Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
something strange I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 1:55 pm

» Top Box considering that Hi-vis and LED's are my friends
something strange I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Today at 12:54 pm

» Drive belt prices
something strange I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 5:26 am

» Latest Observations On My New To Me 2004 SW
something strange I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
something strange I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 7:27 pm

» New to Me Swing
something strange I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» I said Farewell...
something strange I_icon_minitimeby Swingbatter Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:12 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
something strange I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:05 am

» Rear shock longevity
something strange I_icon_minitimeby LarryD Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:11 pm

» YSS rear shocks for sale
something strange I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:01 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

something strange

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2010-04-26

something strange Empty
PostSubject: something strange   something strange I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 12:20 pm

Took the Swing out for a ride. Opened throttle Got up to about 60 MPH and it felt like someone turned the key off. Rolled the throttled down and then up, back to normal, Then noticed all Gauges and horn were not working. Nursed it home with up and down throttle. Checked Fuses and the 15Amp Fuse for Gauges and horn was bad, Replaced fuse Went for a ride and all was good. I did add 2 small LED lights on the rear of the Swing since I last rode. If I blew a fuse then i think it would be lighting related. Unless it was just a normal tired old fuse that decided to lay down Anyone ever had this Problem. The fuel shutting down has me thinking
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

something strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: something strange   something strange I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 1:23 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PHXScooterBill
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
PHXScooterBill

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2011-06-07

something strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: something strange   something strange I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 1:43 pm

Tonylumps,
I had the same exact thing happen to me a month and a half ago. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't pass a certain RPM without nearly stalling unless I backed off the throttle and all my gauges and horn were out. I lived with it for two days awaiting an appointment with the dealer. They checked the tranny and all was good, so no snagging drive belt. When they checked the wiring, they found the the previous owner in their words did a "cheap home job" of wiring my aftermarket accessory fog lights and bright rear LED's. Apparently the wiring wasn't securely fastened and was chafing to where it ended up exposed and was grounding against the frame under the panels thus shorting out the system and blowing the fuses. And although the dealer didn't seem to think this should cause a near stall, every other biker I talked to said it would. Thus the dealer re-insulated and zip-ted the wiring and only charged me for the two hours labor of taking panels and the transmission apart to examine everything and the bike has never had that problem since. I hope knowledge of this experience helps you.
Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

something strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: something strange   something strange I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 2:15 pm

Bill I am going down to the Garage now and check everything Will let you know
Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

something strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: something strange   something strange I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 2:51 pm

Bill I checked everything no rubbing I wiggled all wiring that I added with ignition on nothing flickered. So now I think I did a no no. I pulled my other bike into the garage and jumped on the Swing in a hurry so I don't think I even looked at any of the Gauges to see if they were working . Just took off. So may have shorted out something while I was installing the lights sure hope so, But put a couple of extra fuses in the tool pouch in case I have to get it off of the road.Like i said it ran fine when I replaced the fuse
Back to top Go down
PHXScooterBill
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
PHXScooterBill

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2011-06-07

something strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: something strange   something strange I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 7:07 pm

Tony, when I installed new fuses, they just kept burning out. Some when the bike first fired up and others not until half-way up the road. The mechanic complained that the "unprofessional" job done was by the front fog lights tied into the tail lights and they couldn't figure out why. They thought the front fogs were trying to work off the back system not knowing that there were two accessory lights: fogs up front and brakers in back. Therefore when you open my panel door to the taillights under the seat, you can see the "tie-in" wires now cut. Now however, those nice bright brake diodes under my Givi box mount plate no longer work. They gave me some connectors to reconnect them, as it seems they didn't want to reconnect it themselves in case that would re-short the system. I think I can reconnect them since it was probably the mech's re-insulating and properly zip-tying the wiring that prevented further chafing and thus shorting out. But I just haven't gotten around to it.
It seems you also have wired up aftermarket stuff. Take some panels completely off and look real good rather than just shaking or pulling the wires as there is the possibility that the exposed or chafed wire is touching metal deep under said panels. All the while watch the movement of which wire makes your instrument cluster go out. Hope you find it. If not, I don't know what to tell you other than my experience with this.
I read somewhere on here (but I can't seem to find it through search) that it could also be a loose or dirty spark plug or loose spark plug wire. Check those too.
Back to top Go down
tonylumps
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
tonylumps

something strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: something strange   something strange I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 04, 2011 7:19 pm

Bill I ran a wiring harness for a trailer last year and used Dennis Tailight plug. I just tapped into it. Very easy to see if there was a problem with the tail light connection. For the next couple of rides I will stay close to home Because when it happened today I was only about 2 Miles from my house But i think I shorted the fuse when I was making the connection and did not notice the Gauges not working when I left.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

something strange Empty
PostSubject: Re: something strange   something strange I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

something strange
Page 1 of 1