didn't test for gas mileage, I will back Jeff's statement.
Malossi did give better performance than stock, but not as good as J. Costa.

Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Re: viaiator performance options   viaiator performance options I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 10:10 pm

JeffR and all:
Thanks for the input. As I mentioned, I am a bit reluctant to change the variator because I have been getting such good mpg. I should mention that I have hit a bit of triple digit speeds on each tank and still averaged more than 55 mpg. Overall, I have noticed that my rpms are normally running significantly lower than my older model (2007). At 60 mph the engine is only turning about 4500 rpms. At 70 mph it is turning about 5000 rpms. I am wondering if Honda made some changes to the OEM variator to lower the rpms. That said, I would still like a little better low end accelleration. I can feel the engine really start to pull when it hits about 6000 rpms, but I need to be traveling at about 80 mph to get into the power band. I am a large rider and I live over 5,000 ft above sea level. Sometimes I could use the extra boost at the low end for hills and passing.

Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: viaiator performance options   viaiator performance options I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2011 11:11 pm

The Scootist wrote:
I live over 5,000 ft above sea level.

If do eventually get a Power Commander, then you may need to run different maps at higher elevation.
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

PostSubject: Re: viaiator performance options   viaiator performance options I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 12:25 am

DCC,

If you hit 100 mph and still got 55 mpg I would not touch your variator either. You may try the K&N airfilter and, synthetic oil, and a PC. Another thing would be to buy a set of lighter rollers and only put 2 or 4 of them in. Just space them apart in equal locations to balance them out. I would think that if you put in 2 - 24 gram rollers, just on opposite sides of each other, that they would give you a bit more lower end and not hurt your gas mileage.

But if you are using the throttle and getting 55 mpg I would be careful not to touch things. Also, be very careful if you adjust your idle that you only turn the idle screw and not the 2-air mixture screws. I turned the 2-fuel mixture screws once and I need to take it back to the shop to get them balanced out/adjusted properly again. I would think that the K&N may help a bit but I would try 2 lighter rollers first. They are pretty cheap I think. Or ask someone on this site if they have 2 lighter rollers they could get rid of.
Back to top Go down
lesley & John
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
lesley & John

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-09-19

PostSubject: variator performance    viaiator performance options I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 11, 2011 3:14 pm

hi dcc im running a mallossi clutch with 24g mallossi rollers and a mallossi variator,standard exhaust and air filter .im sometimes returning between 100 miles and 130 miles to the light flashes but i like to use all 50 ponies.hope this is food for thought.at 70mph im turning 5500 80mph is 6000
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

PostSubject: Re: viaiator performance options   viaiator performance options I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 12:34 pm

I just ordered my power commander from Dynojet. I will have it installed when i take my bike in for it's 600 mile service - along with the tall Givi wind screen, mirror extenders, a superbrite head lamp, and the HyperPro springs (if they come in time). At my last fill up I got 55.8 mpg (201 miles on 3.6 gallons of gas). The flashing light has been turning on between 170 and 180 miles. As I mentioned before, I am reluctant to make any major changes to the variator or engine because I don't want to mess up my gas mileage. (too much). I may do as Jeff suggested and put 4 lower weight rollers in with the standard ones that Honda provides. This may give me just a little extra low end boost.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

PostSubject: Re: viaiator performance options   viaiator performance options I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 12, 2011 12:49 pm

Dynojet Tuning centers within 25 miles of Littleton, CO.

BLACK WIDOW CAMS 303-814-1709
3736 NORWOOD DRIVE LITTLETON, CO 80125
www.blackwidowcams.com

Fay Myers Motorcycle World 303-744-6632
9700 East Arapahoe Road Greenwood Village, CO 80112
www.faymyers.com

Faster Motorsports 303-825-0975
999 Vallejo St. Denver, CO 80204
www.fastermotosports.net

Erico Motorsports 303-308-1811
2855 Walnut Drive Denver, CO 80205
www.ericomotorsports.com

Roadies Performance Inc 303-420-8782
5675 Olde Wadsworth Blvd Arvada, CO 80002

Fay Myers also appears to be authorized Honda dealer and repair shop. If you can get your warranty work done at any authorized Honda dealer, then their may be an advantage to getting all the work done at the same shop you dyno tune at.
Dan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: viaiator performance options   viaiator performance options I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

viaiator performance options
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Honda Silver Wing :: Accessories & Modifications-
Jump to: